Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD crashes associated with Sleep mode


27 Jul 2011   #1
luigiputanesca

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
BSOD crashes associated with Sleep mode

I repeatedly have random crashes when the computer sleeps. The computer is an Asus N53JQ laptop and was new in Jan 2011. OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and is an OEM version. I purchased it through Costco.

I re-installed Windows about 2 months ago to see if it would help with this problem and eventually I got back to the same errors. Since the errors are very sporadic it is hard to connect them with any specific application however I got a feeling that when I installed ITunes and later Adobe Photoshop CS4, the problems got worse. This is just a feeling I have and don't have any hard evidence to connect them. If I uninstall these apps, it doesn't help the problem.

Please note regarding the drivers, just today I installed the latest NVidia graphics drivers to see if it would help. However they introduced some other problems and I may have to revert back to my original drivers. Specifically, the NVidia control panel always hangs and had trouble finding and configuring my external monitor, a Samsung SyncMaster 205BW LCD monitor connected to the analog VGA port.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2011   #2
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by luigiputanesca View Post
I repeatedly have random crashes when the computer sleeps. The computer is an Asus N53JQ laptop and was new in Jan 2011. OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and is an OEM version. I purchased it through Costco.

I re-installed Windows about 2 months ago to see if it would help with this problem and eventually I got back to the same errors. Since the errors are very sporadic it is hard to connect them with any specific application however I got a feeling that when I installed ITunes and later Adobe Photoshop CS4, the problems got worse. This is just a feeling I have and don't have any hard evidence to connect them. If I uninstall these apps, it doesn't help the problem.

Please note regarding the drivers, just today I installed the latest NVidia graphics drivers to see if it would help. However they introduced some other problems and I may have to revert back to my original drivers. Specifically, the NVidia control panel always hangs and had trouble finding and configuring my external monitor, a Samsung SyncMaster 205BW LCD monitor connected to the analog VGA port.
Hi luigiputanesca welcome to SF

No,nvidia is not updated.

So please update your nvidia graphic card with the most recent software/driver from here Notebook Drivers

OR

From here ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Notebooks- ASUS N53Jq

Update DirectX.

Update Your camera software/driver.

Update all your adobe software.

-----------------------
Finish with the above steps,wait and post back with ANY results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #3
luigiputanesca

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I have now installed the most recent NVIDIA drivers (8.17.12.6643) from the ASUS site for my laptop. I also updated DirectX and the camera was already current with the latest from ASUS. So far no crashes but sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days so I'll wait and see.

Regarding the Adobe CS4 software, it costs $200 to get the latest upgrade so I want to be sure that it is necessary before spending the money. I know that my BSOD problem did exist before I installed CS4.

If you have any specific indication that Photoshop CS4 is a particular problem please let me know. Otherwise I will see what happens with my latest changes before coughing up the cash for the upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #4
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by luigiputanesca View Post
I have now installed the most recent NVIDIA drivers (8.17.12.6643) from the ASUS site for my laptop. I also updated DirectX and the camera was already current with the latest from ASUS. So far no crashes but sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days so I'll wait and see.

Regarding the Adobe CS4 software, it costs $200 to get the latest upgrade so I want to be sure that it is necessary before spending the money. I know that my BSOD problem did exist before I installed CS4.

If you have any specific indication that Photoshop CS4 is a particular problem please let me know. Otherwise I will see what happens with my latest changes before coughing up the cash for the upgrade.
Is better to update your nvidia from the nvidia website http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_drivers.html and not from asus website.

Yours is Nvidia GeForce GT 425M

Dont buy anything!

If you can live for a few days without Photoshop,please uninstall it for testing purposes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2011   #5
luigiputanesca

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Just had another BSOD this evening when the computer was sleeping (or waking). The relevant reports are attached.

As per your instructions, I did a full uninstall of Photoshop CS4. I downloaded drivers from nvidia.com and did a clean install of version 8.17.12.7533 drivers.

Previously I had done the DirectX and other things you suggested.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2011   #6
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by luigiputanesca View Post
Just had another BSOD this evening when the computer was sleeping (or waking). The relevant reports are attached.

As per your instructions, I did a full uninstall of Photoshop CS4. I downloaded drivers from nvidia.com and did a clean install of version 8.17.12.7533 drivers.

Previously I had done the DirectX and other things you suggested.
Download/update DirectX runtimes.

Run http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...test-occt.html

Post here the results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2011   #7
luigiputanesca

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I installed again the latest DirectX runtimes I found on the Microsoft Site. I ran the OCCT tests and all appeared to complete without error. Attached are the results files.

One thing did happen on the GPU:MEMTEST the first time I ran it. The OCCT program shut down unexpectedly after the test completed and I could not restart the program until I rebooted the PC. After that it all ran normally. Don't know if this is significant.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2011   #8
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by luigiputanesca View Post
I installed again the latest DirectX runtimes I found on the Microsoft Site. I ran the OCCT tests and all appeared to complete without error. Attached are the results files.

One thing did happen on the GPU:MEMTEST the first time I ran it. The OCCT program shut down unexpectedly after the test completed and I could not restart the program until I rebooted the PC. After that it all ran normally. Don't know if this is significant.
Check nvidia temperatures in idle and post them here.

Check nvidia temperatures in hardload (gaming,graphic design etc) and post them here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2011   #9
luigiputanesca

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I checked the GPU temperatures. When the computer is doing absolutely nothing it runs about 37c to 40c. When doing basic stuff like email and browsing it's about 47c to 52c. I don't do gaming but running videos or looking at images, it goes to about 57c to 63c and that was as high as I got it to go.

FYI, I have not had any crashes in the last few days. Don't know if anything we did helped or I've just been lucky.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2011   #10
panais

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by luigiputanesca View Post
I checked the GPU temperatures. When the computer is doing absolutely nothing it runs about 37c to 40c. When doing basic stuff like email and browsing it's about 47c to 52c. I don't do gaming but running videos or looking at images, it goes to about 57c to 63c and that was as high as I got it to go.

FYI, I have not had any crashes in the last few days. Don't know if anything we did helped or I've just been lucky.
This BSOD (0x116) is often caused by defects in the RAM or graphics card.

So we must wait,work,play as usual and post back here your progress.

In meantime,

Keep clean the card fan and the pc,keep checking all the temperatures and every few days run the http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...test-occt.html

Also run RAM - Test with Memtest86+

(Dont run the furmark too much times) just when you feel that something is not right.

The memtest,you can run it from now and leave it overnight.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD crashes associated with Sleep mode




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: BSOD crashes associated with Sleep mode
Thread Forum
Laptop crashes whenever it goes into sleep mode BSOD Help and Support
BSOD - crashes seen, usually after returning from sleep mode. BSOD Help and Support
Laptop crashes during sleep mode Performance & Maintenance
Crashes in Sleep mode BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 Crashes upon Sleep mode BSOD Help and Support
Sleep mode crashes PC BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 Crashes in sleep mode BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App