Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Corrupt partition, can't boot, Startup Repair loop, tried chkdsk

17 Dec 2011   #1

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 
Corrupt partition, can't boot, Startup Repair loop, tried chkdsk

Recently, my computer had a few files that were "corrupted and unreadable" and upon restarting or powering on the PC, it would run chkdsk before booting to Windows. It failed a few times, but once I luckily managed to get it to boot after running Startup Repair for the first time. This was when I only had 2 options (startup repair or run normally, which would fail and keep looping). My PC loaded really slow and I experienced even more corruption like files not reading, games not running, etc. So I restarted and tried Startup repair again. This time it took extremely long (left it over night for about 10 hours, woke up still hanging) so I just manually turned off the PC. Now it keeps doing the same useless looping without really fixing my HDD.

Today I tried booting from the install DVD, using Recovery Environment to run cmd prompt, then "chkdsk /f /r" (based on some online tutorials I found) , but it would take at least 2 hours each time, and mostly says "file record segment is unreadable" around 180000 all the way up to around 300000+. It didn't say whether anything was fixed, it just deleted a lot of random files near the end.

I have a 600 gb WD velociraptor split into 2 partitions. Through the recovery environment, I noticed that:

C: was system reserved at 100 mb,
D: was the first partition (which was blank and said 0 MB for some unknown reason), and
E: was my second partition with some data and an old image, which surprisingly I can browse through.

I tried using cmd to load up the D: drive that Win 7 was installed in, but it says "file is corrupted or unreadable".

Right now, the RE says "unknown location" or something when trying to detect the primary location of the OS, even though through DVD RE cmd it is currently at "D:". When I type "cd D:" it says "file is corrupted or unreadable", and when I click on load drivers, it is blank and has "0 mb".

I even downloaded a Windows 7 update too within the past few days. I heard that this problem would've been prevented in an earlier patch, but apparently not.

I suspect the registries are corrupted which is causing the endless loop at boot, and bad sectors and such but I don't know how to fix this.

Please help, I have lots of important software I have on that drive/partition and would prefer it if I didn't have to re-image it, let alone reformat and do a clean Windows install. Thanks.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Dec 2011   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Try looking through the following: TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2011   #3

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Try looking through the following: TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity
Okay, I've tried the 32-bit, 64-bit and even the DOS version on a USB stick while in the recovery environment cmd. 32-bit says there's some image missing and won't work, the 64-bit gives an application error (the instruction at 0x66e43839 referenced memory at 0xffffffff. The memory could not be read), and the DOS version said it's incompatible.

I don't know how to get that to run since I can't boot even in safe mode right now.

BTW I tried restoring to the image I had on the 2nd partition, it said that it was also corrupted or unreadable. :/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Dec 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Try looking through the following: TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity
Okay, I've tried the 32-bit, 64-bit and even the DOS version on a USB stick while in the recovery environment cmd. 32-bit says there's some image missing and won't work, the 64-bit gives an application error (the instruction at 0x66e43839 referenced memory at 0xffffffff. The memory could not be read), and the DOS version said it's incompatible.

I don't know how to get that to run since I can't boot even in safe mode right now.

BTW I tried restoring to the image I had on the 2nd partition, it said that it was also corrupted or unreadable. :/
Are you able to burn a CD on another computer. It is usually harder to boot from USB with programs like these in my experience.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

You can get Ultimate Boot CD - Download the UBCD and use parted magic's subprogram TestDisk instead.

The downloads are in the mirrors at the bottom of the page.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #6

MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit (Family Pack Lic.) Upgrade
 
 

You may also want to try running something like MS Standalone Sweeper From a "Offline" DVD or flash-drive, which it will make for you very simply. Although, If your not able to access Win 7 Environment, you may need another computer to make the disc.

Mike
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #7

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rubyrubyroo View Post
You may also want to try running something like MS Standalone Sweeper From a "Offline" DVD or flash-drive, which it will make for you very simply. Although, If your not able to access Win 7 Environment, you may need another computer to make the disc.

Mike
I got this error message:

windows defender offline error

windows defender offline cannot be started

error: unable to detect a windows system drive. this could be due to missing drivers, an encrypted drive, or a corrupted windows installation.

error code: 0x8004cc01



Btw I managed to boot up using an Ubuntu DVD to access my HDD to copy and backup my important files, even though Windows can't find that drive or let me open it.

EDIT: I have booted up Parted Magic using UBCD and am following the step-by-step instructions. So far it has not said "corrupted NTFS boot" like it does in the example. Am currently running a deeper analysis on the first partition with windows on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rubyrubyroo View Post
You may also want to try running something like MS Standalone Sweeper From a "Offline" DVD or flash-drive, which it will make for you very simply. Although, If your not able to access Win 7 Environment, you may need another computer to make the disc.

Mike
I got this error message:

windows defender offline error

windows defender offline cannot be started

error: unable to detect a windows system drive. this could be due to missing drivers, an encrypted drive, or a corrupted windows installation.

error code: 0x8004cc01


As for UBCD, I have booted it up but where can I run the TestDisk feature? I can't seem to find it.

Btw I managed to boot up using an Ubuntu DVD to access my HDD to copy and backup my important files, even though Windows can't find that drive or let me open it.
You have to start parted magic. It is built into that program. I'll see if I can make some screenshots of how to get there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #9

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rubyrubyroo View Post
You may also want to try running something like MS Standalone Sweeper From a "Offline" DVD or flash-drive, which it will make for you very simply. Although, If your not able to access Win 7 Environment, you may need another computer to make the disc.

Mike
I got this error message:

windows defender offline error

windows defender offline cannot be started

error: unable to detect a windows system drive. this could be due to missing drivers, an encrypted drive, or a corrupted windows installation.

error code: 0x8004cc01


As for UBCD, I have booted it up but where can I run the TestDisk feature? I can't seem to find it.

Btw I managed to boot up using an Ubuntu DVD to access my HDD to copy and backup my important files, even though Windows can't find that drive or let me open it.
You have to start parted magic. It is built into that program. I'll see if I can make some screenshots of how to get there.
Sorry I just edited my post right before I saw this. I managed to find it and boot it up, and am running deeper analysis. Right now, it says "warning: incorrect number of heads/cylinder 16 (NTFS) != 255 (HD)" and under it says "warning: incorrect number of sectors per track 2 (NTFS) !=63 (HD)". At about 6000/72961.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Sorry I just edited my post right before I saw this. I managed to find it and boot it up, and am running deeper analysis. Right now, it says "warning: incorrect number of heads/cylinder 16 (NTFS) != 255 (HD)" and under it says "warning: incorrect number of sectors per track 2 (NTFS) !=63 (HD)". At about 6000/72961.
Glad you found it. I am going to still include the step by step screenshots in case someone else stumbles across this thread and has similar issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Corrupt partition, can't boot, Startup Repair loop, tried chkdsk





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Corrupt partition, can't boot, Startup Repair loop, tried chkdsk
Thread Forum
Startup Repair Infinite Loop, Cannot Find Hard Disk, Registry Corrupt? Backup and Restore
Windows 7 is in a boot loop and I can't launch startup repair General Discussion
Startup Repair Bug, CHKDSK on boot and occasionally beep at post? General Discussion
S.M.A.R.T. status bad, startup repair loop, can't reach boot menu. Performance & Maintenance
Startup repair boot loop! BSOD Help and Support
sp1 w7 update,boot error ntkrlstaforce.exe corrupt,startup repair fail BSOD Help and Support
Startup Repair loop and Corrupt Registry BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33