Hey guys! So I've been at it troubleshooting this problem for about 3months now. It all started with my 680i mobo frying (literally, smoke came off the SB), and I got an RMA. I swapped it out with a 790i FTW they sent me, and was able to OC pretty significantly on it, which i was happy with. I even OC'd my GPU 8800gtx by 15% and everything was stable.
Ran Prime95 for hours with no errors, and also ran MemTest for >8hrs for 192% coverage with no errors.
Everything runs great, except that consistently while I'm playing Starcraft 2 (I'm an aspiring esports competitor), it crashes in the middle of games. Screen freezes/blacks out, sounds goes into infinite stutter - until I hard reboot.
I then started down the Rabbit's hole to fix it:
-Temps: CPU IDLE/LOAD (C) [67/72, 65/72, 57/59, 57/59], GPU [60C @ Sustained Load], SPP/MCP [60C @ Sustained Load] - Great temps considering OC, I have great case airflow & heatsinks, no problems there.
- Remove all OC - Reset Stock Clock/Volt Settings on all components
- Decreased Graphics settings to low everything in Starcraft2
- PCIe to 100mhz
- Decreased/Increased NB & SB Voltage
- Added (2) fans pointing directly at the NB & SB heatsinks - these have dropped in temp by 5C with fans.
- Changed timings & voltage on RAM to manually match factory specs
- Changed BIOS settings entirely to a full list of settings posted on a forum that some people were having success with.
- Swapped out the 2x4GB 1866 G.Skill Ripjaw for 2x2GB 1066 Crucial Ballistix
- Reseated all cables
- Unplugged mini-card reader (this was suggested in another thread, and actually seemed to help some people oddly - not me tho).
- Flashed BIOS to most recent version SZ17
- updated to most recent graphics, audio, and chipset drivers
Nothing worked! It kept crashing!
My instincts really do tell me its a graphics issue, considering the screen turns off for most freezes. The only other correlation that I could note was that it started crashing right after I installed SP1.
I then continued to try:
- Tried doing a system restore before SP1, but apparently the system restore file got corrupted so I couldn't do that. Instead I 'uninstalled' SP1 & all windows updates from that day via control panel -> programs and features -> view installed updates (top left corner of window) -> r-click desired update to uninstall it.
- turning off background CPU/GPU Samplers and all other bg progs (some people were saying that evga precision or coretemp had some stability issues with Windows 7 SP1).
- Disabled hardware flash acceleration
- repair install of SC2
- disk check
- update all drivers multiple times (both installing directly over current, and also using Driver
Cleaner AND Driver Sweeper) - Video, Audio, Chipset
- reverted to older editions of drivers.
- all in-game settings to low.
- uninstall and reinstall AVG
Nothing worked, so I went out and bought a new GPU - 560 ti.
IT CRASHED AGAIN!! I reinstalled video & audio drivers. Still crashed!!
Final step: Reinstall Chipset drivers directly over current.
SUCCESS!! No more crashes. Thank God!
That ran for like 6weeks without crashes, and I avoided reinstalling SP1 too, just in case there were some driver incompatibilities for whatever reason.
Just recently installed SP1 again. No crashes for days, even during long 4-6 hour gaming sessions.
Then, last night, it crashed twice again!! There never were logs in the Event Viewer (I checked after every reboot), but this time there was a feint distorted image of a BSOD (still no eventviewer log tho), thus I decided to come here to hopefully get some more eyes on it.
Current System Specs:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 OEM (but I installed it) - age = 3yo
Mobo: EVGA 790i FTW (RMA for an old 680i, this board is less than 3mo old)
RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2x4GB 1866 (running 1600) + 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1x2GB 1333 (running 1600) (<3mo old)
CPU: Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (>3years old) w/ TRUE
GPU: nVidia 560 ti stock (<1mo old)
HDD: Intel 510 120GB SSD boot and starcraft install(<1mo old)
Thanks in advance, sorry this was so long but I figure the more info the better in troubleshooting this thing. I just want it run smoothly!