Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Freezes, crashing and random restarts (very few BSODs)

07 Jun 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Freezes, crashing and random restarts (very few BSODs)

Hi,

I'm getting frequent crashes on my HTPC in Windows 7 usually without a blue screen of death (I have had maybe one or two BSODs). Sometimes the computer will crash almost as soon as I switch it on (i.e. when I'm using internet explorer), sometimes it crashes when watching a bluray in media center and sometimes when doing nothing at all.

The system was stable, however about 5 months ago I installed a new CPU and cooler, and about a month or so later I started getting these problems. I have tried the following:

- Virus scan
- Memory check (memtest86 multiple passes)
- CPU stress test (prime95)
- Hard drive check disk
- Graphics card stress (furmark)

The graphics card did show signs of overheating and the PC crashed shortly afterwards, however I have since tried the onboard graphics card and the problems are still there. The fact that the PC can crash shortly after booting also suggests its not this.

I can only think of three things that it can now be:

- Power supply (no idea how to test this, the power supply is a good quality Corsair, with more than enough power for the components and like I said, the system used to be stable).
- Motherboard (could be this I guess - potentially I damaged it when I installed the new CPU)
- Windows 7 (hence the reason I'm here!)

In trying to fix the PC I have used a registry fixer by a reputable company (I forget which one).

I can find two mini dumps on the PC (both from yesterday when I was doing some testing) with the following strings:

010211-12573-01.dmp 05/06/2011 16:33:25 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x000000d1 00000000`00000070 00000000`00000002 00000000`00000000 fffff880`0418e2c0 usbehci.sys usbehci.sys+72c0 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+70740

051511-56066-01.dmp 05/06/2011 16:20:39 KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x0000001e ffffffff`c000001d fffff880`00000000 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`04474800 aswSP.SYS aswSP.SYS+15501 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+7fd00

I've tried searching for information about these, but there is nothing particular clear or relevant to my situation, so I'm all out of ideas - any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks for your help in advance.



Additional Info:
Attached zip file contains all the recommended BSOD files etc.
System specs are:

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (Upgrade from Vista IIRC)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640
Motherboard: Asus M4A785D-M Pro
Memory: 4GB Cosair
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4550 Passive
Displays: Sony HD
Screen Resolution: 1080p
PSU: Cosair HX 450W
Case: Lian Li PC-C37 (Modded)
Cooling: Corsair H70
Hard Drives: Corsair V32 SSD Samsung 1GB

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jun 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Veggers View Post
Hi,

I'm getting frequent crashes on my HTPC in Windows 7 usually without a blue screen of death (I have had maybe one or two BSODs). Sometimes the computer will crash almost as soon as I switch it on (i.e. when I'm using internet explorer), sometimes it crashes when watching a bluray in media center and sometimes when doing nothing at all.

The system was stable, however about 5 months ago I installed a new CPU and cooler, and about a month or so later I started getting these problems. I have tried the following:

- Virus scan
- Memory check (memtest86 multiple passes)
- CPU stress test (prime95)
- Hard drive check disk
- Graphics card stress (furmark)

The graphics card did show signs of overheating and the PC crashed shortly afterwards, however I have since tried the onboard graphics card and the problems are still there. The fact that the PC can crash shortly after booting also suggests its not this.

I can only think of three things that it can now be:

- Power supply (no idea how to test this, the power supply is a good quality Corsair, with more than enough power for the components and like I said, the system used to be stable).
- Motherboard (could be this I guess - potentially I damaged it when I installed the new CPU)
- Windows 7 (hence the reason I'm here!)

In trying to fix the PC I have used a registry fixer by a reputable company (I forget which one).

I can find two mini dumps on the PC (both from yesterday when I was doing some testing) with the following strings:

010211-12573-01.dmp 05/06/2011 16:33:25 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x000000d1 00000000`00000070 00000000`00000002 00000000`00000000 fffff880`0418e2c0 usbehci.sys usbehci.sys+72c0 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+70740

051511-56066-01.dmp 05/06/2011 16:20:39 KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x0000001e ffffffff`c000001d fffff880`00000000 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`04474800 aswSP.SYS aswSP.SYS+15501 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+7fd00

I've tried searching for information about these, but there is nothing particular clear or relevant to my situation, so I'm all out of ideas - any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks for your help in advance.



Additional Info:
Attached zip file contains all the recommended BSOD files etc.
System specs are:

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (Upgrade from Vista IIRC)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640
Motherboard: Asus M4A785D-M Pro
Memory: 4GB Cosair
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4550 Passive
Displays: Sony HD
Screen Resolution: 1080p
PSU: Cosair HX 450W
Case: Lian Li PC-C37 (Modded)
Cooling: Corsair H70
Hard Drives: Corsair V32 SSD Samsung 1GB
Hi
Ur minidump points to aswSP.SYS,that is avast security system (conflict).
So for first step remove avast and for now download and install MSE http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx
-----------------------
Wait and...
Please post back with any results!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jun 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks for your help, I've uninstalled avast and installed the M$ version - for a brief moment I thought you fixed it - the PC worked for a while so I took the opportunity to run some virus scans (all came up clean), but during one of the scans I had a crash.

No BSOD - just a white screen with lots of artifacts on it - required a reboot to fix. I'm thinking this is a hardware problem but would love to be corrected.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Jun 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Veggers View Post
Thanks for your help, I've uninstalled avast and installed the M$ version - for a brief moment I thought you fixed it - the PC worked for a while so I took the opportunity to run some virus scans (all came up clean), but during one of the scans I had a crash.

No BSOD - just a white screen with lots of artifacts on it - required a reboot to fix. I'm thinking this is a hardware problem but would love to be corrected.
This now is a graphic card issue,just try to completely unistall and update the driver.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
BUT that...<<just a white screen with lots of artifacts on it>>worries me in some cases thats mean the graphic card is damaged,lets hope not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Hi Panais,

Sorry for the delay in reply - I couldn't try this until I got home from work this evening.

I reinstalled the graphics driver, and to my disbelief it seems to have worked! I haven't managed to crash it since, and I've been trying!

Hopefully this is the end of my problems and I'm not speaking too soon! Thanks ever so much for your help - its really appreciated.

I owe you a virtual pint
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Veggers View Post
Hi Panais,

Sorry for the delay in reply - I couldn't try this until I got home from work this evening.

I reinstalled the graphics driver, and to my disbelief it seems to have worked! I haven't managed to crash it since, and I've been trying!

Hopefully this is the end of my problems and I'm not speaking too soon! Thanks ever so much for your help - its really appreciated.

I owe you a virtual pint
You are welcome!
Glad to hear good news
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jun 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Unfortunately I spoke to soon - crashing is back. I don't think it can be the video card, as I have the same problem with both my HD 4550 in the PCI-E slot, and with the HD 4300 on board graphics.

I think it must be hardware - I'm assuming its the motherboard as I can't see it being the power supply, although happy to be corrected...!

I have some other odd things occuring - one thing is when ever I log in using logmein, the computer often crashes, and when I click whilst logged in this way,things happen twice (like a click on a program, and it will load up to of the same program etc).

The whole things seems really odd - I'm tempted to do a reinstall to see if this improves the situation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Freezes, crashing and random restarts (very few BSODs)




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Freezes, crashing and random restarts (very few BSODs)
Thread Forum
Random BSODs, Freezes, and sudden Restarts BSOD Help and Support
Random freezes,restarts and BSODs. BSOD Help and Support
Random BSODs, freezes and restarts BSOD Help and Support
Random BSODs, freezes, and restarts with a pixelated screen. BSOD Help and Support
Suddenly random freezes,restarts and BSODs. BSOD Help and Support
Freezes, BSODs, Restarts BSOD Help and Support
Freezes, BSODs, Restarts... Oh My... BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33