Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: frequent BSOD mostly ntkrpamp.exe

26 Nov 2011   #1
rtaylor318

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 
frequent BSOD mostly ntkrpamp.exe

My mother has almost given up with her laptop which has been back to her friendly PC engineer countless times - I thought I'd take a look, but it has quickly become apparent that I'm out of my depth, hoping someone can help.

The PC is an Advent Roma 2001, running Windows Home Premium 32bit
Bought from Dixons about 18months ago
I don't believe the OS has been re-installed, but not certain.

The PC has always had the odd BSOD and this has been tolerated until now when it will BSOD after just a few mins of usage, seemingly random, but almost always within ten minutes, sometimes after just restarting. If the PC is restarted and left alone it will stay running for longer, but will eventually BSOD and restart within an hour or two.

I hope I have followed all the steps in the BSOD reporting instructions.
My limited investigation has shown that it is usually ntkrpamp that causes the exception:
112511-19484-01.txt:Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!KiInsertTimerTable+138 )
112511-19484-02.txt:Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!KiSignalSynchronizationObject+1c )
112511-21184-01.txt:Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!PpmPerfSelectProcessorState+1a1 )
112511-21372-01.txt:Probably caused by : hardware ( mcupdate_GenuineIntel+7538 )
112611-14055-01.txt:Probably caused by : rdyboost.sys ( rdyboost!SmdRBMemoryWatchdogThread+c0 )
112611-14352-01.txt:Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )
112611-14586-01.txt:Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!KiTrap0E+2cf )
112611-23462-01.txt:Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!KiTimerExpiration+138 )

I also see that there are 16 'problem devices' listed in msinfo - all root\legacy - how can I tell what those might be so I can reinstall their drivers?

Finally, I note that the blue-led beside the webcam is always on - which I'm guessing is a hw fault. I've tried to disable the device in case that helped as it isn't ever used - but no improvements.

Also, Kaspersky AV was installed which I removed for the same reason, again without success.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Nov 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rtaylor318 View Post
My mother has almost given up with her laptop which has been back to her friendly PC engineer countless times - I thought I'd take a look, but it has quickly become apparent that I'm out of my depth, hoping someone can help.

The PC is an Advent Roma 2001, running Windows Home Premium 32bit
Bought from Dixons about 18months ago
I don't believe the OS has been re-installed, but not certain.

The PC has always had the odd BSOD and this has been tolerated until now when it will BSOD after just a few mins of usage, seemingly random, but almost always within ten minutes, sometimes after just restarting. If the PC is restarted and left alone it will stay running for longer, but will eventually BSOD and restart within an hour or two.

I hope I have followed all the steps in the BSOD reporting instructions.
My limited investigation has shown that it is usually ntkrpamp that causes the exception:
112511-19484-01.txt:Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!KiInsertTimerTable+138 )
112511-19484-02.txt:Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!KiSignalSynchronizationObject+1c )
112511-21184-01.txt:Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!PpmPerfSelectProcessorState+1a1 )
112511-21372-01.txt:Probably caused by : hardware ( mcupdate_GenuineIntel+7538 )
112611-14055-01.txt:Probably caused by : rdyboost.sys ( rdyboost!SmdRBMemoryWatchdogThread+c0 )
112611-14352-01.txt:Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )
112611-14586-01.txt:Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!KiTrap0E+2cf )
112611-23462-01.txt:Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe ( nt!KiTimerExpiration+138 )

I also see that there are 16 'problem devices' listed in msinfo - all root\legacy - how can I tell what those might be so I can reinstall their drivers?

Finally, I note that the blue-led beside the webcam is always on - which I'm guessing is a hw fault. I've tried to disable the device in case that helped as it isn't ever used - but no improvements.

Also, Kaspersky AV was installed which I removed for the same reason, again without success.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Driver verified and Related to RTL8187Se.sys RTL8187S PCIE NDIS Driverr from Semiconductor Corporation. I would re-install newest version available. Yours is from feb 2009.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2011   #3
rtaylor318

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Thank you zigzag3143 - I will try that out this evening. I'll be very happy if it turns out to be that easy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Nov 2011   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rtaylor318 View Post
Thank you zigzag3143 - I will try that out this evening. I'll be very happy if it turns out to be that easy.
My pleasure let us know if you need help

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2011   #5
rtaylor318

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Hi Ken

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not making much progress here. I have run the runscanner app and I'm pleased to report that it doesn't find anything too scary. I'm not, however, able to find anywhere to download RTL8187Se.sys. Every site that reports that it is available wants to first install their favourite malware on my pc to allow me to download anything - and when i do fight through all that I find it is an Asus installer or not for Windows 7.

Do you know where I can reliably download the drivers? I've tried running the update driver option from Device Manager but that tells me it is already the most recent.

Stuck, hope you can help.

Cheers

Rich.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2011   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rtaylor318 View Post
Hi Ken

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not making much progress here. I have run the runscanner app and I'm pleased to report that it doesn't find anything too scary. I'm not, however, able to find anywhere to download RTL8187Se.sys. Every site that reports that it is available wants to first install their favourite malware on my pc to allow me to download anything - and when i do fight through all that I find it is an Asus installer or not for Windows 7.

Do you know where I can reliably download the drivers? I've tried running the update driver option from Device Manager but that tells me it is already the most recent.

Stuck, hope you can help.

Cheers

Rich.
Rich

You can install the older driver in compatibility mode. It should work

(compat mode= right click the installer>properties>compatibility>choose OS.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 frequent BSOD mostly ntkrpamp.exe




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD IMAGE_NAME: ntkrpamp.exe
Hi Hope this is right way to post the dump, but im not sure why this Dell laptop is BSODing Any ideas? Dell windows 7 pro No idea when it happens but it might be once every week or two. Output from WinDBG
BSOD Help and Support
Persistent BSOD 0x19 BAD POOL HEADER ntkrpamp.exe
Hi-I am getting persistent BSODs 0x19 BAD POOL HEADER ntkrpamp.exe. Before the BSOD, my display freaks out, looking similar to a cracked/defective LCD with lots of noise, then restarts with a "boot error" message that moves on to a good boot after I hit "enter". It is a Toshiba Satellite L300D...
BSOD Help and Support
Frequent BSOD playing SimCity / Frequent applications crashing
Hello, This has all started since installing EA's Origin in order to play SimCity and Battlefield 3, the later crashes with a BSOD Stop 0x0000001 within about 1 minute of starting, SimCity will give me up to an hour before BSOD'ing. It's 50:50 whether it's a BSOD or a 'SimCity has stopped...
BSOD Help and Support
ntkrpamp.exe problem
hi i keep getting blue screens i have used a program called whocrashed and come up with this but unsure what to do thanks computer name: GIZMO-PC windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 windows dir: C:\Windows CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor...
BSOD Help and Support
Frequent crashes (BSOD) on the new PC with BSOD Dump attached
Hi guys, can anyone please help my problem, I had my PC crashing almost everyday, and several times a day. Please find my attached collection of memory dump & PC Health report. Thanks very much! I am on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - x64 - the original installed OS on the system - Ultimate -...
BSOD Help and Support
BOSD caused by "c:\websymbols\ntkrpamp..."?
I'm using Win7 Ultimate 32bit, and it crashed every 1 or 2 days. When the same computer runs Windows 2008 sp1 x64, it was very stable. Here is Windbg result, Thank you for your help!
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App