Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Random BSOD's without noticable pattern

30 Oct 2011   #1
aznpos531

Windows 7 Home Premium (OEM)
 
 
Random BSOD's without noticable pattern

I'm unsure as to what causes the BSOD's. It can happen while I'm doing something on the computer (internet surfing, watching videos, word processing etc.) or sometimes it will happen while the system is idling.

Here are the specs of my computer:
Alienware M17x R3
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Alienware/Dell OEM w/ SP1 installed
The computer was bought new in June 2011
Windows was installed an an OCZ Agilty 3 120 GB SSD sometime in July 2011

I think I've attached all pertinent files and information. Please let me know if I'm missing anything.

Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Oct 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aznpos531 View Post
Bump...Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry offline because of the snowstorm.

All of these were caused by ACPI.sys

That could be a bios bug (upgrade it), a cable off (check it) or other misc things.

If you do go to update your bios make sure you have a backup, restore point and win 7 dvd just in case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #3
aznpos531

Windows 7 Home Premium (OEM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aznpos531 View Post
Bump...Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry offline because of the snowstorm.

All of these were caused by ACPI.sys

That could be a bios bug (upgrade it), a cable off (check it) or other misc things.

If you do go to update your bios make sure you have a backup, restore point and win 7 dvd just in case.
Thanks for the reply and I hope the snowstorm isn't causing you too much trouble!

Playing with the BIOS always makes me nervous...I think I'll leave that as the last option.
Please excuse my ignorance but to which cable are you referring to? Or are you referring to any cable in the computer and I should check them all?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Oct 2011   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aznpos531 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aznpos531 View Post
Bump...Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry offline because of the snowstorm.

All of these were caused by ACPI.sys

That could be a bios bug (upgrade it), a cable off (check it) or other misc things.

If you do go to update your bios make sure you have a backup, restore point and win 7 dvd just in case.
Thanks for the reply and I hope the snowstorm isn't causing you too much trouble!

Playing with the BIOS always makes me nervous...I think I'll leave that as the last option.
Please excuse my ignorance but to which cable are you referring to? Or are you referring to any cable in the computer and I should check them all?
Is it a laptop or desktop? Under warranty?

Cables like sata to HD, eide to CD/DVD players. etc. My money is on BIOS.

If you are at all uncomfortable dont do it. Bring it to a pro.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2011   #5
aznpos531

Windows 7 Home Premium (OEM)
 
 

It's a laptop and yes it's still under warranty. However I've spoken with Dell tech support and they've been less than helpful.

I'll check all the cables to see that all it is in place and see how it goes. If this doesn't resolve the issue then I'll give the BIOS a flash and see where that takes me.

I'm interested to know (just trying to learn more) what makes you think the BIOS is to blame. If you could explain, that would be greatly appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2011   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aznpos531 View Post
It's a laptop and yes it's still under warranty. However I've spoken with Dell tech support and they've been less than helpful.

I'll check all the cables to see that all it is in place and see how it goes. If this doesn't resolve the issue then I'll give the BIOS a flash and see where that takes me.

I'm interested to know (just trying to learn more) what makes you think the BIOS is to blame. If you could explain, that would be greatly appreciated.
Well Dell is not my favorite mfr after a year in litigation with them, and their support is much less than helpful but you did pay for the warranty.

The ascip.sys drover issue is often the result of a Bios bug. It can be caused by other things as well but by far BIOS is the most frequent cause and your DMP's virtually all pointed to ascip/sys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Random BSOD's without noticable pattern




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Random BSOD, no pattern in event viewer
Hi, We have a machine which is randomly crashing, I have ran Who Crashed but it doesn't give me a lot of info. I have seen on the forums some succes with the dm log collector. I have attached that zip file, can anybody help? Thanks, Danny
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD on laptop, can't find a pattern
Hi, This is the laptop that I have: ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS U46E I have the i5 version, with a 750GB hard drive that I now put in an optical bay caddy (2nd HDD / SSD Caddy, Asus U41sv, U43jc, U46e, U47a, U50vg, U56e - $44.75 : NewmodeUS, Hard Drive Caddys for Notebooks) as a storage drivea...
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD, No clue and no pattern?
Hey everyone! I used to get BSODs from a poor quality Hitachi Hard drive that HP put in so I swapped it out for a better quality Seagate, but I've gotten 2 or 3 BSODs since I swapped them maybe 2-3 weeks ago. No clue why they happen, last one happened when the computer was just running and I...
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD crashes. No real pattern.
I am having BSOD issues with my new build. (1 week old) It is completely random and I don't know where to begin. I followed the instructions in this post and I'm hoping that you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance. System Manufacturer/Model Number Home build OS Windows 7 64-bit CPU...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD Random with no pattern
I have been struggling with BSOD since my PC was built. I have reinstalled from scratch but it still continues with no obvious pattern, often while the PC is idle and sometimes when shutting down. I use it mainly for media so it regularly happens in WMP as per the last two crashes in the logs. ...
BSOD Help and Support
Intermittent BSOD very random pattern
As you can see I've had quite a few in the last few weeks. All drivers are up to date using Driver Genius, EXCEPT the video driver. The latest caused most of the consecutive BSOD, and did not stop until I rolled back the driver. Now they come during browser based heavy flash use. I used a...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App