Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Constant BSODs


04 Oct 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Constant BSODs

Ok. I'm gonna give you everything I can think of. I'll start with the Minidumps from the last few weeks, a few BSODs I actually captured, as well as hardware info.

I've searched a bit on the internet for BSOD error numbers, but haven't found anything pertinent yet. It should be noted that my computer's been acting this way through two separate installs of Windows 7, one RC 32-bit, one Home Premium SP1 64-bit.

I'm including ~12 minidumps and 6 BSODs in two separate zips.

I've had these types of BSODs

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (2 included, several that I remember)

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (1? Maybe more.)

An attempt was made to execute to non-executable memory. (at least one)

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (1 for sure, maybe more.)

The driver is mismanaging system PTEs. (1 at least.)

Some others I don't remember/didn't record.


The minidumps probably give a more precise and complete picture, but I thought I'd give my rather bad memory a shot.


Now, I bought and built my computer myself, so I'll give as complete a list and description of the parts as I can. A few of them very well could be at fault, so know I know that.

BIOSTAR A870U3 (bought open-box from Newegg...maybe be a problem, but I can't afford to test that theory.)
AMD Athlon II x4 620 (bought off Craigslist on the major cheaps. Could easily be faulty.)
Powercolor Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-e 2.0 (also bought on Craigslist on the cheap. Could also be the problem, but it works fine besides the BSODs.)
PNY 2x2 GB DDR3 1600 (running at 1333, as far as I know. Bought on Newegg brand new.)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 (Newegg, OEM, brand new.)

The BSODs mainly occur while playing BFBC2. The settings don't seem to effect the BSODs at all. I tried turning it to DX9, but no cigar. Anywho.


Ok. Anything else you need, just ask. I'm really hoping I can get away with such a cheap computer (spent ~250 on it!), but I'd like to figure out what's going on either way.

Thanks in advance!


!Noah!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Oct 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theRatchetOrang View Post
Ok. I'm gonna give you everything I can think of. I'll start with the Minidumps from the last few weeks, a few BSODs I actually captured, as well as hardware info.

I've searched a bit on the internet for BSOD error numbers, but haven't found anything pertinent yet. It should be noted that my computer's been acting this way through two separate installs of Windows 7, one RC 32-bit, one Home Premium SP1 64-bit.

I'm including ~12 minidumps and 6 BSODs in two separate zips.

I've had these types of BSODs

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (2 included, several that I remember)

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (1? Maybe more.)

An attempt was made to execute to non-executable memory. (at least one)

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (1 for sure, maybe more.)

The driver is mismanaging system PTEs. (1 at least.)

Some others I don't remember/didn't record.


The minidumps probably give a more precise and complete picture, but I thought I'd give my rather bad memory a shot.


Now, I bought and built my computer myself, so I'll give as complete a list and description of the parts as I can. A few of them very well could be at fault, so know I know that.

BIOSTAR A870U3 (bought open-box from Newegg...maybe be a problem, but I can't afford to test that theory.)
AMD Athlon II x4 620 (bought off Craigslist on the major cheaps. Could easily be faulty.)
Powercolor Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCI-e 2.0 (also bought on Craigslist on the cheap. Could also be the problem, but it works fine besides the BSODs.)
PNY 2x2 GB DDR3 1600 (running at 1333, as far as I know. Bought on Newegg brand new.)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 (Newegg, OEM, brand new.)

The BSODs mainly occur while playing BFBC2. The settings don't seem to effect the BSODs at all. I tried turning it to DX9, but no cigar. Anywho.


Ok. Anything else you need, just ask. I'm really hoping I can get away with such a cheap computer (spent ~250 on it!), but I'd like to figure out what's going on either way.

Thanks in advance!


!Noah!


We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.


To ensure minidumps are enabled:

* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.

Also please run these two tests.



1-Memtest.

*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+



2-Driver verifier

Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Windows 7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Hey!

Thanks for the response.

However. 1. I've run the Memtest (not recently, I'll do it tonight overnight) without errors. 2. I DID include the dump files. I changed the dump size to 256 KBs, if that's at all relevant.

Still, it seems you've given me a generic response in order to simplify things for you. Hey, I gave you most of what you asked for before you asked for it! I'm doing pretty well in my book.

Anyway, at what point should I do step two? After I've tried everything else and backed up my computer?

I'll start the memory test and leave it running overnight. Other than that, it appears you have what you need.


!Noah!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Oct 2011   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theRatchetOrang View Post
Hey!

Thanks for the response.

However. 1. I've run the Memtest (not recently, I'll do it tonight overnight) without errors. 2. I DID include the dump files. I changed the dump size to 256 KBs, if that's at all relevant.

Still, it seems you've given me a generic response in order to simplify things for you. Hey, I gave you most of what you asked for before you asked for it! I'm doing pretty well in my book.

Anyway, at what point should I do step two? After I've tried everything else and backed up my computer?

I'll start the memory test and leave it running overnight. Other than that, it appears you have what you need.


!Noah!
Noah

We often use canned speeches because when you have typed the same thing hundreds of times it tends to be a bit tedious.

If you have done memtest and it passed at least 5 passes I would move on to driver verifier.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Thanks for your help. I tested the memory, analyzed the problem rather speedily, and decided to switch from slots 1 and 2 to 3 and 4. Problem solved. Still, at least one slot doesn't appear to work. Not good.

Happy overall, though. No more CTDs in BC2, no more BSODs over the course of two days...a win, I say.

Cheers!


!Noah!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2011   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theRatchetOrang View Post
Thanks for your help. I tested the memory, analyzed the problem rather speedily, and decided to switch from slots 1 and 2 to 3 and 4. Problem solved. Still, at least one slot doesn't appear to work. Not good.

Happy overall, though. No more CTDs in BC2, no more BSODs over the course of two days...a win, I say.

Cheers!


!Noah!
Glad to see you working. Let us know if we can help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Constant BSODs




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Constant BSODs
Thread Forum
Constant BSoDs BSOD Help and Support
Getting constant BSODs BSOD Help and Support
Constant BSODs BSOD Help and Support
Constant BSODs BSOD Help and Support
Constant BSODs BSOD Help and Support
Constant BSODs! Please help! BSOD Help and Support
Constant BSODS BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33