Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD on Standby or Hibernate - on two different systems


18 Jun 2011   #1

Win7 Pro x64
 
 
BSOD on Standby or Hibernate - on two different systems

Hi there,

I'm having trouble with two completely different sets of hardware. Both are exhibiting the exact same symptoms:

Upon entering standby, the devices hang at a black screen. If you wait long enough, they BSOD (but the screen stays black - the only way you can tell that they BSOD'd is the "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown blah blah..." message when you start up the machine again), otherwise they're just unresponsive until you manually power them off (long press of the power button).

And the weirdest thing: The problem only occurs if either Dropbox (see this thread) or Firefox 4 (does NOT occur on Firefox 3.x) is running.

Two different hardware configurations:

1. Thinkpad X200 | Core2Duo P8400 | 3GB RAM | Intel 5100AGN WiFi | Intel X4500 graphics
2. Thinkpad X41T | Pentium M 758 (1.5GHz low-voltage) | 2GB RAM | Intel 2915ABG WiFi | Intel GMA900 graphics

The X200 runs Windows 7 Pro 64 while the X41T runs Windows 7 Pro 32. Both are MSDNAA licenses, installed with USB sticks created by the official MS tool.


All drivers are up to date, all Windows updates installed, the hard drives and RAM are known good (tested quite thoroughly and both work fine in other machines)...

"BlueScreenInfo" is useless, showing only that the kernel (ntoskernel.exe or smth like that) is to blame... so I zipped up everything (from the X200 - if needed I can do the same for the X41T) as per the instructions in the sticky. Hope you guys can make heads or tails of it all... thanks in advance!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Jun 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
Hi there,

I'm having trouble with two completely different sets of hardware. Both are exhibiting the exact same symptoms:

Upon entering standby, the devices hang at a black screen. If you wait long enough, they BSOD (but the screen stays black - the only way you can tell that they BSOD'd is the "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown blah blah..." message when you start up the machine again), otherwise they're just unresponsive until you manually power them off (long press of the power button).

And the weirdest thing: The problem only occurs if either Dropbox (see this thread) or Firefox 4 (does NOT occur on Firefox 3.x) is running.

Two different hardware configurations:

1. Thinkpad X200 | Core2Duo P8400 | 3GB RAM | Intel 5100AGN WiFi | Intel X4500 graphics
2. Thinkpad X41T | Pentium M 758 (1.5GHz low-voltage) | 2GB RAM | Intel 2915ABG WiFi | Intel GMA900 graphics

The X200 runs Windows 7 Pro 64 while the X41T runs Windows 7 Pro 32. Both are MSDNAA licenses, installed with USB sticks created by the official MS tool.


All drivers are up to date, all Windows updates installed, the hard drives and RAM are known good (tested quite thoroughly and both work fine in other machines)...

"BlueScreenInfo" is useless, showing only that the kernel (ntoskernel.exe or smth like that) is to blame... so I zipped up everything (from the X200 - if needed I can do the same for the X41T) as per the instructions in the sticky. Hope you guys can make heads or tails of it all... thanks in advance!

This one was Related to Wireless WiFi Link Driver from Intel Corporation

I would re-install using most recent.


Also old drivers needing updating.
Code:
TVicPort64.SYS	3/30/2005 5:12:54 AM		fffff880`02a7e000	fffff880`02a85000	0x00007000	0x424a6d96						
mdmxsdk.sys	6/19/2006 5:27:26 PM		fffff880`03bb5000	fffff880`03bb9280	0x00004280	0x449716be						
psadd.sys	2/19/2007 2:56:37 PM		fffff880`06b88000	fffff880`06b93000	0x0000b000	0x45d9f2e5						
emusba10.sys	11/26/2007 3:12:56 AM		fffff880`081c0000	fffff880`081f2700	0x00032700	0x474a71f8						
e1y60x64.sys	8/22/2008 6:09:50 PM		fffff880`07f9c000	fffff880`07fec000	0x00050000	0x48af392e						
XAudio64.sys	4/29/2009 2:21:07 PM		fffff880`03ac7000	fffff880`03acf000	0x00008000	0x49f89a93						
HECIx64.sys	6/23/2009 3:50:00 PM		fffff880`07f8b000	fffff880`07f9c000	0x00011000	0x4a4131e8
How To Find Drivers:
Quote:
- search Google for the name of the driver
- compare the Google results with what's installed on your system to figure out which device/program it belongs to
- visit the web site of the manufacturer of the hardware/program to get the latest drivers (DON'T use Windows Update or the Update driver function of Device Manager).
- if there are difficulties in locating them, post back with questions and someone will try and help you locate the appropriate program.
- - The most common drivers are listed on this page: Driver Reference Driver Reference
- - Driver manufacturer links are on this page: Drivers and Downloads
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2011   #3

Win7 Pro x64
 
 

Hi zigzag, thanks for the reply, I'll update the drivers and see if everything works then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jun 2011   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
Hi zigzag, thanks for the reply, I'll update the drivers and see if everything works then.
dont forget the wifi driver
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2011   #5

Win7 Pro x64
 
 

I've now reproduced the issue on every version of the WiFi driver I could find. I haven't reproduced with WiFi off yet, so that also supports the theory of the WiFi being the culprit

Is it possible that having a Gmail tab open in Firefox, in combination with the WiFi could cause this? My girlfriend has nearly the same setup (Thinkpad R61 with similar Intel WiFi, Windows 7 Pro x64, all drivers from Lenovo System Update, also Core 2 Duo from the Centrino platform from right before mine) - the only difference I can discern is the use of Thunderbird instead of Gmail's web interface.

Unfortunately I don't have time to wait an hour for the BSOD every time the crash happens (takes ages between the machine not responding and then the actual BSOD), so I don't have any more minidumps. Should I just assume it's always the same driver acting up? How likely is it that my drivers are taking turns at annoying me?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2011   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
I've now reproduced the issue on every version of the WiFi driver I could find. I haven't reproduced with WiFi off yet, so that also supports the theory of the WiFi being the culprit

Is it possible that having a Gmail tab open in Firefox, in combination with the WiFi could cause this? My girlfriend has nearly the same setup (Thinkpad R61 with similar Intel WiFi, Windows 7 Pro x64, all drivers from Lenovo System Update, also Core 2 Duo from the Centrino platform from right before mine) - the only difference I can discern is the use of Thunderbird instead of Gmail's web interface.

Unfortunately I don't have time to wait an hour for the BSOD every time the crash happens (takes ages between the machine not responding and then the actual BSOD), so I don't have any more minidumps. Should I just assume it's always the same driver acting up? How likely is it that my drivers are taking turns at annoying me?
No idea thats why we need more info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #7

Win7 Pro x64
 
 

As in more minidumps?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2011   #8

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
As in more minidumps?
Yep each one makes the pattern more obvious.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2011   #9

Win7 Pro x64
 
 

Well, good/bad news: Have another set of info for you (attached)... Laptop bluescreened over night, presumably during the nightly auto-backup.

Thanks for all your help so far!

-edit- This was with the newest Intel WiFi driver version... so if it's still the same driver acting up, it's likely to be version-independent.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2011   #10

Win7 Pro x64
 
 

Anything useful in the last set of dumps?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD on Standby or Hibernate - on two different systems




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: BSOD on Standby or Hibernate - on two different systems
Thread Forum
After Windows Updates,PC Going into standby/hibernate ?? General Discussion
Standby and Hibernate not working Performance & Maintenance
Problem with Hibernate and Standby BSOD Help and Support
Computer won't wake from standby/hibernate BSOD Help and Support
Skype Crashes on Resume from Hibernate/Standby Software
BSOD on Hibernate/standby from ntoskrnl.exe BSOD Help and Support
Standby/hibernate problem Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33