Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem with my whole computer, about to threw the window...


23 Feb 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Problem with my whole computer about to throw it through the window...

I guess this is where i post this im not sure just really frustrated. To start my computer takes FOREVER to start up im talking 5-8 hours. First it sits on the MSI motherboard screen for a few hours then on the loading windows screen for a few hours.This has happend once before just not near as bad so i knew not to turn it off just put it in hibernation and that was working great. Well yesterday i got my Atrix (cell phone) and installed the motorola drivers to sync my media to my phone well my computer crashed and turned it self off, and when i tried to turn it on it took almost a full day but it finally booted. But sure enough it crashed again. So the next morning i got the boot menu pulled up and did a back up, nothing was changed except my wallpaper for some reason but it was working so i took of the new drivers did a full virus scan, defrag, wiped all of the free space the whole nine yards and it worked for an hour but it crashed once again. All of my icons and the windows bar at the bottom disappeared. but lucky for my i have 3 monitors and my widgets didn't disappear so i was able to pull up a firefox browser and ask you guys what i can do.

I know this is long and kinda confusing but im desperate here and very tired, i have been up since 3 this morning. Im about 5 seconds from throwing this thing out the windows and hooking up my old Dell with XP and Ubuntu


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Feb 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Sounds like a dying motherboard.
The MSI post is completely unrelated to the version of windows you are running.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Sounds like a dying motherboard.
The MSI post is completely unrelated to the version of windows you are running.
So what do i need to do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Feb 2011   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

If the motherboard is in fact on it's way out, replacing it is really all that can be done. It's a hardware matter.

If you are accurately describing it though and the motherboard (msi) post is staying on screen for that long. It is definitely a hardware matter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
If the motherboard is in fact on it's way out, replacing it is really all that can be done. It's a hardware matter.

If you are accurately describing it though and the motherboard (msi) post is staying on screen for that long. It is definitely a hardware matter.
That was the last thing i wanted to hear. Atleast theres a warranty on it. If this is the problem i could just take my harddrive put in in a new computer and everything be the same right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2011   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

If you replace with the same motherboard, it shouldn't be an issue. If you replace with a different model motherboard It could prove problematic.

If you are talking about just reading the drive, it should read in any computer, but as for booting with it. You need similar hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
If you replace with the same motherboard, it shouldn't be an issue. If you replace with a different model motherboard It could prove problematic.

If you are talking about just reading the drive, it should read in any computer, but as for booting with it. You need similar hardware.
Oh great. I used my last windows 7 upgrade on this one. Would it work if i built a new computer with an MSI motherboard?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2011   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Oh you misunderstood, you can continue to use your key so long as it's only in use on one computer at a time (and they will know) You will have to reformat and reinstall windows if the hardware changes though. This is due to the different system settings and drivers required for the new hardware. Not because of a windows key limitation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2011   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Oh you misunderstood, you can continue to use your key so long as it's only in use on one computer at a time (and they will know) You will have to reformat and reinstall windows if the hardware changes though. This is due to the different system settings and drivers required for the new hardware. Not because of a windows key limitation.
Oh alright. Im going to bed man thanks for your help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2011   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

If you replace the bad MSI motherboard with a new MSI motherboard that has the same chipset, you can probably just connect the hard drive to the new motherboard and start up. If it is a different chipset, there is a greater chance of issues. But I have heard of people doing it successfully. It might save you from reinstalling.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem with my whole computer, about to threw the window...




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33