Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: problem starting my computer

12 Jan 2011   #1
Austin8868

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
problem starting my computer

My computer was working just fine this morning but when i got home today it wont boot windows or really anything. It shows the motherboard or processor wallpaper type thing when it first starts up just like always but after that it goes straight to a black screen with a white flashing bar in the top left hand corner. Its kind of like a command prompt. The only thing i can really do is press ctrl alt delete and that just restarts it. None of the f keys at the top work or anything.

I also have a back up of Windows on an external harddrive but im not sure how to boot windows from that since nothing is loading. The computer is only a few months old and has worked great up untill now.

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Jan 2011   #2
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Press the F8 key repeatedly at boot up or use the Startup disk.

Try this:
Safe Mode

Startup Repair
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

System Repair Disc - Create
System Recovery Options
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2011   #3
roman05

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

The exact same thing happened to me, I'm guessing you have automatic updates? My laptop screwed up after installing updates on 12.1.

Safe mode won't boot up for me, and none of the recovery options work except command prompt. To be precise, I'm getting a "memory 0x00000008 cannot be read" error.

I don't even have a physical copy of Windows since my laptop came with 7 Pro preinstalled...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jan 2011   #4
Austin8868

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Press the F8 key repeatedly at boot up or use the Startup disk.

Try this:
Safe Mode

Startup Repair
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

System Repair Disc - Create
System Recovery Options
I pressed f12 repeatedly and it gave me a boot menu. Is there anyway to disable this? I was going to download an auto shutdown/startup for when i wake up and get home from work but im guessing it wont do any good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2011   #5
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Austin8868 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Press the F8 key repeatedly at boot up or use the Startup disk.

Try this:
Safe Mode

Startup Repair
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

System Repair Disc - Create
System Recovery Options
I pressed f12 repeatedly and it gave me a boot menu. Is there anyway to disable this? I was going to download an auto shutdown/startup for when i wake up and get home from work but im guessing it wont do any good.
Why do you press F12?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2011   #6
Austin8868

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Alright i dont know if i have bad luck or what but yesterday i started up my computer and it just sat on the windows loading screen, so after 20 minutes i turned it off (pressed the power button untill it turned off) and i probably shouldnt of done it. Now it just sits on the motherboard screen at the first and nothing works at all. I have pressed every key and still nothing. Is there anyway to fix this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2011   #7
Austin8868

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Austin8868 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Press the F8 key repeatedly at boot up or use the Startup disk.

Try this:
Safe Mode

Startup Repair
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

System Repair Disc - Create
System Recovery Options
I pressed f12 repeatedly and it gave me a boot menu. Is there anyway to disable this? I was going to download an auto shutdown/startup for when i wake up and get home from work but im guessing it wont do any good.
Why do you press F12?
it gave me a boot menu when i pressed f12
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2011   #8
Austin8868

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Anyone? im getting desprate here!

Anyways after letting it sit all night and all today untill 12 it finally booted windows (kinda) For almost 8 hours it has been doing a start up repair "searhing for problems" How long does this process usally take?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #9
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Austin8868 View Post
Anyone? im getting desprate here!

Anyways after letting it sit all night and all today untill 12 it finally booted windows (kinda) For almost 8 hours it has been doing a start up repair "searhing for problems" How long does this process usally take?
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 problem starting my computer




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
.Fmp files problem when starting computer
Hey, I don't know if it is the good place to post that, but I've got a BIG problem. My computer (pc windows 7) was getting slow, so I decided to clean it. I deleted some software that, I tought, were useless and donwloaded avast anti-virus for free. I did a scan and avast deleted some files. ...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD when starting computer in morning/bran new computer
Hi, iv decided to get some input to try and resolve this issue im having with my newly constructed PC. i will get straight to the point. i have just put together these new parts. Intel i5-3450 LGA1155 ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 8 gigs ballistix by crucial 2-4gb ddr3 1600 (pc3-12800) radeon...
BSOD Help and Support
problem when starting computer
I turned on my computer today and i get this box. Cant figure out what i may have done or not done to get this. Any help greatly appreciated. C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Temp\210827Log.iniis Lost
General Discussion
Computer not starting at all
Last night i shut down and removed my plug from the pc because of lightning but today i tried to start my pc and it wont start at all. The lights inside my pc are all on so i know there is power going through it but when i press start button it wont turn on so i took my pc removed everything...
General Discussion
Computer not starting
I have no idea what I should do, I think I may need my windows disk but I don't know http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii485/endlessXdreaming/4cee0c78.jpg I don't know what it trying to say since my min pin stepped on the screen, it's been working fine but this is what showed up when I tried...
General Discussion
Problem starting up computer
My netbook when it starts up says"Disk read error Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".Please help.:cry:
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App