Don't worry about not knowing this stuff - it'll come with time and experience.
We'll work on the SoundMax stuff once we've finished all the other stuff.
What exactly does the error message say when it crashes?
I never installed the Catalyst Control Center myself. I'd suggest downloading the Driver Only
(it's below the Catalyst Control Center on the download page) from the ATI website ( Global Provider of Innovative Graphics, Processors and Media Solutions | AMD
), then uninstall all the ATI stuff from Control Panel...Programs...Uninstall a program, then install the freshly downloaded Driver Only.
As for the driver updates, this is what to do:
- rename 1 of the drivers (from ending in .sys to ending in .BAK
- use the CD/DVD programs and see which one is broken.
- if you don't find any of the programs to be broken, don't worry about it (but remember it in case of future issues)
- then do the same with the other driver (rename, use, don't worry) :0)
Once you find the name of the program, then you can update it (if desired) or remove it.
I've had .NET issues at work. Please do the following:
- uninstall all .NET in reverse numerical order (uninstall v4, then v3/3.5, then v2, then v1) until all are gone
- revisit Windows Update and ask it to install all of them.
Then (FWIW) try the SoundMax driver again.