Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HP desktop wont power on!! Help!


02 Jul 2011   #1

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 
HP desktop wont power on!! Help!

Idk if this belongs here but seems like the best place. But anyways~ I bought a HP Pavilion Slimline s5220y no more then 2years ago. I had no real problem until today. I noticed the power light was on and thought my screen was just asleep but my keyboard didnt have power going to it.
I forced restarted it. when I power it back on the power light comes on but doesnt power up.
I took off the case and tried to power it up again. My fans move a tad bit when i turn it on but stop after. I swapped power cords and still the same thing.

I tired to to unplug the power cord and hold the power button for 10secs. but nothing.

any idea what it could be? or what needs to be replaced?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jul 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64/Windows 8 Consumer Preview x64/Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Can you boot into BIOS? If not, your PSU might be dead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2011   #3

W7 Professional x64
 
 

Classic dead PSU or motherboard symptoms. I would start with the power supply, as that is what I suspect right off the bat.

Newegg.com - SeaSonic SS-300TFX Bronze 300W TFX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

This one has gotten good reviews, and is the size you need.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Jul 2011   #4

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JaidynM View Post
Can you boot into BIOS? If not, your PSU might be dead.
Normally i cant. But when I do that power drain thing and boot it up it will boot up for a while but then shut off. So I unplug it and hold the power button down again and i can boot it up again but shuts off after awhile.


Quote:
Classic dead PSU or motherboard symptoms. I would start with the power supply, as that is what I suspect right off the bat.

Newegg.com - SeaSonic SS-300TFX Bronze 300W TFX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

This one has gotten good reviews, and is the size you need.
Oh ok thank you! I hope its just my power supply. If it isnt then how much would it cost to replace the motherboard?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2011   #5

W7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Takaaaa View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JaidynM View Post
Can you boot into BIOS? If not, your PSU might be dead.
Normally i cant. But when I do that power drain thing and boot it up it will boot up for a while but then shut off. So I unplug it and hold the power button down again and i can boot it up again but shuts off after awhile.

This is what makes me suspect your power supply.

A motherboard can range anywhere from 10-40 used (but you are taking a chance) and 50-300 new in my experiences. Form factor and features play a big part in price.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2011   #6

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Ok I guess for now ill just order the PSU that you suggested. Just to make sure, it will fit right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2011   #7

W7 Professional x64
 
 

It will fit. -research completed- Your motherboard (direct replacement) would cost 175 dollars. Just as an off question, do you have a spare PSU you could get ahold of (the size doesn't matter, it's not going to be actually installed)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2011   #8

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Quote:
-research completed- Your motherboard (direct replacement) would cost 175 dollars. Just as an off question, do you have a spare PSU you could get ahold of (the size doesn't matter, it's not going to be actually installed)
I could take the PSU out of my mothers Dell. The power cord seemed to be the same.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2011   #9

W7 Professional x64
 
 

That would work, and just test and see if it boots (just plug in the hard drive, put it in close proximity to your computer, and hook up the motherboard and hard drive)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2011   #10

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Ok so I take my dell PSU and hook it up to my HP hard drive and motherboard?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HP desktop wont power on!! Help!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: HP desktop wont power on!! Help!
Thread Forum
Wont install OS after power outage. Hardware & Devices
Computer wont power on after power loss Hardware & Devices
Desktop wont got to sleep per Power Options. Performance & Maintenance
PC powered off and wont power on? Hardware & Devices
Solved Usb power wont resume Performance & Maintenance
Rig wont power up Hardware & Devices
Remote desktop wont connect to desktop. Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33