Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: random BSOD. memory check says hardware problem detected.

29 Aug 2011   #1

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 
random BSOD. memory check says hardware problem detected.

hello, i've got a 4 month old ASUS desktop that has random BSOD. i'm not very computer literate and could really use some help. called ASUS and all they recommended was to send the computer in for repair. was about to do it until they said all my stuff would be wiped out. would like to try this first. the computer has been doing this since day one. it'll crash during use and other times while idle. can't figure out what causing this or why.

win 7 home premium 64 came preloaded on the machine. i added a Nvidia GEForce 430 card and a 2nd hard drive. also added an external usb hard drive. i don't think any of these adds are involved since the BSOD was appearing before i added anything.

i followed the instructions to include the zip file you need. have never done anything like this so i hope it works. my head is spinning lol!

thank you
Lev


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Aug 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by levitt View Post
hello, i've got a 4 month old ASUS desktop that has random BSOD. i'm not very computer literate and could really use some help. called ASUS and all they recommended was to send the computer in for repair. was about to do it until they said all my stuff would be wiped out. would like to try this first. the computer has been doing this since day one. it'll crash during use and other times while idle. can't figure out what causing this or why.

win 7 home premium 64 came preloaded on the machine. i added a Nvidia GEForce 430 card and a 2nd hard drive. also added an external usb hard drive. i don't think any of these adds are involved since the BSOD was appearing before i added anything.

i followed the instructions to include the zip file you need. have never done anything like this so i hope it works. my head is spinning lol!

thank you
Lev


It is usually very difficult to diagnose from a single DMP file and yours is no exception. While there is no direct evidence I strongly suspect your Symantec. I woud remove and replace with Microsoft Security essentials at least to test.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product | Norton Support

Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2011   #3

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

thanks for the input. i did install norton 360 soon after purchase, but was getting the BSOD prior. if you still think it's Norton, i can try it. forgot to include the performance report so here it is. does this shed any more light on it.

btw...was i supposed to include more files in the original post?. thought one included everything needed...or am i not understanding again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Aug 2011   #4

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

also...i'm a little hesitant to remove norton 360 because it was expensive. if it turns out not to be the problem, would hate to have to pay again. however, if that's what i need to do to sort this out....i will

thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2011   #5

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

First, I'd take anything ZigZag said as the gospel.

2nd, folllow his advice and then uninstall all of the additional hardware you installed.

Problem gone?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Aug 2011   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by levitt View Post
also...i'm a little hesitant to remove norton 360 because it was expensive. if it turns out not to be the problem, would hate to have to pay again. however, if that's what i need to do to sort this out....i will

thanks
It appears Symantec was installed sometime in mid March. Was that when the BSOD's started?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2011   #7

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

no. the BSOD started the first day i used the PC. did add Norton very soon but BSOD's were already a problem. i remember thinking Norton 360 might solve the issue with it's "pc optimization" stuff. i noticed no increase or decrease in crashes after Norton install. same would apply to the hard drive add and graphics card add.

although it may sound stupid coming from someone who knows near nothing about computers....i can't see norton or my hard adds being the problem here. it just doesn't make sense since the issue's were present before the changes were made. especially the advise to remove the hardware (which was installed much later and after *many* BSOD occurrences).

i know you guys are really good at what you do and mean no disrespect. it seems i don't have enough info for you to nail this down. don't know what else to do at this point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2011   #8

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by levitt View Post
no. the BSOD started the first day i used the PC. did add Norton very soon but BSOD's were already a problem. i remember thinking Norton 360 might solve the issue with it's "pc optimization" stuff. i noticed no increase or decrease in crashes after Norton install. same would apply to the hard drive add and graphics card add.

although it may sound stupid coming from someone who knows near nothing about computers....i can't see norton or my hard adds being the problem here. it just doesn't make sense since the issue's were present before the changes were made. especially the advise to remove the hardware (which was installed much later and after *many* BSOD occurrences).

i know you guys are really good at what you do and mean no disrespect. it seems i don't have enough info for you to nail this down. don't know what else to do at this point.
Understood and I agree with you. No disrespect taken. I prefer helping people who think for themselves as it usually helps in getting them fixed.

So if the BSOD's were from day one it is either hardware, or the Image the mfr put on the system.

To check the image (if you havent already) run a system file check

Run a system file check to verify and repair your system files.
To do this type cmd in search, then right click to run as administrator, then
SFC /SCANNOW

Read here for more information SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Let us know the results from the report at the end.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2011   #9

windows 7 home premium 64bit
 
 

can't tell you how happy i was to see you didn't take my comments wrong. was almost expecting a "well then go figure it out yourself smart ass" reply. thanks for not writing me off as someone who can't be helped. i just did the scan and got the message "found corrupt files and successfully repaired". i guess that's a good thing??. am guessing i should sit back and see what happens now?? (hurry up and wait =) )


thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2011   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by levitt View Post
can't tell you how happy i was to see you didn't take my comments wrong. was almost expecting a "well then go figure it out yourself smart ass" reply. thanks for not writing me off as someone who can't be helped. i just did the scan and got the message "found corrupt files and successfully repaired". i guess that's a good thing??. am guessing i should sit back and see what happens now?? (hurry up and wait =) )


thanks again.

I am pretty mellow (you tend to get that way after 20,000 posts) and I really do prefer someone who is thinking.

Lets wait for the next BSOD. I am checking back daily
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 random BSOD. memory check says hardware problem detected.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: random BSOD. memory check says hardware problem detected.
Thread Forum
BSOD at random times with Bug Check Strings BSOD Help and Support
special pool detected memory corrupt BSOD BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD, I suspect a hardware problem BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD please check! BSOD Help and Support
BSOD/Auto restat pc(random times), is this a memory problem? BSOD Help and Support
BSOD Special Pool Detected Memory Corruption BSOD Help and Support
random BSOD hardware problem? BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33