Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Continuous BSOD after memory errors

10 Nov 2011   #1
donmiq

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Continuous BSOD after memory errors

Hi, I have quite a peculiar issue. Keep in mind this has happened twice already. I'll be playing a game or just browsing the internet and all of the sudden I won't be able to do anything else and a whole bunch of referenced memory errors pop up. I restart and after the Windows 7 is loading splash screen, a bsod is shown and it continues like that until I reinstall Windows.

My first thought was obviously the memory, so I ran memtest and it got 22 passes, so I stopped. Next was the hdd and I ran a long generic test on it which lasted 4 hours and was fine. I've stress tested the gpu and cpu and both have seemed to be stable as well. I would test the psu but I am unsure how to do so with a multimeter.

I was playing SC2 and I got a bsod, so I thought I was a goner again, but it thankfully did not do the continuous bsod, and actually let me back into windows. I am assuming that bsod is what's in the zip.

I will provide more details if need be. I just built this system so it's a bit unfortunate. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: System specs are in the drop down on the bottom left of this post.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Nov 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by donmiq View Post
Hi, I have quite a peculiar issue. Keep in mind this has happened twice already. I'll be playing a game or just browsing the internet and all of the sudden I won't be able to do anything else and a whole bunch of referenced memory errors pop up. I restart and after the Windows 7 is loading splash screen, a bsod is shown and it continues like that until I reinstall Windows.

My first thought was obviously the memory, so I ran memtest and it got 22 passes, so I stopped. Next was the hdd and I ran a long generic test on it which lasted 4 hours and was fine. I've stress tested the gpu and cpu and both have seemed to be stable as well. I would test the psu but I am unsure how to do so with a multimeter.

I was playing SC2 and I got a bsod, so I thought I was a goner again, but it thankfully did not do the continuous bsod, and actually let me back into windows. I am assuming that bsod is what's in the zip.

I will provide more details if need be. I just built this system so it's a bit unfortunate. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: System specs are in the drop down on the bottom left of this post.





No DMP files included in upload please try this method


We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:

* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.


To ensure minidumps are enabled:

* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2011   #3
donmiq

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Alright, so it figures it was on kernel memory dump and not minidump. Therefore, I do not have anything in my minidump folder as it wrote a huge 500mb file in my Windows directory named MEMORY.dmp.

I won't upload it for obvious reasons, but is there something I can do with it to get you the information you need, instead of waiting for it to blue screen again?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Nov 2011   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by donmiq View Post
Alright, so it figures it was on kernel memory dump and not minidump. Therefore, I do not have anything in my minidump folder as it wrote a huge 500mb file in my Windows directory named MEMORY.dmp.

I won't upload it for obvious reasons, but is there something I can do with it to get you the information you need, instead of waiting for it to blue screen again?
You could download Blue screen view and run it but the application often incorrectly blames OS files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2011   #5
donmiq

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Alright, it happened while I was away from the computer. This time I got the dump.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2011   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by donmiq View Post
Alright, it happened while I was away from the computer. This time I got the dump.
Memory corruption. Could be ram or a driver (probably a driver)

Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.


1-Memtest.
Quote:
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.
RAM - Test with Memtest86+



2-Driver verifier

Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable




My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2011   #7
donmiq

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by donmiq View Post
Alright, it happened while I was away from the computer. This time I got the dump.
Memory corruption. Could be ram or a driver (probably a driver)

Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.


1-Memtest.
Quote:
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.
RAM - Test with Memtest86+



2-Driver verifier

Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable




I have already tested the ram using memtest with 22 passes and 0 fails. I'm not sure how much testing is needed. I would think the ram should be good with that many passes? It would be wonderful if it was just a driver, but I need to know which one. So the point here is to have the blue screen happen? And when it happens, it will report to me which one failed? Or am I supposed to do different things and repeat what I think causes the crash? Sorry for the dumb questions, I've just never done this before.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2011   #8
donmiq

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Ok, right after the splash screen it crashes. I am able to go into safe mode. How do I know which driver it is? Am i supposed to use process of elimination until I can boot into Windows? Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2011   #9
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by donmiq View Post
Ok, right after the splash screen it crashes. I am able to go into safe mode. How do I know which driver it is? Am i supposed to use process of elimination until I can boot into Windows? Thanks.
The fact that you can boot into safe mode suggests it is a driver. Which one is hard to say given you cant run verifier.

Do you by chance have a backup you can restore from?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2011   #10
donmiq

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by donmiq View Post
Ok, right after the splash screen it crashes. I am able to go into safe mode. How do I know which driver it is? Am i supposed to use process of elimination until I can boot into Windows? Thanks.
The fact that you can boot into safe mode suggests it is a driver. Which one is hard to say given you cant run verifier.

Do you by chance have a backup you can restore from?
Here's what's happened since I last posted. After I went into safe mode, I ran verifier and removed the existing settings and saw that daemon tools was the likely culprit for preventing the boot into Windows.

I then uninstalled it and ran verifier again and everything was working fine until I tried installed Windows updates, only for it to blue screen when it installs them on boot up. I went into safe mode and it reverted the updates.

Saw that eset smart security was causing the bsod and uninstalled that. Now I have avg and have been running with verifier and haven't crashed yet. I'm hoping to god that daemon and eset were the cause as it would be so stressful for it to be a hardware issue, such as the psu.

Is there anything you can think of with the given information? I thank you very much for helping me thus far.

EDIT: I can provide all the minidumps that have happened since, there are about 3-4. Some say ntoskrnl.exe but that hasn't happened since.
Edit 2: Nevermind, just happened again while playing Skyrim. This time it said page fault in non paged area, blaming ntoskrnl again. Uploaded the dump.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Continuous BSOD after memory errors




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
MEMORY MANAGEMENT BSOD - No memtest errors! - Help please!
Hi, I have today had a bsod which said memory management, i have the mini dump files if required. I dont understand why this is happening because i have checked my ram for 12 hours on memtest86 and it has come up with no errors, i have had no problems with my hardware before and since the...
BSOD Help and Support
Multiple Errors BSOD, NTOSKRNL.exe, possible memory involvment
My computer recently started giving me BSOD's with increasing frequency. Most of them indicate that the NTOSKRNL.exe is the driver leading to the fault, which I have read means it is something else as this is maintained by microsoft, and most likely not the real problem. After some faults, my...
BSOD Help and Support
Continuous BSODs, cause unknown (Various errors)
I should note I have been here before and posted about BSODs I was having. Unfortunately, at the time something came up and I never got around to coming back. By now, however, the problem has gotten worse. Before, it only crashed when I was playing graphic-heavy games. Now it crashes at completely...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD errors seem to be related to memory, codes include : 0x0000001e
OS: Windows 7SP1 64 bit XP 32 bit. Has since had the drive reformatted. The Operating System was a student upgrade version but is now a full retail version (I called Microsoft Support a while back) System is approximately 1 and a half years old (Graphics card only seven months) It is...
BSOD Help and Support
Continuous chkdsk errors ?
i am getting lately often chkdsk launching on boot and also when i use it to check the situation on the reported partitions (at least two physical drives so far) it reports errors almost on every run even if sometimes they are like 10 minutes after the previous "scan and fix errors" .... ...
Performance & Maintenance
bluescreens/stack dumps/memory errors/bad image errors
Hello, I've had nothing but great luck with Windows 7 and my current computer for almost a year. A couple weeks ago, however, I started getting intermittent, and seemingly random stop screens. There seems to be no pattern to the blue screens; sometimes I'll be gaming or sometimes the...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:46.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App