Well, I can't figure out how to update to SP1.
Independent of my Error Message problem, I need to resolve this.
I worked through this page: You do not have the option of downloading Windows 7 SP1 when you use Windows Update to check for updates
(1) SP1 doesn't appear under Computer Properties
(2) Windows Update says I am up-to-date, doesn't offer SP1
(3) I confirmed Update 976902 is installed (precursor to SP1)
(4) I don't find Safe Central in the list of programs, so apparently this is not a problem
(5) I tried downloading Update 2454826 and I got the message "This update is not applicable to your computer". This suggests the problem might be the Intel graphics driver. I ran the DirectX Diagnostics Tools and found the driver versions. They are not those listed as a problem. However, I still went to the Intel site and ran the Intel Driver Update Utility. It told me the Intel HD Graphics driver is a "customized computer manufacturer driver." So, apparently, HP installed its own driver.
(6) I never used vLite, but I don't know if HP used it.
So, I could either:
(1) Try to wrestle with HP regarding the graphics driver, or
(2) Try to download SP1 from the download center.
I decided to try the SP1 download. When I get here Download details: Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)
I need help on which one to download.
Three hours of this is more fun than I can stand.
So, please guide me on which one to download..............or tell me I need to do something else.