Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: BSOD crash right after Windows splash screen

10 Nov 2011   #1

Win 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 
BSOD crash right after Windows splash screen

Minidump zip is attached. Been getting BSODs for a while now and they seem to be getting worse. Right now I cant boot into normal Windows 7 without getting a BSOD in 30 seconds in the context of a new 560 Ti since the old one died (I uninstalled drivers properly using driversweeper in safe mode as well). They usually occur 1-2 minutes after Windows 7 splash screen finishes loading and seem to occur faster if I try to do stuff while computer is loading startup programs. If I can make it past the first 5 mins I usually will not get BSODs unless I restart. Booting into safe mode does not trigger BSODs.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Nov 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MD2be View Post
Minidump zip is attached. Been getting BSODs for a while now and they seem to be getting worse. Right now I cant boot into normal Windows 7 without getting a BSOD in 30 seconds in the context of a new 560 Ti since the old one died (I uninstalled drivers properly using driversweeper in safe mode as well). They usually occur 1-2 minutes after Windows 7 splash screen finishes loading and seem to occur faster if I try to do stuff while computer is loading startup programs. If I can make it past the first 5 mins I usually will not get BSODs unless I restart. Booting into safe mode does not trigger BSODs.

These crashes were caused by a memory exception. Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.


1-Memtest.

*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+



2-Driver verifier

Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Windows 7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2011   #3

Win 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

First of all thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it.

I ran Memtest 86 4.0a for 6 passes with both sticks of RAM in with 0 errors.

I enabled verifier.exe as described, but noticed that there were only ~10 drivers I was asking it to check (no diea if that is normal or not). I rebooted and surprisingly did not get a BSOD right after launch. Went about things and it didnt crash until I launched Peerblock manually. On restart the computer BSODed before I could launch PB. The enxt time I was able to launch PB and it BSODed on cue. I uninstalled the program and it has yet to BSOD on me again. I will let it run for ~36 hours before putting it through a few restarts to see if it still does it.

Questions:
I dont see verifier.exe in my active processes or services, is this program running?
Is my driver list on verifier actually getting the potential problem driver?

Attached the minidumps related to last few crashes,let me know if I am missing anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Nov 2011   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MD2be View Post
First of all thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it.

I ran Memtest 86 4.0a for 6 passes with both sticks of RAM in with 0 errors.

I enabled verifier.exe as described, but noticed that there were only ~10 drivers I was asking it to check (no diea if that is normal or not). I rebooted and surprisingly did not get a BSOD right after launch. Went about things and it didnt crash until I launched Peerblock manually. On restart the computer BSODed before I could launch PB. The enxt time I was able to launch PB and it BSODed on cue. I uninstalled the program and it has yet to BSOD on me again. I will let it run for ~36 hours before putting it through a few restarts to see if it still does it.

Questions:
I dont see verifier.exe in my active processes or services, is this program running?
Is my driver list on verifier actually getting the potential problem driver?

Attached the minidumps related to last few crashes,let me know if I am missing anything.
Your observations are right on the money. Last two DMPS point directly to peerblock. Only other item that might be causing them (though I doubt it) is your Avast.

If the BSOD's continue I would replace the Avast with Microsoft Security essentials

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear5.exe

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows


Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2011   #5

Win 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Hmm still getting BSODs on restarts even after uninstalling Avast and Peerblock (No BSODs with 36 hours of verifier.exe though, disabled it and restarted and boom BSOD). Any other possible culprits? I can post DMPs later when I have more samples but I am pretty sure they will say the same things that the first file I posted says.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2011   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MD2be View Post
Hmm still getting BSODs on restarts even after uninstalling Avast and Peerblock (No BSODs with 36 hours of verifier.exe though, disabled it and restarted and boom BSOD). Any other possible culprits? I can post DMPs later when I have more samples but I am pretty sure they will say the same things that the first file I posted says.
I will be happy to look at them
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2011   #7

Win 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

I know this is a super delayed response but I have been nailed at work.

Attached is last 2 months worth of BSOD. Recently started getting a new error "Memory management" interspersed with the original one. Today it got to the point where it wouldnt boot up into normal windows after a few tries.

Only thing new really is MSI Afterburner which I am using to DOWNclock my gfx card because it is unstable at its stock settings. I am starting to believe this comp I bought is a lemon .

Thank again in advance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2011   #8

Win 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

bump
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD crash right after Windows splash screen





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: BSOD crash right after Windows splash screen
Thread Forum
Solved BSOD on splash screen everytime BSOD Help and Support
Solved Slow startup to splash screen then a BSOD BSOD Help and Support
BSOD after boot splash screen 0x1000007E BSOD Help and Support
Solved BSOD on boot up - can't get past Windows splash screen BSOD Help and Support
BSOD when halfway through the Windows 7 splash screen error 0x0000007B BSOD Help and Support
Restart leads to black screen before windows 7 splash screen BSOD Help and Support
Dragon Age: Origins BSOD after Splash Screen BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33