Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem with modem drivers


09 Aug 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Ultimate x86
 
 
Problem with modem drivers

I'm running

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 on my Acer Aspire one 532h with 2GB of ram


I have a smart link USB 56k modem, it came with drivers for XP and Vista, I tried to install those only to BSOD when I try to dial

I then proceeded to windows update and got a newer driver and installed that

same problem, every time I dial out, it would BSOD to IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or have a 0x0000000 error

Can anyone help me out here? I mean windows update driver should've fixed this.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Aug 2011   #2

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

It comes with a manual and you are following what it says, yes?

Make sure you have uninstalled all previous drivers for it, and check with the manufacturer's website for the most recent driver for Windows 7 x86 and see about installing that. Or look on the web for the driver if you can't find it (look under a trusted, legal website; please be careful that you do not download a virus from an untrusted source).

Drivers - Clean Left over Files after Uninstalling

Let us know if you need help on anything further
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2011   #3

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit / XP Home sp3
 
 

Did you try and install the Vista driver in compatibility mode?
Compatibility Mode
Fabe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Aug 2011   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by magliter View Post
I'm running

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 on my Acer Aspire one 532h with 2GB of ram


I have a smart link USB 56k modem, it came with drivers for XP and Vista, I tried to install those only to BSOD when I try to dial

I then proceeded to windows update and got a newer driver and installed that

same problem, every time I dial out, it would BSOD to IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or have a 0x0000000 error

Can anyone help me out here? I mean windows update driver should've fixed this.
You should probably upload your dump files and let the BSOD team analyze them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

They can tell you a lot from reading your dump files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Ultimate x86
 
 

I'll go ahead and try to reproduce the problem

Quote:
"Did you try and install the Vista driver in compatibility mode?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...lity-mode.html
Fabe"
Did it with Vista and XP drivers in XP SP2, SP3 and Vista compatibility modes, in all combinations possible

Quote:
"It comes with a manual and you are following what it says, yes?

Make sure you have uninstalled all previous drivers for it, and check with the manufacturer's website for the most recent driver for Windows 7 x86 and see about installing that. Or look on the web for the driver if you can't find it (look under a trusted, legal website; please be careful that you do not download a virus from an untrusted source).

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ng.html?filter

Let us know if you need help on anything further"
Did it, manufacturer is long gone but I've downloaded almost all the drivers relating to a smartlink usb 56k modem, and I've promptly uninstalled them before trying out another, just it would install but cause a BSOD, I'm currently at work, I'll post the error ASAP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2011   #6
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL also will appear as DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL too.
Many time this is related to memory faults and errors. Since the modem is apparently old(?) maybe a PCI slot modem would be better, but let's see if we can fix yours first.

Download memtest86+ It will need to be burned to a CD or a bootable flash drive. (The DL link is well down the page.) Let it run for at least six passes to test your memory, unless errors pop-up right away.

Since it is USB connected try uninstalling/reinstalling Drivers for the USB devices in Control Panel.

In Control Panel open Devices and Printers with the modem connected. Right click the modem icon, then trouble shoot.

A malware might be working too. Run MalwareBytes and Super Antispyware after doing updates. Do the full scans with each. Link for them in my sig.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2011   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL also will appear as DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL too.
Many time this is related to memory faults and errors. Since the modem is apparently old(?) maybe a PCI slot modem would be better, but let's see if we can fix yours first.

Since it is USB connected try uninstalling/reinstalling Drivers for the USB devices in Control Panel.

In Control Panel open Devices and Printers with the modem connected. Right click the modem icon, then trouble shoot.

A malware might be working too. Run MalwareBytes and Super Antispyware after doing updates. Do the full scans with each. Link for them in my sig.

Uploading the dump files wouldn't hurt either since there's a BSOD problem too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2011   #8
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Oh yes, by all means upload your dmp files as Derek suggested in his link.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Ultimate x86
 
 
sad

Attached is that BSOD program folder that the guide told me

I tried to reinstall the drivers

weird, when I do it from the website via compatibility mode, there's two devices. There's smartusb modem and a full duplex voice modem.

So I'm using the one from windows update
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2011   #10

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by magliter View Post
Attached is that BSOD program folder that the guide told me

I tried to reinstall the drivers

weird, when I do it from the website via compatibility mode, there's two devices. There's smartusb modem and a full duplex voice modem.

So I'm using the one from windows update
you might try and post this in the "BSOD" section of this forum, as some expert BSOD techies sometimes stay on that side of the forum. Or ask a moderator by "reporting" your post and requesting them to move this thread to the BSOD section.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem with modem drivers




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Problem with modem drivers
Thread Forum
64-bit USB cable modem drivers? Drivers
Drivers for Modem not Installing Properly Drivers
Q: ADSL Modem Routers and drivers? Hardware & Devices
ADSL PCI Modem Drivers Drivers
PCT789T Modem (PCI) drivers for Windows 7 64-bit Drivers
Drivers for ZXDSL 852 modem Drivers
Novatel Expedite EV-DO Modem Drivers Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33