Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 64-bit frequent BSOD dxgkrnl.sys


27 Aug 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
 
 
Windows 7 64-bit frequent BSOD dxgkrnl.sys

Hi to all, a few months ago i purchased my PC with all new components including monitor, so since the early days of use i had random BSOD with artifacts on screen and restoration kernel video driver. Often the system crashed and i have to shutdown the computer using the power button.

My components are:

Windows 7 home premium 64-bit full retail (not SP1 installed)
Asus Sabertooth P67
i5 2500k
Corsair pro 650 watt
MSI gtx 560 ti oc
Asus Xonar DX
Corsair SSD F120
Western digital green 2TB
Monitor Dell u23111h

i tested the ram with Memtest86+ 6 cycles and no error, i sent the video card to support but it working prefectly, i change the slot PCI but the situation not change. I read other thread and i tested file system with CHKDKS but intact. I not have virus or malware in the system. All component are update to last driver except the video card because i try with last driver 280 and the crash is continuos and the situation worsens dramatically. The bios of motherboard is not update. I used Norton Antivirus 2011 and sometimes also creates BSOD reboot and disabling protection. I very appreciate if someone help me to solve this problem that has tormented me for months and seems to have not solution Thanks!
I add the report of BSOD with Blue screen view:
Attachment 172329


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Aug 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smoking84 View Post
Hi to all, a few months ago i purchased my PC with all new components including monitor, so since the early days of use i had random BSOD with artifacts on screen and restoration kernel video driver. Often the system crashed and i have to shutdown the computer using the power button.

My components are:

Windows 7 home premium 64-bit full retail (not SP1 installed)
Asus Sabertooth P67
i5 2500k
Corsair pro 650 watt
MSI gtx 560 ti oc
Asus Xonar DX
Corsair SSD F120
Western digital green 2TB
Monitor Dell u23111h

i tested the ram with Memtest86+ 6 cycles and no error, i sent the video card to support but it working prefectly, i change the slot PCI but the situation not change. I read other thread and i tested file system with CHKDKS but intact. I not have virus or malware in the system. All component are update to last driver except the video card because i try with last driver 280 and the crash is continuos and the situation worsens dramatically. The bios of motherboard is not update. I used Norton Antivirus 2011 and sometimes also creates BSOD reboot and disabling protection. I very appreciate if someone help me to solve this problem that has tormented me for months and seems to have not solution Thanks!
I add the report of BSOD with Blue screen view:
Attachment 172329
To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.


To ensure minidumps are enabled:

Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
OK your way out.
Reboot if changes have been made.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
 
 

Hi, i changed in sysdm.cpl the "memory dump kernel" to "small memory dump (256kb) I read the method and add the folder "windows NT6 BSOD" Thanks

Attachment 172333
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Aug 2011   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smoking84 View Post
Hi, i changed in sysdm.cpl the "memory dump kernel" to "small memory dump (256kb) I read the method and add the folder "windows NT6 BSOD" Thanks

Attachment 172333

Unfortunately there are no DMP in the folder. Did you try the other method?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smoking84 View Post
Hi, i changed in sysdm.cpl the "memory dump kernel" to "small memory dump (256kb) I read the method and add the folder "windows NT6 BSOD" Thanks

Attachment 172333

Unfortunately there are no DMP in the folder. Did you try the other method?
Ok, i wait for next Bsod and try with other method
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2011   #6

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

smoking,
You want to set up for catching the dump BEFORE the dump occurs.

This is basically a repeat of the same info that zigzag gave you:

MEMORY DUMPS - REQUIREMENTS


Enable automatic management of the Paging file
WIN + PAUSE/BREAK key combo |
Advanced system settings (left-hand side) |
Advanced tab, Performance section, Settings |
Advanced tab, Virtual Memory section, Change |
checkmark Automatically manage paging file size for all drives |
OK | OK | OK



STARTUP AND RECOVERY SETTINGS
WIN + PAUSE/BREAK key combo |
Advanced system settings (left-hand side) |
Advanced
tab, Startup and Recovery section, Settings |
in the System Failure section, checkmark Write an Event to the system log and uncheck Automatically restart|
Under Write debugging information, select Small memory dump |
in the Small dump directory: box, enter %SystemRoot%\Minidump | OK


If you get a crazy message from Win 7 about your paging file being too small, then just ignore the message since we have already made sure that the paging file is set to be managed by Win 7.

ENABLE THE WINDOWS ERROR REPORTING SERVICE
WIN key | type SERVICES.MSC | ENTER |
Scroll down to Windows Error Reporting Service |
Rt-clk on Windows Error Reporting Service | Properties |
General
tab | for Startup type, choose Automatic |
In Service status, Start button (unless grayed out) | OK


My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
 
 

Ok the first two services were already set up correctly, only the last "Windows error reporting" was arrested and i set "automatic" and the "start". Now i attends the Bsod for post the results Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
 
 

Hi, a few minutes ago i have a new Bsod with artefact in monitor and reboot of system. Thsi time the file is not dxgkrnl.sys (maybe i solved installing the Intel management driver with driver for PCI simple communications that missing) but EX64.sys and still ntoskrnl.exe. I add the file required. Thanks again

Attachment 172566
Attachment 172568
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2011   #9

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Smoking,

First thing we need is an updated netgear driver.

Here's a clip from another post in a microsoft forum:

The scmndisp.sys is dated Jan 17, 2007 so this driver may not be compatible with Windows 7.
The scmndisp.sys is a driver that is associated with a Netgear wireless adapter.
What wireless adapter do you have and can you obtain an updated driver?


The date on yours is also 17 Jan 2007.

After updating that driver, let's see how things look. If you get another bsod, upload a new zip file.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2011   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smoking84 View Post
Hi, a few minutes ago i have a new Bsod with artefact in monitor and reboot of system. Thsi time the file is not dxgkrnl.sys (maybe i solved installing the Intel management driver with driver for PCI simple communications that missing) but EX64.sys and still ntoskrnl.exe. I add the file required. Thanks again

Attachment 172566
Attachment 172568

Newest Related to NAVEX15.SYS Antivirus Engine from Symantec Corporation. I would remove it and replace with Microsoft security essentials.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product | Norton Support

Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 64-bit frequent BSOD dxgkrnl.sys




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 64-bit frequent BSOD dxgkrnl.sys
Thread Forum
Solved BSOD - Windows 7 x64 nvlddmkm.sys + dxgkrnl.sys + dxgmms1.sys BSOD Help and Support
BSOD dxgkrnl.sys BSOD Help and Support
Frequent BSOD playing SimCity / Frequent applications crashing BSOD Help and Support
BSOD, dxgkrnl.sys BSOD Help and Support
BSOD by hal.dll and dxgkrnl.sys BSOD Help and Support
BSOD dxgkrnl.sys BSOD Help and Support
dxgkrnl.sys BSOD BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33