Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Corrupt partition, can't boot, Startup Repair loop, tried chkdsk

18 Dec 2011   #41
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

If the steps in the tutorial did not work, make sure to pay close attention to the Note: in step 8 for more options to fix the issue. I have a feeling you will be unable to carry out those tasks as they require access to the drive, though...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Dec 2011   #42
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Okay I finished the steps, and it says "successfully updated NTFS filesystem bootcode. (under a line that said C: (\\?\Volume...)) and "successfully updated disk bootcode under "device\harddisk". Then "Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes". Going to try to restart and boot now.
That is promising. I'm thinking that the fix for the MBR would not work if run from the drive since your drive was seen as RAW, but running it from the repair disc/Windows 7 disc should give it more flexibility.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #43
MMKH

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
If the steps in the tutorial did not work, make sure to pay close attention to the Note: in step 8 for more options to fix the issue. I have a feeling you will be unable to carry out those tasks as they require access to the drive, though...
I tried both steps, the MBR one and the bootrec one, they didn't work. When trying to boot now, it says under a Windows Boot Manager screen that windows failed to start. Then it says to insert the disc, restart, click repair computer, etc.

I tried rebuilding the BCD and typed all the other lines like bootrec /fixmbr and /fixboot, bootsect /nt60 C: /mbr , etc. I even typed it for E: and it says the drive could not be opened or something.

My friend is suggesting How to fix your Windows MBR with an Ubuntu liveCD*|*ArsGeek
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Dec 2011   #44
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Go ahead and try that. If that does not work, I would recommend trying chkdsk /r on the drive two or three times to see if it fixes anything. If that does not work, you may have to resort to formatting the drive to let the format sort out any bad sectors.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #45
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

If you run that, check three times that you have the right drive that you are working with. You don't want to overwrite the backup drive in your system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #46
MMKH

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Go ahead and try that. If that does not work, I would recommend trying chkdsk /r on the drive two or three times to see if it fixes anything. If that does not work, you may have to resort to formatting the drive to let the format sort out any bad sectors.
"Boot into your Ubuntu LiveCD on the offending machine. Once Ubuntu starts up, go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources and enable (by checking it off) the Universal repository."

I have a newer version of Ubuntu and I found Software Sources under System Settings, but I don't see the Universal option.

Btw now for the drives, it lists 600 GB system reserved, and a 600 gb filesystem (but it is only showing files from the first, windows partition)...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #47
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
"Boot into your Ubuntu LiveCD on the offending machine. Once Ubuntu starts up, go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources and enable (by checking it off) the Universal repository."

I have a newer version of Ubuntu and I found Software Sources under System Settings, but I don't see the Universal option.

Btw now for the drives, it lists 600 GB system reserved, and a 600 gb filesystem (but it is only showing files from the first, windows partition)...
You may have to Google around for where to find your Ubuntu version's universal option.

That is probably because we did not restore the second half; my fault, sorry about that... If you want to, you can go back into testdisk and mark the last partition that was deleted as a primary partition and rewrite the drive.

* [System Reserved]
P (3rd partition)
P (7th partition)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #48
MMKH

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
"Boot into your Ubuntu LiveCD on the offending machine. Once Ubuntu starts up, go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources and enable (by checking it off) the Universal repository."

I have a newer version of Ubuntu and I found Software Sources under System Settings, but I don't see the Universal option.

Btw now for the drives, it lists 600 GB system reserved, and a 600 gb filesystem (but it is only showing files from the first, windows partition)...
You may have to Google around for where to find your Ubuntu version's universal option.

That is probably because we did not restore the second half; my fault, sorry about that... If you want to, you can go back into testdisk and mark the last partition that was deleted as a primary partition and rewrite the drive.

* [System Reserved]
P (3rd partition)
P (7th partition)
I ran a quick search and it seemed to automatically put a * next to the system reserved, and P next to the other two partitions, so I wrote that and restarted. However I am still getting a screen that says Windows failed to start under Windows Boot Manager. I fear this is because I tried running the other MBR and Windows bootrec things that you suggested.

Regarding the Ubuntu fix, I found another link that seems to be more recent and worked with the version I was using, but I can't see if it really worked because I have a different problem now.

[HowTo] Restore MBR Windows using Boot Repair | HowOpenSource

File: \Boot\BCD

Status: 0xc000000f

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2011   #49
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
"Boot into your Ubuntu LiveCD on the offending machine. Once Ubuntu starts up, go to System -> Administration -> Software Sources and enable (by checking it off) the Universal repository."

I have a newer version of Ubuntu and I found Software Sources under System Settings, but I don't see the Universal option.

Btw now for the drives, it lists 600 GB system reserved, and a 600 gb filesystem (but it is only showing files from the first, windows partition)...
You may have to Google around for where to find your Ubuntu version's universal option.

That is probably because we did not restore the second half; my fault, sorry about that... If you want to, you can go back into testdisk and mark the last partition that was deleted as a primary partition and rewrite the drive.

* [System Reserved]
P (3rd partition)
P (7th partition)
I ran a quick search and it seemed to automatically put a * next to the system reserved, and P next to the other two partitions, so I wrote that and restarted. However I am still getting a screen that says Windows failed to start under Windows Boot Manager. I fear this is because I tried running the other MBR and Windows bootrec things that you suggested.

Regarding the Ubuntu fix, I found another link that seems to be more recent and worked with the version I was using, but I can't see if it really worked because I have a different problem now.

[HowTo] Restore MBR Windows using Boot Repair | HowOpenSource

File: \Boot\BCD

Status: 0xc000000f

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

You could try running through the MBR repair I suggested again to see if it fixes the issue. You could also try the other repair options offered through the Windows repair console, i.e. startup repair, chkdsk /r, etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2011   #50
MMKH

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MMKH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post

You may have to Google around for where to find your Ubuntu version's universal option.

That is probably because we did not restore the second half; my fault, sorry about that... If you want to, you can go back into testdisk and mark the last partition that was deleted as a primary partition and rewrite the drive.

* [System Reserved]
P (3rd partition)
P (7th partition)
I ran a quick search and it seemed to automatically put a * next to the system reserved, and P next to the other two partitions, so I wrote that and restarted. However I am still getting a screen that says Windows failed to start under Windows Boot Manager. I fear this is because I tried running the other MBR and Windows bootrec things that you suggested.

Regarding the Ubuntu fix, I found another link that seems to be more recent and worked with the version I was using, but I can't see if it really worked because I have a different problem now.

[HowTo] Restore MBR Windows using Boot Repair | HowOpenSource

File: \Boot\BCD

Status: 0xc000000f

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

You could try running through the MBR repair I suggested again to see if it fixes the issue. You could also try the other repair options offered through the Windows repair console, i.e. startup repair, chkdsk /r, etc.
I don't think that is going to work at this point.

Anyway, I have re-imaged my HDD using the image backup that I copied to my secondary drive. I lost some recent data but most of my programs were already in the image, and everything was backed up already. So now I am able to boot up normally as if my problem didn't happen. Thanks for the help anyways.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Corrupt partition, can't boot, Startup Repair loop, tried chkdsk




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Startup Repair Infinite Loop, Cannot Find Hard Disk, Registry Corrupt?
So I tried using the Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html) and It did not work for me. I tried the Startup Repair and It said "Hard Disk could not be found" On another instance, It said "Registry is...
Backup and Restore
Windows 7 is in a boot loop and I can't launch startup repair
Hello, I have an Acer Aspire V3-551 and recently, it can't boot, I tried a backup & restore using Acer's eRecovery management software. It was able to backup my files but hasn't made it past restoring, now I can't even go in start up repair and it keeps rebooting on windows 7 installation no...
General Discussion
Startup Repair Bug, CHKDSK on boot and occasionally beep at post?
Hi all, I need your advice. Is my harddisk failing? This problems started many months ago. On and off. 1. It started with display driver crash and restart on recovery when visiting youtube website. It lead to bsod if you continue using without restarting. Next it detect hd6950 as 6800...
General Discussion
S.M.A.R.T. status bad, startup repair loop, can't reach boot menu.
NOTE: I don't know if this is the right section to post this in, I'm new on this forum. This PC has been a pain in the ass for a few months already, and it's only getting worse. I think it finally hit the brick right now, but I feel that I should still ask for last minute help. First of all, I'd...
Performance & Maintenance
Startup repair boot loop!
I get into startup repair everytime i boot my pc which is never successful. I am definitely goin to explain it in detail but dis is basic problem nd plz dont mind typing coz m typing fast on iphone which may cause errors in typing!! Yesterday,i used my pc for 7-8 hrs continuosly which is not big...
BSOD Help and Support
Startup Repair loop and Corrupt Registry
Hi Guys. Hoping you guys can help. We have a computer running windows 7 and yesterday it developed a problem where it will keep going to startup repair when it starts up. It will then say there was a problem with startup repair and it will give something along these lines as the error: ...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:59.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App