Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Random BSOD's. 3 last week


12 Dec 2011   #1

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 
Random BSOD's. 3 last week

So this is my work laptop and I had 3 crashes last week doing various things. The first crash happened when I plugged a blackberry into my laptop. The 2nd happened when I was browsing the web, and the 3rd happened when my manager was remoted into my machine.

I have attached the requested files. My laptop is a Lenovo T410S with 5 gigs of RAM running a 64 bit OS. Let me know if you need any other data.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Dec 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nerv81 View Post
So this is my work laptop and I had 3 crashes last week doing various things. The first crash happened when I plugged a blackberry into my laptop. The 2nd happened when I was browsing the web, and the 3rd happened when my manager was remoted into my machine.

I have attached the requested files. My laptop is a Lenovo T410S with 5 gigs of RAM running a 64 bit OS. Let me know if you need any other data.

No DMP files included in upload please try this method

We do need the DMP file as it contains the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

You may be able to get the DMP files without crashing by booting into safe mode (F8) with networking.

To enable us to assist you with your computer's BSOD symptoms, upload the contents of your "\Windows\Minidump" folder.

The procedure:
Quote:
* Copy the contents of \Windows\Minidump to another (temporary) location somewhere on your machine.
* Zip up the copy.
* Attach the ZIP archive to your post using the "paperclip" (file attachments) button.
*If the files are too large please upload them to a file sharing service like "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:
Quote:
* Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
* Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
* Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
* Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
* Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
* OK your way out.
* Reboot if changes have been made.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2011   #3

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

I'm sorry, I forgot to add the link for the dump file. Our firm has full dumps enabled so the file is 5gigs. I was able to zip it down to 1.5 gigs though....

https://***************/files/1805040944/ngadhia.zip
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Dec 2011   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nerv81 View Post
I'm sorry, I forgot to add the link for the dump file. Our firm has full dumps enabled so the file is 5gigs. I was able to zip it down to 1.5 gigs though....

https://***************/files/1805040944/ngadhia.zip
Downloading. Rapishare free will take over an hour.

In order to read a 4 gig file one needs 8 gigs of available ram. Please set yours to small dmp.

Your crash is related to your Symantec I would remove and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials at least to test.

I do notice Symantec which is a frequent cause of BSOD's. I would remove and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials AT LEAST TO TEST
http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_...080710133834EN

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2011   #5

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Would you be able to tell me what in the dump file is pointing to Symantec. I'm asking because we have multiple machines in our firm which are getting BSOD's for various reasons and were hoping to compare dump files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2011   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nerv81 View Post
Would you be able to tell me what in the dump file is pointing to Symantec. I'm asking because we have multiple machines in our firm which are getting BSOD's for various reasons and were hoping to compare dump files.
I forget the specific driver (ehd.sys?) caused a memory exception. If they machines have small minidumps feel free to upload them. We need abt 3 dmps from each machines.

I can tell you from this crash that though most of the drivers are up to date there are several "odd" drivers that are not from win 7. Maybe 3rd party or proprietary. We can run all the dumps and compare the driver/drivers that are similar on them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2011   #7

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

We don't have any machines with minidumps but I was able to find a machine that blue screened with kernel dumps. The zip file is about 500mb and has 2 dump files. I have more machines like this if you need me to upload any more.

https://***************/files/2783997040/pyoung2.zip
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2011   #8

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

The machine that I sent you the original dump files from froze once yesterday and again today. Nothing would respond but it didn't blue screen either time. Driver verifier was turned on as per Microsoft so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Any thoughts?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2011   #9

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nerv81 View Post
The machine that I sent you the original dump files from froze once yesterday and again today. Nothing would respond but it didn't blue screen either time. Driver verifier was turned on as per Microsoft so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Any thoughts?
500 Mb DMP is partially corrupt. the 4 gig one cant be loaded. If I am to help I need the small dmp files
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2011   #10

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

I was able to get a minidump file today. Hopefully this helps point to something
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Random BSOD's. 3 last week




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Random BSOD's. 3 last week
Thread Forum
Random BSOD - ntoskrnl and systemsys? For over a week now. BSOD Help and Support
Solved Half week old computer random black screens when booting. BSOD Help and Support
Solved random BSOD several times a week BSOD Help and Support
Frequent & Random BSOD this week.. BSOD Help and Support
BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER - Random BSOD Crashes - Twice/Three Times Per Week BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD in every week. BSOD Help and Support
Random Reboot's for past week? BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33