Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Corrupt partition, can't boot, Startup Repair loop, tried chkdsk

18 Dec 2011   #11
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Sorry I just edited my post right before I saw this. I managed to find it and boot it up, and am running deeper analysis. Right now, it says "warning: incorrect number of heads/cylinder 16 (NTFS) != 255 (HD)" and under it says "warning: incorrect number of sectors per track 2 (NTFS) !=63 (HD)". At about 6000/72961.
I did some research on your issue. While you are receiving only warnings and they may not be a sign of anything foreboding by themselves, given the issues you have been having, I am inclined to think that your hard drive is on its way out. I would recommend looking into buying a new drive in case you are unable to salvage this one. Keep all your important files backed up onto an external drive in the meantime.

It is also possible that your hard drive was incorrectly setup from the beginning. You may need to go to the Western Digital site and download their utilities to properly configure the hard drive from a boot utility. You can find downloadable utilities at http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...id=612&lang=en for your drive.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Dec 2011   #12
MMKH

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 

Okay, this is the screen that appeared after the test, now what?

Attachment 188923

This is what appeared at the bottom of each disk when highlighted:

1. 104 MB/ 100 miB
2. same thing
3. 309 GB / 288 GiB (1st partition that was corrupted)
4. NTFS found using backup sector!, 600 GB / 558 GiB
5. 3161 KB / 3087 KiB
6. 303 MB / 289 MiB
7. 290 GB / 270 GiB (2nd partition)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Sorry I just edited my post right before I saw this. I managed to find it and boot it up, and am running deeper analysis. Right now, it says "warning: incorrect number of heads/cylinder 16 (NTFS) != 255 (HD)" and under it says "warning: incorrect number of sectors per track 2 (NTFS) !=63 (HD)". At about 6000/72961.
I did some research on your issue. While you are receiving only warnings and they may not be a sign of anything foreboding by themselves, given the issues you have been having, I am inclined to think that your hard drive is on its way out. I would recommend looking into buying a new drive in case you are unable to salvage this one. Keep all your important files backed up onto an external drive in the meantime.

It is also possible that your hard drive was incorrectly setup from the beginning. You may need to go to the Western Digital site and download their utilities to properly configure the hard drive from a boot utility. You can find downloadable utilities at http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...id=612&lang=en for your drive.
The drive is fairly new, I bought it last year. I don't know how it could be incorrectly setup though. I thought it was as easy as using Windows to format it and set up the partition. I ran diskpart during the Windows RE and it said that the drive was "healthy", so I really doubt there is a problem with the drive physically.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #13
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Those are all partitions that have been deleted. To find your Windows installation, type P to list the data for each one. Then recover that partition.

Edit: You may have more than one with Windows data in it, so recommend looking closely at all files for any that you know have been changed or added recently.

Edit2: You will also want to restore the Boot and System Reserved partitions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Dec 2011   #14
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Don't change the layout of the partitions until I give more information. I want to make sure everything is set up right before proceeding.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #15
MMKH

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Those are all partitions that have been deleted. To find your Windows installation, type P to list the data for each one. Then recover that partition.

Edit: You may have more than one with Windows data in it, so recommend looking closely at all files for any that you know have been changed or added recently.

Edit2: You will also want to restore the Boot and System Reserved partitions.
It says that the 3rd and 4th ones have Windows directory in it, both which seem to have the same files. How do I recover them?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #16
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Those are all partitions that have been deleted. To find your Windows installation, type P to list the data for each one. Then recover that partition.

Edit: You may have more than one with Windows data in it, so recommend looking closely at all files for any that you know have been changed or added recently.

Edit2: You will also want to restore the Boot and System Reserved partitions.
It says that the 3rd and 4th ones have Windows directory in it, both which seem to have the same files. How do I recover them?
I am going to have to burn the utility cd, restart my computer, and check the layout of my Windows 7 to answer your question. Usually, Testdisk just finds the layout for you, so I have not encountered your issue, and research has not shown anyone else who has either. Give me a half hour and I will try to have it resolved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #17
MMKH

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Those are all partitions that have been deleted. To find your Windows installation, type P to list the data for each one. Then recover that partition.

Edit: You may have more than one with Windows data in it, so recommend looking closely at all files for any that you know have been changed or added recently.

Edit2: You will also want to restore the Boot and System Reserved partitions.
It says that the 3rd and 4th ones have Windows directory in it, both which seem to have the same files. How do I recover them?
I am going to have to burn the utility cd, restart my computer, and check the layout of my Windows 7 to answer your question. Usually, Testdisk just finds the layout for you, so I have not encountered your issue, and research has not shown anyone else who has either. Give me a half hour and I will try to have it resolved.
Thanks for the help so far, really appreciate it. BTW I have backed up my files to a secondary storage internal drive, but just in case I will try to make room on my external drive for further backups.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #18
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Thanks for the help so far, really appreciate it. BTW I have backed up my files to a secondary storage internal drive, but just in case I will try to make room on my external drive for further backups.
I assume the drive you backed up to is not the same drive as the one giving you issues? If it is a secondary physical drive, it shouldn't be an issue, but it may be a good idea to back up to your external drive as a precautionary measure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #19
MMKH

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Thanks for the help so far, really appreciate it. BTW I have backed up my files to a secondary storage internal drive, but just in case I will try to make room on my external drive for further backups.
I assume the drive you backed up to is not the same drive as the one giving you issues? If it is a secondary physical drive, it shouldn't be an issue, but it may be a good idea to back up to your external drive as a precautionary measure.
No it's not the same drive, I would be pretty worried if it was. I mentioned earlier that I was unable to restore an Image from the 2nd partition so I wouldn't trust putting my backups there in case I really had to re-format the whole drive. :/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #20
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Alright, I looked into the partition table layout of Windows 7, but my desktop does not have a layout similar to yours. I am currently checking my laptop as I know it has a boot and system reserved section similar to your computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Corrupt partition, can't boot, Startup Repair loop, tried chkdsk




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Startup Repair Infinite Loop, Cannot Find Hard Disk, Registry Corrupt?
So I tried using the Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html) and It did not work for me. I tried the Startup Repair and It said "Hard Disk could not be found" On another instance, It said "Registry is...
Backup and Restore
Windows 7 is in a boot loop and I can't launch startup repair
Hello, I have an Acer Aspire V3-551 and recently, it can't boot, I tried a backup & restore using Acer's eRecovery management software. It was able to backup my files but hasn't made it past restoring, now I can't even go in start up repair and it keeps rebooting on windows 7 installation no...
General Discussion
Startup Repair Bug, CHKDSK on boot and occasionally beep at post?
Hi all, I need your advice. Is my harddisk failing? This problems started many months ago. On and off. 1. It started with display driver crash and restart on recovery when visiting youtube website. It lead to bsod if you continue using without restarting. Next it detect hd6950 as 6800...
General Discussion
S.M.A.R.T. status bad, startup repair loop, can't reach boot menu.
NOTE: I don't know if this is the right section to post this in, I'm new on this forum. This PC has been a pain in the ass for a few months already, and it's only getting worse. I think it finally hit the brick right now, but I feel that I should still ask for last minute help. First of all, I'd...
Performance & Maintenance
Startup repair boot loop!
I get into startup repair everytime i boot my pc which is never successful. I am definitely goin to explain it in detail but dis is basic problem nd plz dont mind typing coz m typing fast on iphone which may cause errors in typing!! Yesterday,i used my pc for 7-8 hrs continuosly which is not big...
BSOD Help and Support
Startup Repair loop and Corrupt Registry
Hi Guys. Hoping you guys can help. We have a computer running windows 7 and yesterday it developed a problem where it will keep going to startup repair when it starts up. It will then say there was a problem with startup repair and it will give something along these lines as the error: ...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App