Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WSOD upon trying to boot windows 7

11 Sep 2011   #1
OlegWasHere

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 
WSOD upon trying to boot windows 7

Thats right guys white screen of death not blue.
So my friend brought his daughters laptop over
Dell Inspiron 1764
its over a year old and the warranty has gone.
He thinks the fan died and it overheated the processor

Upon first looking at it when first startup always went to the white screen.
I let it sit for a day and now can get into bios and startup sequence normally.
I can go to repair.
I tried that and it said if you've recently plugged in a camera unplug it.
There was a usb mouse attached so i unattached and restart the test.

The last one took 8 hours too conclude they couldn't fix the problem.

Now the white screen doesn't come on until i try to load windows where it hangs at the starting windows 7 screen

Will a clean install fix this?
Or would he have to replace the fan/processor/heatsync ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2011   #2
seth500

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OlegWasHere View Post
Thats right guys white screen of death not blue.
So my friend brought his daughters laptop over
Dell Inspiron 1764
its over a year old and the warranty has gone.
He thinks the fan died and it overheated the processor

Upon first looking at it when first startup always went to the white screen.
I let it sit for a day and now can get into bios and startup sequence normally.
I can go to repair.
I tried that and it said if you've recently plugged in a camera unplug it.
There was a usb mouse attached so i unattached and restart the test.

The last one took 8 hours too conclude they couldn't fix the problem.

Now the white screen doesn't come on until i try to load windows where it hangs at the starting windows 7 screen

Will a clean install fix this?
Or would he have to replace the fan/processor/heatsync ?
If the fan was gone and the processor has overheated you would have to fix those items to get a good system going again but personally if the laptop is over a year old and no warranty. The best bet would be to get a new laptop for the reason being that just to crack it open someone is gonna charge you an arm and a leg to do it, unless you can perform it yourself..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2011   #3
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Press F12 at boot & run the Dell diagnostic tool.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2011   #4
OlegWasHere

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Press F12 at boot & run the Dell diagnostic tool.
i got error code 2000-0142 with a nice little tune.
says hard drive error.

would this cause a wsod? (wont even let me boot to the bios)

well if it did overheat the fan is working now . the computer has been on for the past 10 hours with only restarts when i tried to load the os.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2011   #5
OlegWasHere

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seth500 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OlegWasHere View Post
Thats right guys white screen of death not blue.
So my friend brought his daughters laptop over
Dell Inspiron 1764
its over a year old and the warranty has gone.
He thinks the fan died and it overheated the processor

Upon first looking at it when first startup always went to the white screen.
I let it sit for a day and now can get into bios and startup sequence normally.
I can go to repair.
I tried that and it said if you've recently plugged in a camera unplug it.
There was a usb mouse attached so i unattached and restart the test.

The last one took 8 hours too conclude they couldn't fix the problem.

Now the white screen doesn't come on until i try to load windows where it hangs at the starting windows 7 screen

Will a clean install fix this?
Or would he have to replace the fan/processor/heatsync ?
If the fan was gone and the processor has overheated you would have to fix those items to get a good system going again but personally if the laptop is over a year old and no warranty. The best bet would be to get a new laptop for the reason being that just to crack it open someone is gonna charge you an arm and a leg to do it, unless you can perform it yourself..
yes i do understand that those parts would have to be replaced.
I personally haven't taken it apart yet because my non magnetic tools are at work until tomorrow.

But the way its running i dont think it overheated and if it did it only cause damage to the harddrive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2011   #6
seth500

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I'd say if you got the ability go for it and do it, it would be cheaper than trying to replace it we both know a good new laptop is gonna cost at least 1000 dollars or more.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2011   #7
OlegWasHere

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seth500 View Post
I'd say if you got the ability go for it and do it, it would be cheaper than trying to replace it we both know a good new laptop is gonna cost at least 1000 dollars or more.
brushing up on ubuntu skills now lol.
will update tomorrow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2011   #8
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OlegWasHere View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Press F12 at boot & run the Dell diagnostic tool.
i got error code 2000-0142 with a nice little tune.
says hard drive error.

would this cause a wsod? (wont even let me boot to the bios)

well if it did overheat the fan is working now . the computer has been on for the past 10 hours with only restarts when i tried to load the os.
Dell error code 2000-0142
The 2000-0142 error code specifically means that the hard drive self-test failed, which means the drive is no longer reliable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Sep 2011   #9
OlegWasHere

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Update.
I used the ubuntu live cd and an external drive to take all necessary files off the old drive.

put the new drive in and installed windows 7 but as soon as it needs services it gave me the white screen. i restarted and kept giving me the loop. but now i reformatted and reinstalling again hopefully it will work this time.

anything else that would cause this? btw i ran the dell diagnostic again and no errors were found.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2011   #10
OlegWasHere

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Any other reasons why this would happen?
i got win7 onto it and it works fine.
just one in that 10 chance itll go to a white screen while starting up.
all the drivers are fine, the registry is fine and im sure i seated the new hdd correctly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WSOD upon trying to boot windows 7




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
WSOD & BlackSOD, recent crashes & other misc problems
As the title suggests my Windows 7 Dell Laptop has been crashing recently. Last Monday I received a Black screen of death and a white screen of death while browsing the internet. A quick Google search for help led me to do a System Restore, so I did this, giving back as far as possible without...
BSOD Help and Support
Constant WSOD
I see alot of people having the same problem as me, but I haven't come across a fix yet, wondering if anyone has any ideas on this one. I'm constantly getting the semi-transparent white screen and freeze up when in firefox, or Catalyst Control Centre. Sometimes it will un-freeze in a few...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 Suddenly Lag then BSOD/WSOD
System specs listed in my profile. During the last couple months, I have had a problem with my PC. The symptom is that the system randomly (and suddenly) went very laggy (extremely slow mouse cursor response, sound starting to stutter), and ultimately, the system crashed with a Blue Screen or...
BSOD Help and Support
Bsod brick>wsod>dead. Help please!
Ok So basically i accidently downgraded firmware on my HP COMPAQ Presario Cq61 Windows 7 home edition , then and error came up - 104-unsupport network driver please remove and start again i done this then it worked and fine again then every time i logged in it said my windows 7 copy is not genuine...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD and WSOD on Windows 7, P5Q Deluxe, GeForce 260 GTX
Hi everyone I'm writing this post to share the result of my 4 day fighting with my new PC and Windows 7. I've just bought my new PC with the following configuration: Motherboard: P5Q Deluxe CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 Graphic: GeForce 260GTX HDD: Patriot Warp 2.5" SATA2...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:31.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App