Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: nvlddmkm.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, dxgmms1.sys BSOD. No crashes with games.

17 Nov 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
nvlddmkm.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, dxgmms1.sys BSOD. No crashes with games.

Hey everyone, this is my first time posting so I apologize if I forget to add anything important.

I recently purchased a new desktop with some custom parts about 2 months ago. Since I have gotten it, I have been getting BSOD very randomly. They all are the same message and a Blue Screen crash viewer flags the three drivers above as problems. I will attach all the dumps and the rest of what you all need, as well as some extra stuff. I am running a PNY GeForce GTX 560 Ti, and have heard that the video cards can be a problem with this BSOD. I have tried to clean/reinstall the video drivers completely, and even brought it to bestbuy to get it swapped out with a new identical card. The card is overclocked out of the box but I have not changed any setting on it further.

I have brought the desktop back to Bestbuy from where I bought it and they ran a gauntlet of stress tests and device checks and it came back to me without any problems. Swapping the video card and having them completely wipe the drivers did not help either.

The problem does not occur during gameplay. I have been playing BF3 and Skyrim on the top settings and have never had an error or even a hiccup. The problem seems to happen mainly when I am typing up documents on word or sending out an email. This problem can disappear for days then pop back up randomly, crashing two or three times in a row.

I attached the dumps, some reports, and a zip file of my system specs (Everest report). Thank you so much for any help you can give me, It always seems to crash when I am doing work or being productive, which is causing a lot of problems. Thanks again.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Nov 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lammah View Post
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting so I apologize if I forget to add anything important.

I recently purchased a new desktop with some custom parts about 2 months ago. Since I have gotten it, I have been getting BSOD very randomly. They all are the same message and a Blue Screen crash viewer flags the three drivers above as problems. I will attach all the dumps and the rest of what you all need, as well as some extra stuff. I am running a PNY GeForce GTX 560 Ti, and have heard that the video cards can be a problem with this BSOD. I have tried to clean/reinstall the video drivers completely, and even brought it to bestbuy to get it swapped out with a new identical card. The card is overclocked out of the box but I have not changed any setting on it further.

I have brought the desktop back to Bestbuy from where I bought it and they ran a gauntlet of stress tests and device checks and it came back to me without any problems. Swapping the video card and having them completely wipe the drivers did not help either.

The problem does not occur during gameplay. I have been playing BF3 and Skyrim on the top settings and have never had an error or even a hiccup. The problem seems to happen mainly when I am typing up documents on word or sending out an email. This problem can disappear for days then pop back up randomly, crashing two or three times in a row.

I attached the dumps, some reports, and a zip file of my system specs (Everest report). Thank you so much for any help you can give me, It always seems to crash when I am doing work or being productive, which is causing a lot of problems. Thanks again.

Virtually all of these were the same

"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.

If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.

Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps Let us know if you need help STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR troubleshooting
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Thank you so much. I will try that and see if there are any problems in the next few days. But wouldn't I have the problem more often when I am playing a game in that case, when the graphic card would be the hottest? I am getting them randomly and it is never around the time I am playing games.

I will keep an eye on it regardless. But also, the overclocking wouldnt be a problem, would it? And if so, is there a way I can step down some of the overclock? A recommended program perhaps?


EDIT: I also have a corsair water cooler in my desktop, and my temperatures usually stay relatively low.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Nov 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Hey again. So I opened my case up and let it air out while I played a bit of skyrim. It managed to top about 74 Degrees C while I was playing. Is that too hot for a GPU? Could I increase my fan speed or are my fans not running fast enough? My biggest problem is that it never BSOD when I am playing a game, so even though It hit 74C for a while it didn't BSOD. Any thoughts?

I attached a GPU Sensor Log as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Hey so I just got another bluescreen. I was on my desktop looking at GPU-Z and logging the data and it froze and BSODed. Here is the log again. Please help me. It was at 90F when it BSOD so overheating is not the problem. It crashed at 7:59.59 AM so the log should show it cutting out a few seconds before that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

So I got NTune and tried to underclock my GPU by a little and I am getting another bluescreen error, most likely the other one has not gone away. here is the file.

Does anyone have an idea? This has gotten so bad..

Edit. Crash dump below
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

forgot to add..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2011   #8

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lammah View Post
So I got NTune and tried to underclock my GPU by a little and I am getting another bluescreen error, most likely the other one has not gone away. here is the file.

Does anyone have an idea? This has gotten so bad..

Edit. Crash dump below
You should start by reverting EVERYTHING back to default.

These were Related to nvoclk64.sys NVidia System Utility Driver. I would re-install it using the newest version available. Yours is from 2007


I do notice Symantec which is a frequent cause of BSOD's. I would remove and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials at least to test.


http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_...080710133834EN

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2011   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lammah View Post
So I got NTune and tried to underclock my GPU by a little and I am getting another bluescreen error, most likely the other one has not gone away. here is the file.

Does anyone have an idea? This has gotten so bad..

Edit. Crash dump below
You should start by reverting EVERYTHING back to default.

These were Related to nvoclk64.sys NVidia System Utility Driver. I would re-install it using the newest version available. Yours is from 2007


I do notice Symantec which is a frequent cause of BSOD's. I would remove and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials at least to test.


http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_...080710133834EN

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

Thank you so much for all the help zigzag. I will give it a try and see what happens. Ill reinstall it and see if it fixes it. Would I be on the Nvidia site? In a driver update or would it be seperate?


EDIT: I Switched my antivirus and I uninstalled Ntune, since I heard that can be a problem. So that fixes the nvoclk64.sys bluescreen I am guessing. The other one has popped up again today, and I still cannot figure out what it is from. I attempted to turn off TDR in the registry by following some simple instructions but it turns itself back on each restart, so that will not be a good fix....any ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2011   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lammah View Post
bump
I didnt see a question in your previous post. Was there one?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 nvlddmkm.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, dxgmms1.sys BSOD. No crashes with games.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: nvlddmkm.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, dxgmms1.sys BSOD. No crashes with games.
Thread Forum
Solved BSOD - Windows 7 x64 nvlddmkm.sys + dxgkrnl.sys + dxgmms1.sys BSOD Help and Support
Random BSODs: ntoskrnl, dxgkrnl, dxgmms1, nvlddmkm, BCCode 116 BSOD Help and Support
Constant 0x00000116 nvlddmkm.sys + dxgkrnl.sys + dxgmms1.sys BSOD BSOD Help and Support
BSOD - nvlddmkm.sys + dxgkrnl.sys + dxgmms1.sys BSOD Help and Support
BSOD - 7 x64 nvlddmkm.sys + dxgkrnl.sys + dxgmms1.sys BSOD Help and Support
BSOD BF3, error 1053, 0x116, dxgkrnl.sys, dxgmms1.sys, nvlddmkm.sys. BSOD Help and Support
BSOD dxgmms1.sys/nvlddmkm.sys/dxgkrnl.sys BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33