Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: All sort of BSODs when watching streaming videos

26 Nov 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 
All sort of BSODs when watching streaming videos

Hi,

I recently had lots of bsod. At the beginning, it was only when I was playing Deus Ex so I supposed it was because of the graphic card that was too hot, but it's now happening for no reason. Actually, the last ones I got happened when I was just watching streaming videos. On Vimeo I think, but I don't believe it comes from the website. Is it possible that the graphic card reacts weirdly and makes my computer crash when I'm only using it to read videos on internet ? I'm not even sure this is the reason why it crashed. I watch lots of videos.

It seems that this is all kind of BSODs. Last week, I had two irql_not_less_or_equal involving disk.sys and filesys.dll. Today I had two other BSODs, notably one system service exception involving fltmgr.

In addition to that, my Windows doesn't save the minidumps anymore. The last one I got are from 9/14. I can send those to you if you want to, even though I'm not sure it's really useful since they are kind of outdated.

I have Windows Ultimate x64 SP2, I mounted (is that the correct word ?) the computer myself approximatively one year and a half ago and didn't have any issue for a long time, I believe Windows 7 was the only OS on this computer and I don't recall re-installing it, but I'm not really sure, is there any way to verify this in the system ?

Hope someone can help me, thank you !

My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrSandwich View Post
Hi,

I recently had lots of bsod. At the beginning, it was only when I was playing Deus Ex so I supposed it was because of the graphic card that was too hot, but it's now happening for no reason. Actually, the last ones I got happened when I was just watching streaming videos. On Vimeo I think, but I don't believe it comes from the website. Is it possible that the graphic card reacts weirdly and makes my computer crash when I'm only using it to read videos on internet ? I'm not even sure this is the reason why it crashed. I watch lots of videos.

It seems that this is all kind of BSODs. Last week, I had two irql_not_less_or_equal involving disk.sys and filesys.dll. Today I had two other BSODs, notably one system service exception involving fltmgr.

In addition to that, my Windows doesn't save the minidumps anymore. The last one I got are from 9/14. I can send those to you if you want to, even though I'm not sure it's really useful since they are kind of outdated.

I have Windows Ultimate x64 SP2, I mounted (is that the correct word ?) the computer myself approximatively one year and a half ago and didn't have any issue for a long time, I believe Windows 7 was the only OS on this computer and I don't recall re-installing it, but I'm not really sure, is there any way to verify this in the system ?

Hope someone can help me, thank you !

We do need the actual DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

It is almost impossible to spot trends from a single DMP file so if you have more than one please upload them. If you only have one please wait until the computer crashes again then upload both.

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.



The procedure:
Quote:
* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.
To ensure minidumps are enabled:
Quote:
* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Here are the last five DMP recorded, I will upload new ones when I have the chance. I changed the recovery settings as you said ; the "write an event in the system log" (not sure of the english translation) was already checked though, so I don't understand why the last ones were not recorded.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Nov 2011   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrSandwich View Post
Here are the last five DMP recorded, I will upload new ones when I have the chance. I changed the recovery settings as you said ; the "write an event in the system log" (not sure of the english translation) was already checked though, so I don't understand why the last ones were not recorded.

These crashes were caused by memory corruption. Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.


1-Memtest.
Quote:
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.

If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+



2-Driver verifier

Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Windows 7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Thanks a lot, I'll update this topic as soon as possible : I first need to buy CDs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I just had a blue screen involving ntfs.sys, and still no minidumps... Any suggestion ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2011   #7

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrSandwich View Post
I just had a blue screen involving ntfs.sys, and still no minidumps... Any suggestion ?
Probably not ntfs.sys. Can you normal boot?

If so go into event viewer to check
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I can normal boot, and I have a critical event at the hour of the last bsod).

Here are the details :

Quote:
- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-11-27T19:02:36.491626400Z

EventRecordID 255210

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer MrSandwich-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18


- EventData

BugcheckCode 36
BugcheckParameter1 0x1904fb
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff880058c84a8
BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff880058c7d00
BugcheckParameter4 0xfffff88001236a02
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
I'm not sure I understoodd "Probably not ntfs.sys", and I'm not sure my english was correct either. I always note the "type" of blue screen (bad pool header, system service exception, irql not less or equal, etc.) and the file name under the technical information. This time the file was ntfs.sys and the "STOP" number was 0x00000024.

Sorry for my english, and thanks again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2011   #9

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrSandwich View Post
I can normal boot, and I have a critical event at the hour of the last bsod).

Here are the details :

Quote:
- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-11-27T19:02:36.491626400Z

EventRecordID 255210

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer MrSandwich-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18


- EventData

BugcheckCode 36
BugcheckParameter1 0x1904fb
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff880058c84a8
BugcheckParameter3 0xfffff880058c7d00
BugcheckParameter4 0xfffff88001236a02
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
I'm not sure I understoodd "Probably not ntfs.sys", and I'm not sure my english was correct either. I always note the "type" of blue screen (bad pool header, system service exception, irql not less or equal, etc.) and the file name under the technical information. This time the file was ntfs.sys and the "STOP" number was 0x00000024.

Sorry for my english, and thanks again
Event 41 is merely saying the computer was not shut down cleanly. Thats it.

Usually if ntfs.sys (a critical OS file) was the cause it would not even boot.


BC 24 can be caused by


One possible cause of this bug check is disk corruption. Corruption in the NTFS file system or bad blocks (sectors) on the hard disk can induce this error. Corrupted SCSI and IDE drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and write to disk, thus causing the error.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 All sort of BSODs when watching streaming videos





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: All sort of BSODs when watching streaming videos
Thread Forum
Solved Watching U.S. streaming video when not in the U.S. Browsers & Mail
Solved BSODs when watching streaming full screen videos and closing Civ5 BSOD Help and Support
BSOD watching netflix streaming and other times BSOD Help and Support
Solved BSOD watching online videos/audio streaming. BSOD Help and Support
Random BSODs, While Idle/Gaming/Watching Videos BSOD Help and Support
Random BSODs whilst gaming and watching videos BSOD Help and Support
CPU Usage 100% while watching streaming video Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33