Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Intermittent BSOD ntoskrnl.exe (nt+7cc40)

17 Oct 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Intermittent BSOD ntoskrnl.exe (nt+7cc40)

The BSODs appear random - eg once during surfing with IE9, another time while using Photoshop. BSODs not regular or often - maybe once a fortnight - but seemingly completely unpredictable.

MemTest run (just for an hour) didn't show up any problems.

I'd be grateful for a steer on what can be causing the BSODs.

Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Oct 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Davidc2 View Post
The BSODs appear random - eg once during surfing with IE9, another time while using Photoshop. BSODs not regular or often - maybe once a fortnight - but seemingly completely unpredictable.

MemTest run (just for an hour) didn't show up any problems.

I'd be grateful for a steer on what can be causing the BSODs.

Thanks
Easy, your Symantec is causing memory corruption. Remove and replace with Microsoft Security Essentials


ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe


Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Oct 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks. Could you tell that Norton is causing the problem from the mini dumps?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Oct 2011   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Davidc2 View Post
Thanks. Could you tell that Norton is causing the problem from the mini dumps?
At least two absolutely are Related to BHDrvx64.sys BASH Driver from Symantec Corporation.

Most exhibit memory management issues (also possibly related to Symantec) so I would say "definitely", no. Probably YES.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks. That's very helpful. Never had a problem with NIS 2012 before (it hasn't been out long of course and I upgraded to it over NIS 2011 - maybe a clean install would have been better) but I have now changed to F-Secure and will see if I get any more BSODs. I prefer this to MS Essentials. I'll see what happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2011   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Davidc2 View Post
Thanks. That's very helpful. Never had a problem with NIS 2012 before (it hasn't been out long of course and I upgraded to it over NIS 2011 - maybe a clean install would have been better) but I have now changed to F-Secure and will see if I get any more BSODs. I prefer this to MS Essentials. I'll see what happens.
Of course and your call. good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Just when I thought it was safe to get back in the water...

I was browsing in IE9 and listening to a streamed radio programme using BBC I-Player just now and bang. No Norton on my system now so I'll be very interested to hear what the culprit is this time.

Thanks for any more help you can give me. I'm ready to go to Microsoft Essentials if that really will be the answer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2011   #8

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Davidc2 View Post
I was browsing in IE9 and listening to a streamed radio programme using BBC I-Player just now and bang. No Norton on my system now so I'll be very interested to hear what the culprit is this time.

Thanks for any more help you can give me. I'm ready to go to Microsoft Essentials if that really will be the answer.
Still memory management. Either RAM or a dirver. One way to find out which is to run these two tests.


These were caused by a memory exception. Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.



1-Memtest.


*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+



2-Driver verifier


Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Windows 7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks. I ran Driver Verifier and on the very first restart after setting up Verifier I got a BSOD. I attach the minidump - the relevant minidump report is the last one. I let Verifier run on for a while over a few more restarts and also while I worked with Photoshop for a while, but got no more BSODs.

I'd be grateful to know if the latest minidump points to a particular driver. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2011   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Davidc2 View Post
Thanks. I ran Driver Verifier and on the very first restart after setting up Verifier I got a BSOD. I attach the minidump - the relevant minidump report is the last one. I let Verifier run on for a while over a few more restarts and also while I worked with Photoshop for a while, but got no more BSODs.

I'd be grateful to know if the latest minidump points to a particular driver. Thanks.

David

Newest crash is still related to memory management and was verified but unfortunately verifier couldnt trap the offending driver. That does sometimes happen.

If you have not can you run a system file check to verify and repair system files?


Run a system file check to verify and repair your system files.
To do this type cmd in search, then right click to run as administrator, then
SFC /SCANNOW

Read here for more information SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Let us know the results from the report at the end.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Intermittent BSOD ntoskrnl.exe (nt+7cc40)




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Intermittent BSOD ntoskrnl.exe (nt+7cc40)
Thread Forum
BSOD Windows 7 - ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40 BSOD Help and Support
BSOD ntoskrnl.exe 7cc40 BSOD Help and Support
BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40 BSOD Help and Support
Solved Random BSOD - ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40 BSOD Help and Support
BSOD every time ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40 BSOD Help and Support
ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40 BSOD's BSOD Help and Support
Solved BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+26ee0 ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40 BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33