Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Black screen at start up, can't access drives


26 Mar 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Black screen at start up, can't access drives

Hi. I tried reading the forums, but I didn't quite get information on the exact problem I have. When I boot (I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits) I initially got an error message that said I needed the .NET Framework version 2.05 or above in order to use a program called Soluto, I click accept and the computer takes me to the user logon screen. After I enter my password I get a black screen, so I started troubleshooting.

I first tried running on safe mode, and I got the black screen again, so I tried ctrl-alt-del to see if I could open the task manager. I was successful. From there I managed to run explorer.exe as a new task.

At this point I can see all my files using the search bar on the start menu by writing their addresses (as in d:/randomfolder/example.jpg) but I can't open them by clicking on them, nor can I run any application that is pinned to the task bar by clicking on them because I get different errors (such as visual c++ runtime error r6034 and a comment saying something along the lines of "incompatible shell") and I get mixed results from the task manager. However, I can open regedit.exe from the task manager, although I did not use it at all. All of this happens even after I tried a clean boot

I know the hard drive works because I dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 on this machine and I can open the files on my C: drive from there. So I just decided to copy every file in the drive and try other options.

My fist choice was to go to a restore point using the tools in my laptop, but my computer couldn't find any, I then tried to use my backup partition to wipe the C: drive and reinstall windows 7 with factory settings, and the computer couldn't find the drive.

I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be exactly, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to try to solve the problem via the task manager/registry editor. I would appreciate any help that would lead to having windows 7 running as intended. Right now my best guess would be to back up every partition in my hard drive, then wipe everything out and start from scratch, but there must be a better way. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.


Update: I managed to open firefox through the task manager and I can browse the web with it, but when I try to download anything it gets cancelled. I tried downloding the executable on the BSOD thread, but I don't even have the option to run it

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Mar 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pantabulosin View Post
Hi. I tried reading the forums, but I didn't quite get information on the exact problem I have. When I boot (I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits) I initially got an error message that said I needed the .NET Framework version 2.05 or above in order to use a program called Soluto, I click accept and the computer takes me to the user logon screen. After I enter my password I get a black screen, so I started troubleshooting.

I first tried running on safe mode, and I got the black screen again, so I tried ctrl-alt-del to see if I could open the task manager. I was successful. From there I managed to run explorer.exe as a new task.

At this point I can see all my files using the search bar on the start menu by writing their addresses (as in d:/randomfolder/example.jpg) but I can't open them by clicking on them, nor can I run any application that is pinned to the task bar by clicking on them because I get different errors (such as visual c++ runtime error r6034 and a comment saying something along the lines of "incompatible shell") and I get mixed results from the task manager. However, I can open regedit.exe from the task manager, although I did not use it at all. All of this happens even after I tried a clean boot

I know the hard drive works because I dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 on this machine and I can open the files on my C: drive from there. So I just decided to copy every file in the drive and try other options.

My fist choice was to go to a restore point using the tools in my laptop, but my computer couldn't find any, I then tried to use my backup partition to wipe the C: drive and reinstall windows 7 with factory settings, and the computer couldn't find the drive.

I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be exactly, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to try to solve the problem via the task manager/registry editor. I would appreciate any help that would lead to having windows 7 running as intended. Right now my best guess would be to back up every partition in my hard drive, then wipe everything out and start from scratch, but there must be a better way. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
From task manager try running control.exe and using that to create a new user account. Use task manager to log out and then login as the new user.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
tried control.exe

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
From task manager try running control.exe and using that to create a new user account. Use task manager to log out and then login as the new user.
Thank you for replying. I tried what you said and I got the following error message:

::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0

Interfaz no compatible


that second bit means something like "incompatible interface" in spanish.

I should add that I tried to log on as a guest earlier and I basically got kicked out of the session and sent back to the login screen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Mar 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pantabulosin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
From task manager try running control.exe and using that to create a new user account. Use task manager to log out and then login as the new user.
Thank you for replying. I tried what you said and I got the following error message:

::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\0

Interfaz no compatible


that second bit means something like "incompatible interface" in spanish.

I should add that I tried to log on as a guest earlier and I basically got kicked out of the session and sent back to the login screen.
Explorer CLSIDs are unregistered for your account. Try running LUSRMGR.MSC to create the new user.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
tried LUSRMGR.MSC

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post

Explorer CLSIDs are unregistered for your account. Try running LUSRMGR.MSC to create the new user.
Thanks again. I tried it and my computer tells me that I can't use "users and local users" because "I'm not running windows 7 home Premium", and instead it implies that I may be using Windows Personal. However, it does let me go file->options->free disk space. The about section of the Microsoft Management Console shows a Windows 7 Home Premium logo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pantabulosin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post

Explorer CLSIDs are unregistered for your account. Try running LUSRMGR.MSC to create the new user.
Thanks again. I tried it and my computer tells me that I can't use "users and local users" because "I'm not running windows 7 home Premium", and instead it implies that I may be using Windows Personal. However, it does let me go file->options->free disk space. The about section of the Microsoft Management Console shows a Windows 7 Home Premium logo
Thankfully there are still other ways to do this. Try running cmd.exe from task manager and executing these commands replacing "name" with the username you wish to use:

net user name /add
net localgroup administrators name /add
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Tried cmd.exe

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post

Thankfully there are still other ways to do this. Try running cmd.exe from task manager and executing these commands replacing "name" with the username you wish to use:

net user name /add
net localgroup administrators name /add
Once again, thank you for your help. I tried your advice and got the following:

net user hola /add worked

net localgroup administrators hola /add yielded system error 1376

Also, I tried to enter a session with the new username, and the computer did the following:

closing session->black screen->immediately back to log on screen and
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pantabulosin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post

Thankfully there are still other ways to do this. Try running cmd.exe from task manager and executing these commands replacing "name" with the username you wish to use:

net user name /add
net localgroup administrators name /add
Once again, thank you for your help. I tried your advice and got the following:

net user hola /add worked

net localgroup administrators hola /add yielded system error 1376

Also, I tried to enter a session with the new username, and the computer did the following:

closing session->black screen->immediately back to log on screen and
That's telling you that the administrators group does not exist! Perhaps it's been renamed by whatever terrible software has caused all this damage. You can list the groups with this command and try to determine which as the administrators group:

net localgroup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pantabulosin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post

Thankfully there are still other ways to do this. Try running cmd.exe from task manager and executing these commands replacing "name" with the username you wish to use:

net user name /add
net localgroup administrators name /add
Once again, thank you for your help. I tried your advice and got the following:

net user hola /add worked

net localgroup administrators hola /add yielded system error 1376

Also, I tried to enter a session with the new username, and the computer did the following:

closing session->black screen->immediately back to log on screen and
and?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2011   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
That's telling you that the administrators group does not exist! Perhaps it's been renamed by whatever terrible software has caused all this damage. You can list the groups with this command and try to determine which as the administrators group:

net localgroup

Ok, I wrote that command and I got (roughly translated)

Alias for\\myname-VAIO

___________________________....

*Administrators (it actually says Administradores, and it's what I should have written. Language barriers....)
*HomeUsers
*IIS_IUSRS
*Guests
*Event Registry Readers
*Users
*distributed COM Users
*System monitor users
*Performance registry users
The command has been completed correctly

So I tried running net localgroup Administradores hola /add and the command works, and when I try to log on with the new username I get a blue screen (kind of like the old school windows desktops). I didn't log out of this session if that's of any use

I want to stress how thankfull I am for your help, as I was very unlikely to come up with any of this stuff on my own, and even if it turns out that I need to wipe my C drive to reinstall windows from scratch at least I'll have a bunch of tools for next time (though I hope there'll be no next time).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Black screen at start up, can't access drives




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Black screen at start up, can't access drives
Thread Forum
Black screen upon start up General Discussion
Acer won't start, Black screen / Windows failed to start General Discussion
Black Screen During Win 7 Start up General Discussion
Black screen after windows start up doesn't go to login screen BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 Black Screen (Can't access desktop) General Discussion
Black screen after start-up BSOD Help and Support
Black screen at start up General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33