Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Missing Operating System

26 May 2011   #1
vpro

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
Missing Operating System

Hello

This is my first post on the forum so excuse me if i make any mistakes

Last night, i let my PC on to run a disk defragment and when i woke up i realized that it was crashed, my monitor was on but i couldn't see anything on the screen so i restarted the PC.

Then i got the error Missing Operating System.
I accessed the BIOS and i noticed that the Primary IDE Master/Slave were not detected.
Then i inserted the Windows 7 disk to perform a repair and it didn't detect any operating systems. I clicked on Load Drivers but i couldn't access any of the drivers and it asked me to perform a format.

I've also attached some pictures of the screen to help you understand the problem.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 May 2011   #2
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Welcome vpro

It looks like disk defrag may have wiped your bootable OS. It looks like your bios only shows you have 2 SATA HD connected to the MB. If you do not have any IDE HDs, that is why Primary Master/Slave were not detected. Normally the Bootable SATA HD should be on the first SATA connection on the MB. Your 5th pic, in the background says (4) Hard Disk Drives ? Could you please give a few more details of your hardware specs ? How much data & programs were on your Boot HD ?

I have had a long 16 hour work day, already so I don't want to advise you what do do yet without more info & hopefully some more of our Guru members will see your thread also.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2011   #3
Sam The Techie

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)
 
 

I thing disc defrag may have come across an error whilst running, it could be worth running a hard drive test that are in most BIOS's as it may indicate a damaged sector or similar.

Also it may be worth trying to recover the data from your HDD, maybe using an application such as recuva.

One more idea could be using a linux ubuntu bootable disc so that you can access the file system and have a look whats on the HDD that way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 May 2011   #4
vpro

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Welcome vpro

It looks like disk defrag may have wiped your bootable OS. It looks like your bios only shows you have 2 SATA HD connected to the MB. If you do not have any IDE HDs, that is why Primary Master/Slave were not detected. Normally the Bootable SATA HD should be on the first SATA connection on the MB. Your 5th pic, in the background says (4) Hard Disk Drives ? Could you please give a few more details of your hardware specs ? How much data & programs were on your Boot HD ?

I have had a long 16 hour work day, already so I don't want to advise you what do do yet without more info & hopefully some more of our Guru members will see your thread also.
Hello and thanks for your help.

I have 2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA.

The 4 Hard Disk Drives are:
1)Local Disk(C: )
2)Local Disk(D: )
3)Local Disk(E: )
4)Boot(X: )

I tried to reboot my PC few minutes ago and i got a BSOD when i tried to boot from my Windows 7 disc :S
IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
Then i restarted my PC and tried again and it booted fine from the Windows 7 disc.

I added new pictures below.







My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2011   #5
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2011   #6
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

I'm intrigued as to what's happened to your boot partition.

On a clean install Windows 7 will create a boot partition of 100Mb as the first partition on Drive C, yet yours shows as 33Mb on Drive X.

Check what's showing in Disk Management rather than Windows Explorer and see which partition(s) are marked as active. Although I'm no expert there seems to be something badly amiss here.

My Disk Management layout:

Attachment 156632
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2011   #7
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
I'm intrigued as to what's happened to your boot partition.

On a clean install Windows 7 will create a boot partition of 100Mb as the first partition on Drive C, yet yours shows as 33Mb on Drive X.

Check what's showing in Disk Management rather than Windows Explorer and see which partition(s) are marked as active. Although I'm no expert there seems to be something badly amiss here.

My Disk Management layout:

Attachment 156632
Drive X, is the ram drive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2011   #8
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
I'm intrigued as to what's happened to your boot partition.

On a clean install Windows 7 will create a boot partition of 100Mb as the first partition on Drive C, yet yours shows as 33Mb on Drive X.

Check what's showing in Disk Management rather than Windows Explorer and see which partition(s) are marked as active. Although I'm no expert there seems to be something badly amiss here.

My Disk Management layout:

Attachment 156632
Drive X, is the ram drive
Thanks for that, I didn't know.

I'm not sure what a RAM drive does, but I'm assuming it speeds things up?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2011   #9
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

He can't get to disk mgmt, because he can't boot windows.

Therefore he is booting win7dvd/repair repair disc.

You could try a partition undelete function.

Free partition Wiz boot disc has a good one.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/parti...otable-cd.html

Boot it up, do a quick scan of the whole disk - the disk that your windows partition is on.

Tick ALL the partitions you want to keep, Yes, Apply.

See if that does it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Missing Operating System




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
missing operating system
today when i booted the system, it displayed error message missing operating system i have using computer since 1992, old days of windows 3.1 but never saw this message before in my whole life i was able to re install win 7 in one hour
General Discussion
Missing Operating System
Hi Have just registered to see if anyone has any ideas for a solution to a problem with my that is running Windows 7 (I think 64bit). It refuses to boot and just says "missing operating system". Using the repair option on a boot disc does not work (have tried 3 times) If I boot using a...
General Discussion
Missing operating system" error massage when system starts
Hai, "Missing operating system" massage is coming when i start my system and i am not able to start. I think because , i had given "mark partition as active" option for one hard dive (E) in disk management when last time i opened. it did not have any data. i did not know, this will make any...
General Discussion
missing operating system
help needed after shutting down my pc last night when i started this morning it says "missing operating system" i try to use my windows 7 dvd nothing is working too checked the BIOS if d hard-disk is not connected but is connected help plz
Hardware & Devices
Missing Operating System?
Ran Ccleaner last night on windows 7 64 and everything was fine. Then this morning when the computer re-started, it says missing operating system and windows will not start or read any discs. checked to make sure CD was 1st in the boot menu. And I am currently running diagnostics on my hard drive....
General Discussion
Missing operating system
Hi all, I have this message on my laptop. Unfortunately I bought it with Widows 7 instaled and no cd or dvd was given to me. I was told I can burn a cd on my own whih I never did. So is there anything I can do in that case? Please help me!
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App