Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Desktop not functioning correctly

11 Jan 2011   #1

Windows 7 ultimate 32bit
 
 
Desktop not functioning correctly

I logged into my Windows 7 pc yesterdy and I found that all my icons were not being displayed on the desktop and also I can not high-light the desktop with the lest mouse button. I can still get the right click menu. First thing I did was reboot but the problem is still there so I ended the process explorer.exe and started it as a new task. The problem was still there. I did a full virus,spyware and malware scan. I also ran hijack this but didn't find anything unusual. I have no idea what is causing the problem. If i naviate to the desktop in windows file manager i can see all my desktop icons and everything looks fine.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jan 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MattD00 View Post
I logged into my Windows 7 pc yesterdy and I found that all my icons were not being displayed on the desktop and also I can not high-light the desktop with the lest mouse button. I can still get the right click menu. First thing I did was reboot but the problem is still there so I ended the process explorer.exe and started it as a new task. The problem was still there. I did a full virus,spyware and malware scan. I also ran hijack this but didn't find anything unusual. I have no idea what is causing the problem. If i naviate to the desktop in windows file manager i can see all my desktop icons and everything looks fine.


What I would do is do a RESTORE POINT from a previous day that the problem didn't extist. That would at least get you back on level ground.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2011   #3

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Hi MattD00 - First thing I would try is a "System Restore" to an earlier point where you knew things were OK.

If the problems still persist - you may - (and I, not trying to scare you) you may have somehow corrupted the Windows OS in which case you'll have to do a fresh install unless you have a mirror image backup (in which case you could restore from that).

Do try System Restore and study the problem for a while before making any drastic move...... Good Luck with it - maybe somebody else will have a suggestion.

Ha, the Poster before me posted seconds before I did.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Jan 2011   #4

Windows 7 ultimate 32bit
 
 

I got a system restore fail. I am going to just leave it how it is for now
will do a clean install later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2011   #5

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MattD00 View Post
I got a system restore fail. I am going to just leave it how it is for now
will do a clean install later.
Pain though it may be you will be happier after a clean install. Good Luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MattD00 View Post
I got a system restore fail. I am going to just leave it how it is for now
will do a clean install later.
That is a great answer and the way I would go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2011   #7

Windows 7 ultimate 32bit
 
 
Fixed

Turns out I just acidently went into the view menu and unchecked "show desktop icons"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MattD00 View Post
Turns out I just acidently went into the view menu and unchecked "show desktop icons"
That's a good one. The OS did exactly what you told it to do.
Glad you were able to figure it out on your own. Great job!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Desktop not functioning correctly




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33