Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Constant Freeze When Running Virus Scanner


05 Nov 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home 64bit
 
 
Constant Freeze When Running Virus Scanner

Every time i run my Webroot Spysweeper with Virus Scan (used this program for years) i get a system hang/freeze every time the scan gets to the file
SysWOW64/ntdll.dll
It freezes at that file constantly....nothing happens cant move mouse cant use keyboard cant use anything, have to reboot pc via the restart button

What can be causing this? i tried reinstalling the virus program (this is a relatively new PC build....however i have had scans run fine in the past so id love to know what the issue is?) only thing i can MAYBE think of is i havent run a scan since switching GPUs i switched from a 9800GTX+ to a XFX 6850 but I did all the necessary things to swap drivers from nvidia to ATI

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Nov 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Hi, Jason. Sorry you are having problems. Please read these threads and post back. We will be glad to help you.

[1 - Novice] How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home 64bit
 
 

but im not BSODing im locking up thats it...... would this even do anything?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Nov 2010   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jasonp12 View Post
but im not BSODing im locking up thats it...... would this even do anything?

Event viewer would give you some clues

There are several ways to find what the problem is. The best is to go into event viewer (type eventvwr in search). Go to the windows log>application tab.

You want to look for critical errors (they have red in the left column ).

When you find them you want to look for critical errors that say app hang, app crash, or anything that relates to the problem.

When you find them please note the event ID, and the source codes and tell us what they are.

Let us know if you need help with any of this.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #5

Windows 7 Home 64bit
 
 

well i found not critical errors thats relate (i can recreate the problem every time by running my Webroot Spysweeper)

this is what comes up on Event Viewer

The description for Event ID 0 from source SignInAssistant cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

g_ WLIDInitializationTimerQueue.Initialize started (50:47:263)


no critical errors relate to it at all.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jasonp12 View Post
well i found not critical errors thats relate (i can recreate the problem every time by running my Webroot Spysweeper)

this is what comes up on Event Viewer

The description for Event ID 0 from source SignInAssistant cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

g_ WLIDInitializationTimerQueue.Initialize started (50:47:263)


no critical errors relate to it at all.....
Well despite informational warnings only it is progress. Have you tried re-installing Webroot?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Uninstall Webroot Spysweeper and leave it uninstalled. Many third party antivirus, firewall, antimalware programs, and security suites do not run well with Win 7. They cause conflicts. This is because of Win 7's own enhanced security measures. Malwarebytes is one that does run well with Win 7. See how your system does with Spysweeper uninstalled. It is possible there is a conflict between Spysweeper and other security software you are running.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #8

Windows 7 Home 64bit
 
 

but it was working perfeclty fine before with no hangs.....i did hear it had some issues but wasnt sure sucks cuz i have 150days left in my webroot subscription

and its causing no performance issues its just i cant scan my computer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #9

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jasonp12 View Post
but it was working perfeclty fine before with no hangs.....i did hear it had some issues but wasnt sure sucks cuz i have 150days left in my webroot subscription

and its causing no performance issues its just i cant scan my computer

If you cant scan your computer what good does the subscription do you?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2010   #10

Windows 7 Home 64bit
 
 

exactly my point of why i wanna get this fixed so i can scan my computer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Constant Freeze When Running Virus Scanner




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Constant Freeze When Running Virus Scanner
Thread Forum
Solved Virus scanner installed on USB flash drive System Security
which virus scanner is the best? System Security
Constant freeze? Bsod? :( BSOD Help and Support
Constant freeze? Bsod? BSOD Help and Support
Free ClamWin virus scanner moves most of Windows into quarantine System Security
Constant Freeze/Crashing While Running Virus Scan BSOD Help and Support
Virus Scanner on both? Virtualization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33