I am having a really annoying problem with my computer. My specs are:
- Intel core 2 duo 3.0 GHz CPU
- 3 GB DDR2 RAM
- Gigabyte EP31-DS3L motherboard (no onboard graphics)
- Windows 7 Ultimate – 64 bit
- ATI Radeon HD 4650 graphics card - 1 GB (using HDMI port)
When I start the computer the POST and windows 7 “Starting Windows” screens come up as normal. However when that’s finished instead of displaying the welcome screen I get a black screen, no cursor, no buttons, no text and the keyboard can’t be used for anything.
If I boot into safe mode and then restart and boot normally it works as if there was no problem. If I shut the computer down and turn it back on – the black screen is back. I’ve noticed that when I start the computer the POST ‘beep’ takes longer to happen than usual. Occassionally it boots normally the first time but not often. I’ve been searching the internet for a solution and anything I’ve tried so far hasn’t worked.
Here’s what I’ve tried:
- Uninstalling and reinstalling updated graphics drivers
- Swapping from HDMI to VGA
- Running start up repair
- Repaired MBR
- Repaired boot sector
- Used system restore to known working date
- Have all recent windows updates
- Virus scans (Trend micro, super-anti-spyware, TDSS killer)
- Dual boot with same OS and drivers
- Ran memtest86+ for 9 hours
If anyone has any suggestions, that would be very much appreciated.