Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD during BF3, Batman Arkham Asylum, etc.


17 Dec 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 
BSOD during BF3, Batman Arkham Asylum, etc.

Over the past few months I've been getting random blue screens, usually while taxing my computer playing games. I've amassed 50+ minidumps in the course of about 4 months. (See attached.) I've tried overnight runs of MemTest86+, getting 1 or more full passes with no errors. I've tried running Prime95 overnight a few times with no errors.

I've tried reformatting a couple times and still no change. During my previous install I tried the nVidia v.290.36 x64 beta drivers and noticed that the nvlddmkm driver would occasionally stop responding. I tried the "stable" v.285.62 drivers on this install and noticed that I still get the same error occasionally.

Here's the basics for my system. If you need more detailed info, let me know.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 (full retail)
Most of the hardware was ordered Sept. 2010 or later.
Latest OS install is only a couple days old. Focused on getting the absolute latest drivers I could find.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Dec 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by skrooks View Post
Over the past few months I've been getting random blue screens, usually while taxing my computer playing games. I've amassed 50+ minidumps in the course of about 4 months. (See attached.) I've tried overnight runs of MemTest86+, getting 1 or more full passes with no errors. I've tried running Prime95 overnight a few times with no errors. I've tried reformatting a couple times and still no change. So, here's the basics for my system. If you need more detailed info, let me know.

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 (full retail)
Most of the hardware was ordered Sept. 2010 or later.
Latest OS install is only a couple days old. Focused on getting the absolute latest drivers I could find.
Virtually all of these were caused by a memory exception (probably a driver--DIrectX?)
Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.

If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
In other words STOP!!!



1-Memtest.
Quote:
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.

If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+



2-Driver verifier

Quote:
I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Windows 7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable


Further Reading
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ran 3 passes of MemTest86+ and it found some errors. I'll try testing the sticks individually and in different slots as you suggest.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Dec 2011   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by skrooks View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

Ran 3 passes of MemTest86+ and it found some errors. I'll try testing the sticks individually and in different slots as you suggest.

Good Luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I ran Memtest86+ on each stick individually and a good stick in each slot for 2 full passes each time with no errors. Ran the full 16GB again and noticed that I was getting errors on test 5. I ran various memory combos (singles and pairs) while focusing on test 5, but I still only seemed to get failures when running all 4 sticks together.

I tried swapping the memory with another set of 4x4GB (also G.Skill, same model too) and still got errors on test 5. Then I noticed the manufacture dates and PCB color of all the memory sticks. I have 4 4GB sticks manufactured in Sept 2010 (normal green PCB) and 4 4GB sticks manufactured in March 2011 (darker green PCB). I was running a pair of Sept and a pair of March, so I tried swapping to all March. Ran Memtest86+ on test 5 for 10 passes and no errors so far. I'll run some full tests overnight. Maybe G.Skill changed up their ICs between these dates and my motherboard just didn't like the mix.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by skrooks View Post
I ran Memtest86+ on each stick individually and a good stick in each slot for 2 full passes each time with no errors. Ran the full 16GB again and noticed that I was getting errors on test 5. I ran various memory combos (singles and pairs) while focusing on test 5, but I still only seemed to get failures when running all 4 sticks together.

I tried swapping the memory with another set of 4x4GB (also G.Skill, same model too) and still got errors on test 5. Then I noticed the manufacture dates and PCB color of all the memory sticks. I have 4 4GB sticks manufactured in Sept 2010 (normal green PCB) and 4 4GB sticks manufactured in March 2011 (darker green PCB). I was running a pair of Sept and a pair of March, so I tried swapping to all March. Ran Memtest86+ on test 5 for 10 passes and no errors so far. I'll run some full tests overnight. Maybe G.Skill changed up their ICs between these dates and my motherboard just didn't like the mix.
Wn 7 s very finicky about memory. If it isnt matched by the mfr (in one package) it sometimes wont work period.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Well, after swapping out that memory to all be from the same manufacture date, everything seems to be running ok so far. I passed 5 full tests on Memtest86+ and just played a few hours of Battlefield 3 with no issues. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD during BF3, Batman Arkham Asylum, etc.




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33