I am hoping I can call on your help once more to analyze some debugging info. I recently installed ATI Catalyst 10.12 drivers
and now whenever my system is idle for too long, the screen just goes black but the monitor is still powered on and the system is unresponsive. I have my computer set to go to a blank screen saver at 15 minutes and lock the system but also power off the monitor at 15 minutes so essentially both happen at the same time. I have tried putting the time out to 1 minute and watch it happen but it doesn't happen. It seems to only be when I step away from my machine for an extended period.
I then have to force power off and power it back on. Windows does report some kind of error occurred and uploaded data to microsoft as well as dump the kernel memory to file so it doesn't look like a hardware failure where it just locked up but some kind of windows issue. I'm trying to determine if it is in fact the Catalyst 10.12 drivers causing the bug but I'm not good at looking at dump files.
The strange thing is that I can use my computer normally, play 3D games for hours, put the computer to sleep, wake it up. The problem only occurs if I leave it turned on but idle for too long. It's happened about 5 times in a row now so it's definitely consistent and reproducible.
- x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
- the original installed OS on the system? Yes
- an OEM or full retail version? Full Retail
- OEM = came pre-installed on system
- Full Retail = you purchased it from retailer
- What is the age of system (hardware)? Within 2 years, most components within a year
- What is the age of OS installation (have you re-installed the OS?) Reinstalled within the last 3 months due to new motherboard.