Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WinDBG vs BSOD exe


05 Jun 2011   #1

Windows 7 x64 Pro
 
 
WinDBG vs BSOD exe

I'm slightly familiar with the BSOD_Windows7_....exe provided on this forum, but I also see reference to the Microsoft-provided WinDBG and would like to understand their purposes. The BSOD thing seems to be mostly a data collection tool, but doesn't have much built in debugging. Is that correct, or am I underestimating it?

"Debugging Tool for Windows" sort of implies it's a debugging tool rather than just a data collection tool. Is that correct, or is it's name an exaggeration? Is it worth installing? I currently have just the client part of .NET and WinDBG requires the full .NET; I'm reluctant to go through the hassle of installing it if WinDBG isn't going to buy me anything.

Pat

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jun 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pokeefe0001 View Post
I'm slightly familiar with the BSOD_Windows7_....exe provided on this forum, but I also see reference to the Microsoft-provided WinDBG and would like to understand their purposes. The BSOD thing seems to be mostly a data collection tool, but doesn't have much built in debugging. Is that correct, or am I underestimating it?

"Debugging Tool for Windows" sort of implies it's a debugging tool rather than just a data collection tool. Is that correct, or is it's name an exaggeration? Is it worth installing? I currently have just the client part of .NET and WinDBG requires the full .NET; I'm reluctant to go through the hassle of installing it if WinDBG isn't going to buy me anything.

Pat
The BSOD "thing" here is solely a data collection (from many sources) script. It collects the information for BSOD analysts to use winDB and other tools to figure out the problems with various systems and their components. It also collects some personal information which some users object to.

WindDB is the premier app for BSOD analysis and worth installing BUT required hundreds if not thousands of analysis before you will start to become familiar with it.

It is as much art as science and require much use.


Good Luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2011   #3

Windows 7 x64 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
WindDB is the premier app for BSOD analysis and worth installing BUT required hundreds if not thousands of analysis before you will start to become familiar with it.

It is as much art as science and require much use.
I seriously hope I will not have hundreds (let alone thousands) of needs for either tool. But I am experiencing occasional crashes (restarts with no BSOD even though I've requested no automatic restart), freezes, and (very rarely) hung reboots, so I'm looking for any help I can get. Maybe I'll give WinDBG a try.

BTW, I currently have BSOD_Windows7_Vista_v3.02_jcgriff2_.exe and I see there is now a Windows_NT6_BSOD_v3.03_jcgriff2_.exe. Is there anything significant in the name change - especially "Vista" vs. "NT6"? I assume Windows 7 is NT6. Yes?

Pat
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Jun 2011   #4

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
But I am experiencing occasional crashes (restarts with no BSOD even though I've requested no automatic restart), freezes, and (very rarely) hung reboots, so I'm looking for any help I can get.
Completely ignoring all but this one small section of your post, I think you may want to do some hardware testing, starting with RAM. The description of your issues as provided does not sound like a software problem...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2011   #5

Windows 7 x64 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cluberti View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
But I am experiencing occasional crashes (restarts with no BSOD even though I've requested no automatic restart), freezes, and (very rarely) hung reboots, so I'm looking for any help I can get.
Completely ignoring all but this one small section of your post, I think you may want to do some hardware testing, starting with RAM. The description of your issues as provided does not sound like a software problem...
I don't actually think it is a software problem, but I'm hoping the software (some software somewhere!) might be logging hints of some problematic hardware. I was suspecting my SSD C: drive (for no good reason), but maybe I should consider RAM.

Pat
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WinDBG vs BSOD exe




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: WinDBG vs BSOD exe
Thread Forum
BSOD, windbg say caused by fltmgr.sys (fltmgr!FltpDispatch+72) BSOD Help and Support
BSOD Commands - WinDbg Tutorials
Frequent BSOD screens - WinDbg referred probable cause to ntoskrnl.exe BSOD Help and Support
Huge amount of BSOD need help please!! Using WinDbg debugging tools. BSOD Help and Support
Solved BSOD. Windbg indicates Csrss.exe. F4 Code. Can't Figure it out. BSOD Help and Support
BSOD WinDbg info BSOD Help and Support
windbg help for BSOD BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33