Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: pc crash during disk defrag, windows no longer able to boot.

05 Sep 2011   #1
discoslim

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 
pc crash during disk defrag, windows no longer able to boot.

Hello windows 7 guru's, I was having performance problems with my pc, and decided to do a defrag using defraggler by piriform. Sometime in the process, my computer froze up, and then gave me a fatal error saying some type of .dll was missing and that windows must shut down.

Since then, windows will not boot. I believe it is not a hardware issue, as in accessing the bios everything seemed to running fine. In the boot up, it goes to the hardware monitor (like it usually does) then my monitor gets a blank screen. After a long period of time, The blank screen turns into half of what the windows boot looks like, with the microsoft corporation logo and a blank loading bar.

I do not know if the harddrive itself got damaged in the process, or just the software. Any guidance is appreciated!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Sep 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by discoslim View Post
Hello windows 7 guru's, I was having performance problems with my pc, and decided to do a defrag using defraggler by piriform. Sometime in the process, my computer froze up, and then gave me a fatal error saying some type of .dll was missing and that windows must shut down.

Since then, windows will not boot. I believe it is not a hardware issue, as in accessing the bios everything seemed to running fine. In the boot up, it goes to the hardware monitor (like it usually does) then my monitor gets a blank screen. After a long period of time, The blank screen turns into half of what the windows boot looks like, with the microsoft corporation logo and a blank loading bar.

I do not know if the harddrive itself got damaged in the process, or just the software. Any guidance is appreciated!

Can you boot into safe mode (F8)?

Do you have the win 7 DVD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2011   #3
discoslim

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

after some time, the f8 screen does appear. After choosing to load in safe mode, it started loading files very slowly (never actually got to the windows loading logo screen)

And for the windows cd, im at college right now and left it at home...

Do you think the shutdown while defragging caused windows to get scrambled up?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Sep 2011   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by discoslim View Post
after some time, the f8 screen does appear. After choosing to load in safe mode, it started loading files very slowly (never actually got to the windows loading logo screen)

And for the windows cd, im at college right now and left it at home...

Do you think the shutdown while defragging caused windows to get scrambled up?
Can you borrow a DVD?

Probably
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #5
discoslim

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

If I booted with the dvd, would it erase everything on my hard drive??

Should I get an external harddrive, and do a fresh install of windows with that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2011   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by discoslim View Post
If I booted with the dvd, would it erase everything on my hard drive??

Should I get an external harddrive, and do a fresh install of windows with that?
A repair install shouldnt erase everything and would prevent you from having to re-install all of your apps, etc.

As always backup first



A clean install is the most efficient your computer can be and the most stable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Sep 2011   #7
discoslim

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

OK i got an external harddrive and I copied the contents of windows 7 onto it. I unplugged the messed up internal harddrive. I am now receiving a "a disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". Any suggestions on what to do? any bios tests to determine how mess up the internal is?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 pc crash during disk defrag, windows no longer able to boot.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
After disk defrag is run, Window7 stuck at blue Windows screen
I ran the Windows disk defrag program today, it ran thru 10 iterations or consolidations. After it was completed, I restarted the computer, it asked me for my login/password which it accepted, but it has been stuck on the blue Windows screen with the little circle to the left of 'windows' circling...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows is taking longer and longer to Boot?
ok so my laptop's a few years old. It came with Windows 7 Home Basic. it still has it. My question is that it take A LOT of time to boot. Heres what happens: 1. The starting windows doesn't take that long to disappear, im satisfied with it. 2. But the welcome screen, ugh, First it just...
Performance & Maintenance
Auslogics Disk Defrag vs IObit Smart Defrag
Which Defragger do you think is better, because I am trying to decide between the two, but can't decide on one or the other.
Software
Disk boot failure after game crash
A while back my computer crashed when playing ARMA2. I was playing and suddenly my screen turned black but the sound kept playing. I did a hard reboot and i got a Disk Boot failure. I decide to do another hard reboot and the computer turned on normally. After this i haven't had any problems any...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows Disk Defrag Doesn't Defrag
Disk defrag stops analyzing at 62% and doesn't go any further. So I downloaded Defraggler and ran it. It worked but it wouldn't defrag down to 0% fragmentation, It still shows 4% after defrag.
Performance & Maintenance
Disk Defrag isnt working in Windows 7?
I have a E drive that's 1.5TB and I download movies and delete movies from there. I know 100% its fragmented like crazy. But when windows 7 analyzes it it says its 0% fragment. Is this correct?
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App