Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Random(???) BSOD's

15 Nov 2011   #1
Evert

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP 1
 
 
Random(???) BSOD's

Hi all
my system crashes at (what seems to be) random intervals.
Symptoms:
1) BSOD-screen is gone before i can even read the screen and system tries to reboot, but...
2) ... it won't detect any boot drive until i switch it off and back on (i.e. it says "press any key to reboot", but it doesn't find any boot drive if i just press a key).

BSOD info attached.

My OS is Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64.

I posted about the problems before, but since then, BSOD frequency is mounting... not sure about the relation between those 2

Please help,
Thanks!!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Nov 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Evert View Post
Hi all
my system crashes at (what seems to be) random intervals.
Symptoms:
1) BSOD-screen is gone before i can even read the screen and system tries to reboot, but...
2) ... it won't detect any boot drive until i switch it off and back on (i.e. it says "press any key to reboot", but it doesn't find any boot drive if i just press a key).

BSOD info attached.

My OS is Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64.

I posted about the problems before, but since then, BSOD frequency is mounting... not sure about the relation between those 2

Please help,
Thanks!!!
Three issues

1-sptd.sys

Please remove any CD visualization programs such as Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%.


They use a driver, found in your dmp, called sptd.sys, that is notorious for causing BSODs.

Use this SPTD uninstaller DuplexSecure - Downloads DuplexSecure - FAQ

when you're done you can use this Freeware MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM(MagicDisc) in its place.



2-Your Avast. Remove and replace with Microsoft Security Essentials


http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear5.exe

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows


3-Virtual Box. This is the probable cause of the crash. I would remove it at least to test.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Nov 2011   #3
Evert

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP 1
 
 

First of all: thanks for your help!!! This issue is driving me nuts

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
1-sptd.sys

Please remove any CD visualization programs such as Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%.

They use a driver, found in your dmp, called sptd.sys, that is notorious for causing BSODs.

Use this SPTD uninstaller DuplexSecure - Downloads DuplexSecure - FAQ

when you're done you can use this Freeware MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM(MagicDisc) in its place.
Daemon Tools removed
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
I've been using Avast for years (on 32-bit) and never had any instability issue... is this specifically related to x64?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
3-Virtual Box. This is the probable cause of the crash. I would remove it at least to test.
ok, i might do this... unfortunately, this was my solution for the lack of x64-support in Windows Virtual PC (Windows Server 2008 R2 requires x64 and i need to virtualize it... perhaps any suggestion on this issue?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Nov 2011   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Evert View Post
First of all: thanks for your help!!! This issue is driving me nuts

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
1-sptd.sys

Please remove any CD visualization programs such as Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%.

They use a driver, found in your dmp, called sptd.sys, that is notorious for causing BSODs.

Use this SPTD uninstaller DuplexSecure - Downloads DuplexSecure - FAQ

when you're done you can use this Freeware MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM(MagicDisc) in its place.
Daemon Tools removed
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
I've been using Avast for years (on 32-bit) and never had any instability issue... is this specifically related to x64?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
3-Virtual Box. This is the probable cause of the crash. I would remove it at least to test.
ok, i might do this... unfortunately, this was my solution for the lack of x64-support in Windows Virtual PC (Windows Server 2008 R2 requires x64 and i need to virtualize it... perhaps any suggestion on this issue?
As I said there was no definitive proof. Avast is known to cause them and were it me I would remove it just to test it (you can always re-install it)

Re: VBox. Leave it till last and see if the problem resolves itself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2011   #5
Evert

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP 1
 
 

Removed Daemon Tools and replaced Avast by MSE... fingers crossed that this works!
Thanks for your feedback!
Evert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2011   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Evert View Post
Removed Daemon Tools and replaced Avast by MSE... fingers crossed that this works!
Thanks for your feedback!
Evert

Good luck and let us know if you need help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Random(???) BSOD's




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Random BSOD after start and Random stuck on windows logo screen
Heyy.. So yesterday due to a sudden power outage (happens allot here), my windows started behaving erratically. First when the power came on my windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, was stuck on windows logo. i waited for about 20 mins and it was still stuck. The HDD read activity light on my casing was...
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD problems in the past 2 days. Random errors at random times
Three days ago my water cooling failed (got up to 77C while gaming is when I noticed the problem as my CPU should not go over 62C). I decided to install an aftermarket heatsink instead of a new water cooling system ,and add a few more fans just to make sure my whole motherboard was getting plenty...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD at seemingly random times, memory dump blaming random drivers
I've been plagued by odd problems since making this custom build about a month ago, but the latest is the increasing frequency of BSODs. They never occur at load (gaming with high end specs), but often occur at shutdown (forcing a restart before I can then actually shut down). I normally boot into...
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD at random moments on Toshiba L500 laptop; graphics card?
My GF has had a Toshiba L500 laptop for 4 years now. It's a great model and it worked well...till now. It started about two weeks ago, with 1 blue screen every 1-2 days. I haven't reinstalled her windows for about a year, so i figured that was the problem. Four days ago it started blue...
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD with random error code at random moment
Hello Ok now i'm out of solution so i come here hoping that someone could help me I always had bsod hapening randomly but not like the this week I got 2 bsod/day when i'm playing, when i'm staring at my monitor or even when i'm sleeping with random error code like 0x1e, 0x24, 0x3b, 0x4a or 0xa...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD doing random things (Google Chrome, minecraft, random times)
I have finally had it up to here with the BSODs, so I really need help. I ran a windows memtest and it detected no errors. I just finished updating to SP1 with pretty much most updates too. The BSODs I get the most are: Driver IRQL not less or Equal System Service Exception and these two I...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:19.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App