|02 Dec 2010||#1|
| || |
Good Utilites when things go wrong
Long post on some utilities I must have for Windows 7 and below. At the end I have a question on a program called Spin Rite. Skip to that if you have used it. Also reply with any utilities that you find to be a MUST HAVE on your system. I'm always looking for new toys. Thanks!
I want to list a few utilities (I love utilities) that people need when deal with windows issues. I'll list a few I have and a one I want.
- Acronis image
- EASEUS (best free - but 64 bit is not free)
- Macrium Reflect (Free!) 64 and 32 bit
( I think Acronis is getting bloated, switched to Macrium)
- Synctoy - nice utility that copys directories you want to a different HD or folder.
I use for "My documents" backup. Fast easy no need for special program to get your files back.
- Rstudio data recovery (not free) but it will get any data back on any type of partition. Very nice.
Winternals Administrator Pak 2006 - Boots from CD and gives you windows like interface so you can access broken NTFS boot drives like the old Dos days.
Knoppix - Boot OS linix - gives OS and HD access when your win OS is non bootable.
- Spybot search and Destroy
- Malwarebytes anti spy
- Avira antispy
- CCC cleaner
All the cleaners listed are free, and bloat free.
- Tune Up Utilites is nice but not free. You can get a FREE 30 day if you just want to clean you system once and check it out. Not crippled.
- IDE/SATA to USB box. - It was like 15.00 at new egg. I was not expecting much but I love it. If you have old HDs lying around and don't want to hook them up to a PC this is for you. You can take any HD and just plug this device into it then plug the USB into any computer and WOW! you have access to all its files. Worked on HDs with bad boot sectors. Tried it on SATA and old IDE drives I had laying around. It allowed me to read them all and see the files. A must for any true PC geek. I use it all the time for friends computers. I just pull their non booting (Virus filled HD) out of their computer and plug it into this, then I can run any spyware cleaners from my PC to fix them. Its not bootable so any virus do not activate on the bad drives.
- ATOO - disk benchmark
- GPU Z
- CPU Z
- Core Temp
- Total Commander file manager - Still love that over anything in windows
- paintnet (great free paint prg)
- VirtualCloneDrive by slysoft. - Great company free !! Will map a ISO of a DVD, CD game movie as if its a real drive. Works, no crashes. Also makes AnyDVD - dupe any DVD on the planet easy too.
- Prime 95
- A43 File Manager
- Directory opus file manager
- PDF Exchange viewer editor - FREE and awesome. Take any PDF and hightlight it like you do in word. No gimicks.
Contol Runner 4.0 - file launcher
- MSI afterburner - great for benching and monitoring your video card fans during load. Can even set your fan speed depending on gpu temp. Works well with any card.
- IObit Game Booster - it really does not speed up a game. What it does is allow you to turn off any services and tasks before you play games. This can be done manually but is time consuming. You just click the process and services you want off and it will turn them off and save a config so you can just do 1 click and they are all back on they way there were before your gaming session.
- Format Factory - FREE if you make you tube videos or want to. Or if you use FRAPS to record game videos. You know those files are HUGE. This can take a 1 gig FRAP and make it a 80 meg mp3 HD file that looks almost as good. Most other apps like this are not free or they are crippled. Lots of formats to save in, even one for cell phones.
- Tweak 7
Wants! - Spin Rite (NOT FREE) anyone tried this? Check out the video, it looks like a great utility for HDs.
GRC*|*Hard drive data recovery software**
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Good Utilites when things go wrong|
|Taskbar icons "flash," but don't open, among other things going wrong||General Discussion|
|Many a things wrong with my PC.....?||Performance & Maintenance|
|10 Things Microsoft did wrong in fiscal 2010||News|
|So many things going wrong...||Installation & Setup|
|Warning! Glary Utilites/Iobit infected with Win32.Induc||System Security|
|Things are going terribly wrong...||General Discussion|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.