Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Video crashes on multiple systems

13 May 2011   #1
cbraham

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Video crashes on multiple systems

I am having this exact same issue (same system almost) and here is what I have found (still haven't fixed it on original system).

I have updated drivers for the video card to the latest: no effect
I have placed the video card in a different computer with the same motherboard: Same problems appear with that computer
I have placed the video card in a computer that does not have the same motherboard: No failure in that system.
*I have placed a different video card in the originally crashing system and it works flawlessly.
I have wiped windows and started fresh: system works until I install updated graphics drivers.


My theory is that something is wrong between the graphics card and the motherboard but I can't seem to understand why this problem wasn't occurring from the beginning.

Any ideas?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 May 2011   #2
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbraham View Post
I am having this exact same issue (same system almost) and here is what I have found (still haven't fixed it on original system).

I have updated drivers for the video card to the latest: no effect
I have placed the video card in a different computer with the same motherboard: Same problems appear with that computer
I have placed the video card in a computer that does not have the same motherboard: No failure in that system.
*I have placed a different video card in the originally crashing system and it works flawlessly.
I have wiped windows and started fresh: system works until I install updated graphics drivers.


My theory is that something is wrong between the graphics card and the motherboard but I can't seem to understand why this problem wasn't occurring from the beginning.

Any ideas?
Hello,

I'd suspect the graphics card itself is faulty. I recommend you return it, if it's still under warranty.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2011   #3
cbraham

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Interestingly I have gone through some more trouble shooting and found that an older January NVidia Driver has been keeping my system stable for 4 hours so far.

I am not quite sure what this means because on other systems I can use the latest drivers with this EXACT card but on this system and another system with the same MOBO model it will BSOD every few minutes with the latest drivers. After I downgraded the drivers everything seems to work but I have only had it fixed for a few hours.

I am still interested in what is causing the issue. For now I won't return the card because gigabyte (still a GTS 450) requires you to pay shipping on their RMA requirements. I don't want to risk paying shipping both ways and not get anything but my same card back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 May 2011   #4
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbraham View Post
Interestingly I have gone through some more trouble shooting and found that an older January NVidia Driver has been keeping my system stable for 4 hours so far.

I am not quite sure what this means because on other systems I can use the latest drivers with this EXACT card but on this system and another system with the same MOBO model it will BSOD every few minutes with the latest drivers. After I downgraded the drivers everything seems to work but I have only had it fixed for a few hours.

I am still interested in what is causing the issue. For now I won't return the card because gigabyte (still a GTS 450) requires you to pay shipping on their RMA requirements. I don't want to risk paying shipping both ways and not get anything but my same card back.
What else is the same between the systems with the same boards? PSU? BIOS version?

You may try flashing the BIOS to the latest version, if not done already.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2011   #5
cbraham

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Interestingly the two systems that the card causes crashes on are identical. The system the card works on has nothing the same and is my HTPC I build 4 years ago. I built two computers with the same hardware except the graphics cards because I wanted higher power graphics. Every other piece of the system is the same, (case, psu, ram, mobo) One system has a few more HDs and no CD drive (the one that was stable to begin with).

Oh and an update... the driver revert didn't fix the problem but it helped. Crashed sometime after I posted, I was away when it happened. Now it BSOD's every time I log in within seconds.

Does Win 7 update drivers without your permission?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #6
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbraham View Post
Interestingly the two systems that the card causes crashes on are identical. The system the card works on has nothing the same and is my HTPC I build 4 years ago. I built two computers with the same hardware except the graphics cards because I wanted higher power graphics. Every other piece of the system is the same, (case, psu, ram, mobo) One system has a few more HDs and no CD drive (the one that was stable to begin with).

Oh and an update... the driver revert didn't fix the problem but it helped. Crashed sometime after I posted, I was away when it happened. Now it BSOD's every time I log in within seconds.

Does Win 7 update drivers without your permission?
Every now and then, driver updates will be released on Windows Update, in the Optional Updates section. Typically, a driver will never be updated without your express permission.

Have you tried flashing the BIOS on the problem machines?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2011   #7
cbraham

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I have not tried the BIOS flashing because I have never done it before. I guess at this point I have nothing to do but try it. I will let you know how it went.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #8
cbraham

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

The BIOS upgrade did nothing for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #9
gregrocker

 

Have you tried every driver for that card, if necessary going back to Vista?

Have you tried reinstalling the card again one more time?

Have you tried swapping out the card, even temporarily, to see if it solves the issue. Then you at least have certainty.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2011   #10
cbraham

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I have tried a different card and that card worked fine. The card has been reinstalled numerous times.

I have tried about 4 different driver versions. While it would be a great test in rigor to install every driver I don't think it is necessary since the card USED to work using the version off of the CD that came with the card and now it doesn't work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Video crashes on multiple systems




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Random BSOD and Crashes - VFX & Video diting, HD Video Playback, 3D
Hello all, I am looking for some assistance as to what is causing my computer to crash. It doesn't happen insanely often, but the way it crashes makes me think there's a hardware issue going on. I am mostly thinking it's either my CPU or one of my two graphics cards installed, but I'd be more...
BSOD Help and Support
Multiple BSOD crashes while playing video
I've been experiencing a number of BSOD's over the last few month and I'd appreciate any help you guys can give. I've tried using Blue Screen Viewer to help me try and understand what the issues are. I've had the following issues (most recent first): KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED...
BSOD Help and Support
Multiple users on multiple win7-64 systems.. Easy way to clone one?
Greetings, We have three medical clinics and the front desk staff float from clinic to clinic depending on their schedule. I only started here a few months ago and I am working on upgrading their Dell xp systems to Windows 7 systems. The problem begins to crop up when say a user named...
Installation & Setup
Flash video crashes on multiple browsers
Sorry guys wasn't sure to post this in here or in software? My specs: eMachines notebook Intel Core i3 CPU 2GB RAM Windows 7 64 bit Browsers Installed IE8, Firefox 4 and Chrome AVG Free Edition installed
Browsers & Mail
multiple operating systems
hi how many operating systems can i run. at present i have windows 7 ultimate 32 bit running on my d/partition its 200gb in size. i also have windows xp sp3 home edition on c/drive.i also have E/partition on my pc its 220gb in size. my pc is capable of running windows 7 ultimate 64bit. i have...
Installation & Setup
Awful video quality on Windows 7 x64 bit systems
I recently upgraded from Vista 32 to Windows 7 x64 on my HTPC. I had been watching videos of various file types such as xvid and matroska, and have been impressed with the quality of these compressed formats. After upgrading I found that the video quality had degraded dramatically. All video files...
Music, Pictures & Video


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:59.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App