There are a half dozen threads from the past several years addressing the same issue - none have a solution or explain what the cause is.
This is the exact text of the error:
MS Visual C++ Runtime Library
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
In safe mode the startup stops at ATiPcie.sys
; search found similar black screen with mouse complaints
The machine setup has worked fine for several months, and shutdown without any events last evening. This morning at startup the popup with a black screen appeared. I have tried all of the suggestions posted on the treads.
- Attempted to install autocad2012sp1x64.exe but it did not install due to the version installed is Civil 3D 2012 not ACAD2012.
- Installed PublishDWGtoGE.zip without issues - a new icon appeared in my ACAD GUI but have not tried it yet
- Changed my clear temporary files at startup script from shutdown to startup, restarted several times and seemed to work fine
- Cleared several GB of temp files that ACAD C3D accumulates - this has been done several times without problems
- This machine is used as a CAD workstation and is not used for games, entertainment, social networking (besides help forum threads), or other common uses that attract viruses. The only web browsing is to read the news and email.
- Note that this machine has a PCI-E solid state harddrive in Raid 0 - occasionally it triggers a disk check at startup due what has been assumed a driver issue that results in a poor shutdown, it has not been anything more than annoying - one of the other threads had a similar SSD raid 0 setup. I removed the startup script and ran a checkdisk in case they were conflicting.
I have access to the drive through a backup drive running the same OS; the specifics of the machine setup are documented here on a wiki page cee241:software:settings:tower [CIFE Wiki]
Finding a solution or at least the cause so it can be avoided next time is the goal.
Research: these are the six solutions posted to help forum threads