Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD after computer is idle for 2 hours


28 Oct 2011   #1

Windows 7 x64
 
 
BSOD after computer is idle for 2 hours

Hi,

I just recently (less than 2 weeks) installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Professional x64 on my desktop computer which used to run on Windows XP Professional. I reformatted the partition that has my OS and installed Windows 7.

Here are my hardware specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model: MS-7380
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM (2 KVR667D2N5/1G modules and 1 KVR667D2N5/2G)
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Motherboard: P7N SLI Platinum (http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P7N-SL.../?div=Overview)
Display: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

The only new addition to my computer's hardware was a New memory module, Kingston KVR667D2N5/2G. Here is the link to the manufacturer's site: Kingston Technology Company - Kingston Memory Search - Search Results for:

As you can see, Kingston site says its compatible with my motherboard. So I'd assume there is no issue with that new addition.

So far, my computer would crash under one of the following instances:
1. Wake up from sleep
2. Wake up from hibernate (sometimes my computer had been rebooted the next morning though it's hibernated)
3. Computer is idle

I'm not too sure what issues there are. I suspect it might be a driver issue or a ram issue. I've worked with computers for the past 10 years and this is the first time I've had this problem of consistent BSODs which i'm unable to solve, which makes me feel worried I've gotton rusty at troubleshooting PCs.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've attached all 7 blue screen dumpfiles as well as my full computer specs from dxDiag.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Oct 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by candeehman View Post
Hi,

I just recently (less than 2 weeks) installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Professional x64 on my desktop computer which used to run on Windows XP Professional. I reformatted the partition that has my OS and installed Windows 7.

Here are my hardware specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
System Model: MS-7380
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM (2 KVR667D2N5/1G modules and 1 KVR667D2N5/2G)
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Motherboard: P7N SLI Platinum (MSI Global - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more)
Display: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

The only new addition to my computer's hardware was a New memory module, Kingston KVR667D2N5/2G. Here is the link to the manufacturer's site: Kingston Technology Company - Kingston Memory Search - Search Results for:

As you can see, Kingston site says its compatible with my motherboard. So I'd assume there is no issue with that new addition.

So far, my computer would crash under one of the following instances:
1. Wake up from sleep
2. Wake up from hibernate (sometimes my computer had been rebooted the next morning though it's hibernated)
3. Computer is idle

I'm not too sure what issues there are. I suspect it might be a driver issue or a ram issue. I've worked with computers for the past 10 years and this is the first time I've had this problem of consistent BSODs which i'm unable to solve, which makes me feel worried I've gotton rusty at troubleshooting PCs.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've attached all 7 blue screen dumpfiles as well as my full computer specs from dxDiag.
You have several probable causes to your crashes. Usually when there are this many it is a hardware complaint of some kind. Since you have recently put RAM in I would start there.

Please run these two tests and update the drivers listed below


1-Memtest.

*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+



2-Driver verifier


Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Windows 7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable


Old drivers needing updating
Code:
dadder.sys    8/2/2007 5:33:03 AM        fffff880`04de0000    fffff880`04de3180    0x00003180    0x46b1a4cf                        
mcdbus.sys    2/24/2009 6:34:07 AM        fffff880`04a50000    fffff880`04a8c880    0x0003c880    0x49a3cd1f                        
nvstor64.sys    6/30/2009 8:21:51 PM        fffff880`00e00000    fffff880`00e3f000    0x0003f000    0x4a4aac1f                        
nvmf6264.sys    7/1/2009 2:55:18 PM        fffff880`04ac2000    fffff880`04b13500    0x00051500    0x4a4bb116
How To Find Drivers:
Quote:
- search Google for the name of the driver
- compare the Google results with what's installed on your system to figure out which device/program it belongs to
- visit the web site of the manufacturer of the hardware/program to get the latest drivers (DON'T use Windows Update or the Update driver function of Device Manager).
- if there are difficulties in locating them, post back with questions and someone will try and help you locate the appropriate program.
- - The most common drivers are listed on this page: Driver Reference Driver Reference
- - Driver manufacturer links are on this page: Drivers and Downloads
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2011   #3

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Ok, thanks for the advice. To date, I have done the following:

Update the drivers you listed, except for the mcdbus.sys. This is a virtual cd driver i think, by Magic Disk, it works like DAEMON tools but with a bunch of really useful tools. I couldn't find a newer driver for that though. I might just uninstall it and use another tool instead to make things easier.

I also ran a hard disk test twice, came out with no errors.
I also ran a memory test for about 5 hours? There were lots of errors, all of them seemed to look identical. I ran that test with all my cards in though, i ran it before i managed to look at your post reply. Any idea where the results might be found? I just came back from dinner, while my pc was still running, about an hour later, BSOD again with a 0x3A if im not wrong. So today i've had 4 BSODs. /facepalm.

Im not too keen on spending hours and hours doing the 2nd part though, looks quite scary considering i might not be able to reach desktop.

Do you recon, a clean install might fix it if i don't let windows install any drivers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Oct 2011   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by candeehman View Post
Ok, thanks for the advice. To date, I have done the following:

Update the drivers you listed, except for the mcdbus.sys. This is a virtual cd driver i think, by Magic Disk, it works like DAEMON tools but with a bunch of really useful tools. I couldn't find a newer driver for that though. I might just uninstall it and use another tool instead to make things easier.

I also ran a hard disk test twice, came out with no errors.
I also ran a memory test for about 5 hours? There were lots of errors, all of them seemed to look identical. I ran that test with all my cards in though, i ran it before i managed to look at your post reply. Any idea where the results might be found? I just came back from dinner, while my pc was still running, about an hour later, BSOD again with a 0x3A if im not wrong. So today i've had 4 BSODs. /facepalm.

Im not too keen on spending hours and hours doing the 2nd part though, looks quite scary considering i might not be able to reach desktop.

Do you recon, a clean install might fix it if i don't let windows install any drivers?

If it is hardware it wont.

One simple test you can run to check the os is system file check

Run a system file check to verify and repair your system files.
To do this type cmd in search, then right click to run as administrator, then
SFC /SCANNOW

Read here for more information SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Let us know the results from the report at the end.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #5

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I happened to have run that check earlier, it came back with no errors. Would that mean that it's down to hardware most likely?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by candeehman View Post
I happened to have run that check earlier, it came back with no errors. Would that mean that it's down to hardware most likely?
Still might be a software issue and since that is easier to fix and less expensive lets try this


From an elevated command prompt please type powercfg -a and let us know the supported sleep states.

Also do you have a page file and a hiberfil file on the same drive as the OS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2011   #7

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Thank you zigzag3143.

The problem has been solved. After a weeks worth of testing my ram modules one by one, one of them happened to come up with 48 errors under 2 mins of testing. Removed that module and my computer has not had a BSOD for the past week. Thank you so much for imparting some knowledge on troubleshooting hardware to me. Thank you very much!

<3
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD after computer is idle for 2 hours




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33