Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD during a game and at startup

15 Dec 2011   #1
XplicitMind

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
BSOD during a game and at startup

This has been happening for a while now. I would get random BSOD screens as I start up and that would be the only time it happens. As well as when I play a game online, it randomly freezes and BSOD happens again. I hope the information that I have provided is enough to correct my problem.

Thanks.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Installed a full retail copy 2 weeks ago
Age is about 1 year
Installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 two weeks ago.



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Dec 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XplicitMind View Post
This has been happening for a while now. I would get random BSOD screens as I start up and that would be the only time it happens. As well as when I play a game online, it randomly freezes and BSOD happens again. I hope the information that I have provided is enough to correct my problem.

Thanks.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Installed a full retail copy 2 weeks ago
Age is about 1 year
Installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 two weeks ago.

Asacpi.sys

The pre 2009 version of this driver is a known bsod cause.
Quote:
Please visit this link: Asus tek computer inc. -support- drivers and download p7p55d le

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P7P55D LE
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P5K-VM

Scroll down to the utilities category, then scroll down to the "atk0110 driver for windowsxp/vista/windows 7 32&64-bit" (it's about the 12th item down).

Download and install it.

Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers to check and make sure that the asacpi.sys file is date stamped from 2009 or 2010 (notbefore).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2011   #3
XplicitMind

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

EDIT: Nevermind I misread it.

I'll see how things goes and let you know if anything else happen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Dec 2011   #4
XplicitMind

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

New BSOD screen. Said Bad pool sector. It was during when I was idling when I had a game screen on with firefox browser on top of it.

Thanks for all the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2011   #5
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XplicitMind View Post
New BSOD screen. Said Bad pool sector. It was during when I was idling when I had a game screen on with firefox browser on top of it.

Thanks for all the help.

These crashes were caused by memory corruption (probably a driver). Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.

If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
In other words STOP!!!



1-Memtest.
Quote:
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.

If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+



2-Driver verifier

Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable


Further Reading
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2011   #6
XplicitMind

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Question: Is it possible to fully wipe my HD and install a fresh OS and maybe it'll go away? Also I tried to run memtest86+ with a USB but apparently it doesn't work even if I go into my BIOS and set it to 1st boot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2011   #7
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XplicitMind View Post
Question: Is it possible to fully wipe my HD and install a fresh OS and maybe it'll go away? Also I tried to run memtest86+ with a USB but apparently it doesn't work even if I go into my BIOS and set it to 1st boot.
If it is software perhaps.

Did you format the USB stick to bootup?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2011   #8
XplicitMind

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Update: I guess that clean install didn't work. The first day it didn't seem like much problems. When I woke up this morning, a restart before coming onto the desktop and a few minutes later, a BSOD happens. Says system service exception. Have the required files attached.

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2011   #9
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XplicitMind View Post
Update: I guess that clean install didn't work. The first day it didn't seem like much problems. When I woke up this morning, a restart before coming onto the desktop and a few minutes later, a BSOD happens. Says system service exception. Have the required files attached.

Thanks.
Inconclusive. If clean install didnt fix it, and you have installed NOTHING ELSE BUT THE OS, it is probably hardware.

Start here:


These crashes were caused by memory corruption (probably a driver). Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.

If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
In other words STOP!!!



1-Memtest.
Quote:
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.

If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+



2-Driver verifier

Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable


Further Reading
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2011   #10
XplicitMind

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I have done the memtest. After 5 passes no errors. Not sure if leaving it any longer would have made a difference.

I'll try to do the driver verifier.

Question: To me it sounds like a harddrive issue. Would replacing the harddrive resolve this issue or it could be anything else? Cause the RAM sticks passed so I dunno what else it could be.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD during a game and at startup




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD at random times, startup or game playing most often
Hello, I've had BSOD happening at random times for the past 9 months. At first I thought it was a cpu problem, and stopped most of my non-necessary startup programs. Recently, this has started happening at random times, usually a few hours after the computer has been on. Tried cleaning my fans and...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD 101 or game crashes durring any high end game
I've been haveing some trouble with either game crashes or full bluescreen (error 101). I WAS useing twin GeForce 9600GTs in SLI, I recently upgraded to a HD 7870. The problem did not change, suggesting that video drivers are not the source... Although altering the drivers with the 9600GTs did...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD during game install, can't get to desktop or startup repair
Yesterday I went to play a Steam game I haven't played in a few months. Since I haven't had Steam on during this time, it decided I needed to update a number of things, which included installing the 2013 version of the game. While it was doing this I got a BSOD, and now I can't get to my desktop or...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD on startup , error 0x000000f4 . startup takes half an hour
so everything was fine when my laptop started to become very slow and i used to get the BSOD very often so i decided to recover the system to the initial state . i did that and everything was fine , then i updated the windows 7 service pack 1 and finished the installation and rebooted my computer ,...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD during game and startup
My Computer Infor: -Windows 7 Ultimate x64 -retail version -The computer was built in 2008, replaced harddrive in 2010, replaced rams 2 weeks ago. -OS installed 2 weeks ago. -Overclocked my computer a bit. Specs: -Motherboard: Asus P5KC -Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws- DDR3-1600...
BSOD Help and Support
Game Explorer and games startup.
So there I was, without internet about to play a game. I install the game, try to run it.... and it never started. I checked, and it seemed a rundll32 was starting at the same time, taking 100% usage of a core. I checked and the rundll32 was the following: C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe...
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App