Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System Freezing, Instability. New Build W7 x64

29 Aug 2011   #21
v2kai

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

spoke too soon. still occasionally locking up.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
31 Aug 2011   #22
v2kai

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Thought I had it locked down, disabling the HD AMD Audio driver that installs with Catalyst but such is not the case. Good news though is with the fresh install I did the driver verifier no longer BSOD on me right at login.

But still getting the freezing and locking up.

Help please?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2011   #23
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

have you checked with intel for firmware updates for your ssd?

I think that would explain everything we've seen here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Aug 2011   #24
v2kai

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
have you checked with intel for firmware updates for your ssd?

I think that would explain everything we've seen here.
Unless I've missed something, I looked into that and the only firmware updates available are for the 320 series SSD and older. I've got the newer 510 series and no firmware updates are listed on Intel's download page.

Any other suggestions as to what you think it might be?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2011   #25
eraseme

W7x64
 
 

Mmm. There are a lot of BSOD and SSD related freezes reported recently. Vertex 2 and 3 series, Crucial M4 and now this Intel 510. And I'm not talking about the 8MB bug of the 320 series. I experienced major troubles with a Vertex 2 120GB. All OCZ suggests is update firmware or send back for RMA. But there is really something wrong in SSD land.
I'm about to buy a 'reliable' Intel SSD, so thats why I follow this post.

I wonder what it could be. Nobody knows yet. As far as I can guess a combination of controller and/or Windows and/or BIOS and/or firmware.
Well that doesnt bring you any further but I just wanted to let you know.
See for example ocztechnologyforum.com or just Google +ssd +freeze.

It's just a matter of time before articles about this appear in the media.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2011   #26
v2kai

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eraseme View Post
Mmm. There are a lot of BSOD and SSD related freezes reported recently. Vertex 2 and 3 series, Crucial M4 and now this Intel 510. And I'm not talking about the 8MB bug of the 320 series. I experienced major troubles with a Vertex 2 120GB. All OCZ suggests is update firmware or send back for RMA. But there is really something wrong in SSD land.
I'm about to buy a 'reliable' Intel SSD, so thats why I follow this post.

I wonder what it could be. Nobody knows yet. As far as I can guess a combination of controller and/or Windows and/or BIOS and/or firmware.
Well that doesnt bring you any further but I just wanted to let you know.
See for example ocztechnologyforum.com or just Google +ssd +freeze.

It's just a matter of time before articles about this appear in the media.
I ran an OCZ Vertex 2 120GB in this machine prior this Intel 510 series 120GB. It was one of the known defective OCZ Vertex 2 units. That was RMA'ed quickly and is now running smoothly in my older XP machine, and the troubles I was having before was definitely entirely hardware related with the SSD and windows 7. With the Vertex 2, the machine performed well for roughly 4 months with the well known hibernation/sleep problems initially taken care of but then the disk entirely crashed in the span of about 48 hours a few months later and was toast.

This time with the new Intel 510 series (i thought would be more reliable) problems are more frequent and worse right off the bat. I assumed like you, the newer Intel would be more 'reliable' seeing as it was the newest gen, and also running with my Intel cpu and Intel sata ports on my mobo.... it appears not to be the case. I'm still stumped on what the exact cause is, and what I can even do to attempt a fix. I've been scouring the net and trying everything under the sun and as a last resort have joined this forum for outside support because I'm really getting nowhere fast. The amount of time I've spent trying to fix this issue really is unreal. All brand new hardware for what I thought would be a good investment and quick hassle free setup in a new main computer system. Boy was I wrong.

Very frustrating. My advice: keeping that Intel SSD idea on the shelf for now seems like a good idea. I appreciate your post. Its good to hear about other people's similar problems; gives me a little hope that I'm not the only one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2011   #27
eraseme

W7x64
 
 

W're in the exact same situation. only I am one step behind...
I can RMA my Vertex-2 but I've read many examples of multi RMA's on the OCZ forum.
Maybe I should buy two mechanical SATA3 HDisks in fast RAID for my OS and just forget about SSD. Stability and reliability are more important things than anything else.

But the Vertex was running good and so fast for a few months. OS started up so quickly and it was great working with apps like Photoshop. Untill the BSOD's popped up and finally the SSD died.
Don't you think it must have something to do with your MBoard or SATA controller on it? You tried two SSd's on it and both give troubles.
And the Vertex runs fine on your older system. Could you please give the specs of both your systems?

I own a ASUS p8h67 m evo with 2x4 Kingston 1333 DDR-3 mem.
Processor= 2600K Intel with use of embedded GPU. For my data I use a WD Caviar 1TB HD. The system is not in anyway overclocked.

I recognize the frustration. It's not just reinstall Windows.Just think of all the updates and finetuning of your OS and apps.. And think about data loss for some users who did not make any backups. I have had a lot of system crashes in the past and I have always been able to restore quickly from an imagefile. This time thats not gonna work anymore. Even if it was possible it would be just waiting for the next freeze.
I'm writing this on my old computer and I'm not sure yet what my next step will be...

Btw: have a search on this forum with keywords SSD and freeze.
Then do the same on Google. Hell you are not alone!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2011   #28
v2kai

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eraseme View Post
W're in the exact same situation. only I am one step behind...
I can RMA my Vertex-2 but I've read many examples of multi RMA's on the OCZ forum.
Maybe I should buy two mechanical SATA3 HDisks in fast RAID for my OS and just forget about SSD. Stability and reliability are more important things than anything else.

But the Vertex was running good and so fast for a few months. OS started up so quickly and it was great working with apps like Photoshop. Untill the BSOD's popped up and finally the SSD died.
Don't you think it must have something to do with your MBoard or SATA controller on it? You tried two SSd's on it and both give troubles.
And the Vertex runs fine on your older system. Could you please give the specs of both your systems?

I own a ASUS p8h67 m evo with 2x4 Kingston 1333 DDR-3 mem.
Processor= 2600K Intel with use of embedded GPU. For my data I use a WD Caviar 1TB HD. The system is not in anyway overclocked.

I recognize the frustration. It's not just reinstall Windows.Just think of all the updates and finetuning of your OS and apps.. And think about data loss for some users who did not make any backups. I have had a lot of system crashes in the past and I have always been able to restore quickly from an imagefile. This time thats not gonna work anymore. Even if it was possible it would be just waiting for the next freeze.
I'm writing this on my old computer and I'm not sure yet what my next step will be...

Btw: have a search on this forum with keywords SSD and freeze.
Then do the same on Google. Hell you are not alone!
What was the model number of your first vertex 2? did it have an E in the part number; the extended version? I also did a fair bit of reading about the OCZ debacle and multiple RMA's during my first OCZ Vertex 2 SSD failure. I hope it fairs better in my XP system. I've been taking every precautionary measure possible to treat these drives properly and configure OS settings to suit them but still its been a rollercoaster ride to this point.Thought I would be in the clear with an Intel... sigh
You might be better off with the fast RAID setup for stability and reliability it seems.

My W7x64 build spec is listed on the 'system spec link' at the bottom left of each of my posts and I'll throw up my XP system as well once I'm home from work and have a minute.

I'm with you, I'm thinking it has to be mobo/controller related because I've tried, and retried everything a few times. Clean OS installs, all drivers, firmware, bios updates, removing HDD's and isolating specific hardware components, HDD and system scans, RAM tests, stress tests etc and I'm still up sh!t creek. I'm at the point where I'm not even reinstalling my programs and settings fully because I know if an actual solution comes up and requires a wipe and reinstall I'll be starting from scratch soon anyways. I have system backups but they seem redundant at this point and only my data backups are of any value to me on this new system build.

I'm not sure if I should be chasing Intel down for support, MS or Asus? or all of the above...aargh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2011   #29
eraseme

W7x64
 
 

[QUOTE=v2kai;1560885]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by eraseme View Post
My W7x64 build spec is listed on the 'system spec link' at the bottom left of each of my posts
OMG didnt see that

Got it right here on the table: pn oczssd2-2vtxe120g

Could it be the 67 chipset????? Just thinking. Somebody mentioned it on the OCZ forum
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2011   #30
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Just a little tid bit. Microsoft has offered 2 updates for your mouse and keyboard, which I use both. I downloaded both with no problem. Received both with Windows updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 System Freezing, Instability. New Build W7 x64




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
System instability from putting 2 ram sticks in.
I have an asus formula 4 and 16GB 1866 corsair vengeance. Runs fine with one stick in it at almost any speed setting, put 2 in no matter the slot and win7 randomly crashes or has performance issues. The memory checks out so I am a bit lost as to what could be the issue could be.
Hardware & Devices
Overclock causing system instability?
Hey all, I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. You see i've had this custom built PC for about 8 months now. From the day I assembled it, I've had my 3570k running a 1GHz overclock to 4.8Ghz. Now although I haven't done any day long torture tests on the OC, I have tested it...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
System instability, with BSOD
Hi, I've had my system for just over a year, with no crash issues until this week. I am trying to narrow down what has changed to cause this. The problems: *********skip to the next break if you want the short version -starting Thursday, my machine would hard-freeze at random intervals...
BSOD Help and Support
Random Crashes and System Instability
Hey all, I have had much trouble in the past with my computer (http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/133050-crash-everytime-i-go-sleep-mode.html) I thought it was all solved until I got more BSOD's. Yesterday I got one the second I plugged in my webcam (So obviously the webcam did...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD & System instability
Hi everyone, I bought a new computer and, since the first day, experiencing BSOD and application crashes. Here is the config : MoBo Asus P7P55 LX Proc Intel Core i5 750 RAM 2x2Go Corsair XMS3 1600 9-9-9-24
BSOD Help and Support
Quicktime Instability / crashing/ hangs on new build
Hi Guys, I've been running in circles trying to figure out what is causing this problem and can't seem to find a cause. I've recently built a new workstation with the following spec: Asus Z8NA-D6 Dual intel X5660's 24GB Kingston RAM Nvidia Quadro FX3800
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:19.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App