Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Random BSODs, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, ntoskrnl.exe

29 Dec 2011   #21
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
Okay, I think I've made some progress:

1. System specs are updated - please let me know if anything else would be useful to you.
Can you get information on:
PSU, you can check you computer documentation or open the case and get it off of the PSU.
Case, brand of computer case, this may be helpful for cooling issues.
Cooling, CPU cooler Stock? or ? How many case fans?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
2. Memtest86+: After an earlier BS (approx 1 month ago), I ran this for 49 hours straight with no errors (although as mentioned earlier in the thread, I had all RAM sticks in at once).
This should be a good indication that your RAM is working, with 24GB RAM or any RAM it can pass memtest86+ several times and then fail, it can be an intermittent issue.
We'll try a couple setting changes, if you still get crashes you may need to remove three RAM cards for testing purposes.
Let's try setting adjustments first, will put them below.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
3. CPU-z: CPU, Mainboard, Memory, and SPD snips are attached
Your motherboard site lists FF as the latest BIOS version, yours is FA. No information on the BIOS improvements were listed.
Updating BIOS can be risky, so we will leave it for now but, may have to come back to it later.

Your RAM timings are set to JEDEC#2, the frequency is lower than the RAMs max frequency, which is good because with that much RAM you will usually need to lower the frequency and/or timings to get it to run stable.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
4. RealTemp: I've downloaded the program but from a quick look at the docs it seems that there is a bit of a learning curve to this one. I will read through the documentation and figure out how to create idle, under load, and testing environments and then report the numbers.
Real Temp just monitors the CPU core temps, idle is when you have no apps open and you computer is not doing anything.
You will have to induce the load by running your highest resource usage program, video encoding or game, there are specialized apps to stress your system.
We may need to run one of these to test the CPU and CPU cooling abilities.
Post your idle and load (as mentioned above) temps first.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
5. Voltages from BIOS:

Main Screen:
-VCore: 1.248V
-DRAM Voltage: 1.520V

Advanced Voltage Settings (all set to Standard or Auto):
-CPU VCore: 1.28125V
-QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.175V
-CPU PLL: 1.800V
-PCIE: 1.500V
-QPI PLL: 1.100V
-IOH Core: 1.100V
-ICH I/O: 1.500V
-ICH Core: 1.100V
-DRAM Voltage: 1.500V
-DRAM Termination: 0.750V
-Ch-A Data VRef: 0.750V
-Ch-B Data VRef: 0.750V
-Ch-C Data VRef: 0.750V
-Ch-A Address VRef: 0.750V
-Ch-B Address VRef: 0.750V
-Ch-C Address VRef: 0.750V
These voltages look fairly stock except for the slight bump in QPI/Vtt voltage, this is the CPU integrated memory controller voltage.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
6. Out of date drivers: These are all related to the LogMeIn service. I spoke to their tech rep and was told that I could delete lmimirr.sys (which I did). He also told me that I have the most up to date versions of the other two as they come along with the LogMeIn installation/updates and my LogMeIn version is only 3 weeks old. Any more I should do here?
You may need to disable or un-install for testing purposes, let's adjust RAM settings first.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
7. All MS and MSE updates should be installed.
If a MS update fails to install it will notify you, have you seen any notifications regarding a failed update?
You should get 4-5 MSE updates a week.

Most important is to post your CPU temps, post a screen shot of Real Temp, at an idle and under a load, your most CPU/RAM intensive program.
The max recommended CPU Core temp from Intel is 73C.
If your temps go above this, shut down any programs you have running and check if the CPU is cooling down.

Bump your DRAM voltage to 1.550v and your QPI/Vtt voltage to 1.20v.
Try to re-create your crash scenario, or just use it normally if it has been random.

Let us know the results.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Dec 2011   #22
jonnyb

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Had another BSOD overnight - attached are the files. Ironically, before I started troubleshooting them it would be weeks or months in between incidents and now that I've tried to eliminate them it's become more like once a day...who knows, that may be a good thing.

Dave- going to work through your post now...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2011   #23
jonnyb

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

1. System specs: requested updates have been posted. Not sure how to answer the # of case fans question, hopefully the info on the cooler brand/model will cover that.

2. RAM: Will be updating the voltages as suggested immediately after posting this.

3. BIOS: nothing to do for now.

4. RealTemp: Have attached screenshots for underload and idle. Not sure if my underload scenario is sufficient - essentially it is a program that runs 8 simultaneous threads across the 4 cores 125 times, then pauses for one second, and then starts over. The RT snip for UnderLoad is taken while running that program for 2h40m. The idle shot is after closing that program and letting the computer run nothing for 20mins. Let me know if I should take a different course of action. Also, it's worth noting that I didn't calibrate anything on RealTemp - I simply doubleclicked on RealTemp.exe and let it run.

5. LogMeIn: nothing to do for now.

6. MS Update: I have looked through my Windows Update history and there are about 5 updates marked failed since late 2010. However, in each of those cases, a subsequent attempt at the failed update was successful. This may not be relevant, but I have Windows Update set to automatically download but not install updates - this is to avoid an unwanted restart when away from my machine. However, I normally will manually install them within 24 hours. Let me know if that could be an issue.

7. MSE: Appears to be up to date. I have it set to run a full scan every night at 2am. This did catch and remove about 7 or 8 potential viruses the night after my hotmail was hacked. I'm not sure why it didn't prevent them in the first place or if they were only caught because that was the first time I switched from Quick Scan to Full Scan. Now that I look more closely, it seems most of the container files that MSE identified are on my second hard drive inside Windows Backup folders; perhaps, they were old virus files. (One other note here...when I first went to post here about my BSOD problem, I switched from Avast to MSE. I removed Avast, restarted my machine, then downloaded MSE and installed it. Perhaps, those few minutes with no anti-virus installed were enough to leave me vulnerable...although I did no web surfing during that time other than to download MSE. Regardless, the right thing to do was probably to have the different antivirus programs overlap for a few minutes instead.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Dec 2011   #24
jonnyb

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

I was not able to make the voltage changes exactly as you specified. For QPI/Vtt, the closest I could get was 1.195. For DRAM, the closest I could get was either 1.540 or 1.560 (I went with 1.540). Is this a problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2011   #25
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
1. System specs: requested updates have been posted. Not sure how to answer the # of case fans question, hopefully the info on the cooler brand/model will cover that.
Looks better, that is a good CPU cooler, your idle temps seem a bit high.
What is the ambient (room) temp?

Your max temp of ~65C is also a little high for your CPU cooler.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
2. RAM: Will be updating the voltages as suggested immediately after posting this.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
4. RealTemp: Have attached screenshots for underload and idle. Not sure if my underload scenario is sufficient - essentially it is a program that runs 8 simultaneous threads across the 4 cores 125 times, then pauses for one second, and then starts over. The RT snip for UnderLoad is taken while running that program for 2h40m. The idle shot is after closing that program and letting the computer run nothing for 20mins. Let me know if I should take a different course of action. Also, it's worth noting that I didn't calibrate anything on RealTemp - I simply doubleclicked on RealTemp.exe and let it run.
Just run Real Temp as it is.

D/L Prime95, this is a CPU and RAM stress test.
Be sure to open and monitor RealTemp while running this test.
Your CPUs max temp is 72.9C, stop the test if it reaches this temp.
Intel Core™ i7-950 Processor
It will run your CPU at 100%, depending on the test you choose will also test the RAM. The torture test is the one that will also test the RAM.

CPU - Stress Test with Prime95

Run the torture test for 1-2 hours, this will give you a good indication of the CPU temps.
For a full CPU/RAM stability test, 4-12 hours are suggested, I usually suggest the minimum depending on your usage.

This program will keep running until you stop it.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
6. MS Update: I have looked through my Windows Update history and there are about 5 updates marked failed since late 2010. However, in each of those cases, a subsequent attempt at the failed update was successful. This may not be relevant, but I have Windows Update set to automatically download but not install updates - this is to avoid an unwanted restart when away from my machine. However, I normally will manually install them within 24 hours. Let me know if that could be an issue.
This is not unusual, good that they installed.
D/L but not install is how I have mine set.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
7. MSE: Appears to be up to date. I have it set to run a full scan every night at 2am. This did catch and remove about 7 or 8 potential viruses the night after my hotmail was hacked. I'm not sure why it didn't prevent them in the first place or if they were only caught because that was the first time I switched from Quick Scan to Full Scan. Now that I look more closely, it seems most of the container files that MSE identified are on my second hard drive inside Windows Backup folders; perhaps, they were old virus files. (One other note here...when I first went to post here about my BSOD problem, I switched from Avast to MSE. I removed Avast, restarted my machine, then downloaded MSE and installed it. Perhaps, those few minutes with no anti-virus installed were enough to leave me vulnerable...although I did no web surfing during that time other than to download MSE. Regardless, the right thing to do was probably to have the different antivirus programs overlap for a few minutes instead.)
Changing AV programs is fine, better if you don't go on the web with no AV protection.

D/L and install the free version of Malwarebytes, be sure to update the virus definitions before running.
Malwarebytes will run along with any other AV you have installed and is a supplemental anti-malware program.
Run it at least once a week, depending on you internet activity.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
I was not able to make the voltage changes exactly as you specified. For QPI/Vtt, the closest I could get was 1.195. For DRAM, the closest I could get was either 1.540 or 1.560 (I went with 1.540). Is this a problem?
These are fine for now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2011   #26
jonnyb

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Dave- Thanks for the continued help here. I won't be able to address these items until tomorrow afternoon, but will report back once I have.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2011   #27
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

No problem, I'll be out until then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2011   #28
jonnyb

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

1. Room temp is 21.1 C.

2. I ran the small FFT test with Prime95 and as you can see in the attached snip, the temp on the one core hit 73C in just over a minute. Should I go ahead with the "Blend" test to involve the RAM as well, or does this temp problem need to be addressed first?

3. I just kicked off a full scan with Malwarebytes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2012   #29
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

You need to re-apply the thermal paste on your CPU cooler, those temps are too high.
They should be below 60C.

Make sure it is firmly attached.

Have a look at this: Application on HDT Coolers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2012   #30
jonnyb

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Okay - I have been thinking of replacing my current cooler because of the noise, so I think I'll use this as an opportunity to replace it with something quieter.

The Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme seems to get decent reviews here:

FrostyTech - Best Heat Sinks & PC Cooling Reviews

However, it seems there are definitely some quieter options:

Thermaltake Acoustic Sample and Heatsink Sound Levels - Frio FrostyTech Review

I just don't know if any of those are any good. Any recommendation for a solid but quiet cooler?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Random BSODs, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, ntoskrnl.exe




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD, ntoskrnl.exe, memory_management seemingly at random.
Hi there, Sooo after more than a month without my desktop (truly a nightmarish experience) I finally got all of the parts I needed (or thought I needed, then actually needed) to fix it. So happy was I when it loaded up and I could start updating and reinstalling my old stuff... and then the...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD random, memory_management, ntoskrnl.exe fltmgr.sys
I am receiving random BSOD with two different bug check strings. MEMORY_MANAGEMENT PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA I have updated all of my drivers. I have checked the memory with memcheck both by running it with both sticks installed and one stick installed (both sticks singly). I have checked...
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSODs, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I got a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD while browsing the internet yesterday, then some hours later, while playing a game, I got the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL one. The next day, I got another MEMORY_MANAGEMENT while watching a video. This is a new system, about 1 month old, so I'm pretty worried about...
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSODs PAGE_FAULT_NONPAGED_AREA and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT tonight.
Hi all, been lurking here a while since regedit stuff for memory card readers (Brink?)during the W7 Beta. It seems you guys come top of the pops regarding STOP errors on Google so I'm all registered and hoping to work it out. Now my recently running well computer has started with random...
BSOD Help and Support
Random BSODs ntoskrnl.exe+26ee0 & ntoskrnl.exe+5063dc
I'm working on my parents computer and they are randomly receiving BSODs. They tell me they usually receive them when browsing the internet and running several other programs at once. They are using a Dell Studio XPS 7100 running Windows Home Premium. My guess is that the issue is driver...
BSOD Help and Support
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT random BSODs
Im having lots of trouble with my machine going bsod with the notice "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". Looking around it seems the most likely cause is faulty memory. My memory does fail memtest86. However, using either one of my 2 memory modules alone leads to no bsods. One week ago, trying to solve the...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App