Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Laptop randomly freezes and screen turns black after


10 Jan 2012   #21

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

What antivirus are you running?

This could be virus or antivirus related; event ID: 6008 is an unexpected shutdown event caused by a program or hardware faulting. See Event ID 6008 is unexpectedly logged to the System event log after you shut down and restart your computer for more information (the fix does not apply to Windows 7, but the information is still valuable).

You can also see if Windows 7 has a solution for it through the Microsoft Fix it Solution Center: troubleshooting software issues tool.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jan 2012   #22

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
What antivirus are you running?

This could be virus or antivirus related; event ID: 6008 is an unexpected shutdown event caused by a program or hardware faulting. See Event ID 6008 is unexpectedly logged to the System event log after you shut down and restart your computer for more information (the fix does not apply to Windows 7, but the information is still valuable).

You can also see if Windows 7 has a solution for it through the Microsoft Fix it Solution Center: troubleshooting software issues tool.

I don't think its virus related because once I reformated my laptop, 30 mins later (no programs installed/downloaded) the black screen came up. I'll try that troubleshooting though.

I forgot to mention I don't have an antivirus atm.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2012   #23

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by djpabz23 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
What antivirus are you running?

This could be virus or antivirus related; event ID: 6008 is an unexpected shutdown event caused by a program or hardware faulting. See Event ID 6008 is unexpectedly logged to the System event log after you shut down and restart your computer for more information (the fix does not apply to Windows 7, but the information is still valuable).

You can also see if Windows 7 has a solution for it through the Microsoft Fix it Solution Center: troubleshooting software issues tool.

I don't think its virus related because once I reformated my laptop, 30 mins later (no programs installed/downloaded) the black screen came up. I'll try that troubleshooting though.

I forgot to mention I don't have an antivirus atm.
Sounds like it is hardware related. You can monitor your temperatures with HWiNFO64 Download and you may also want to run some stress tests. STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR troubleshooting links to some good GPU and graphics memory stress tests and is good for determining possible display problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Jan 2012   #24

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

hmmm... I was transfering some stuff from my iPod to my computer and suddendly it turned black. I tested transfering files from a USB Flashdrive to my laptopa and boom! I got the black screen. It always happens when I transfer something from a USB device.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2012   #25

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by djpabz23 View Post
hmmm... I was transfering some stuff from my iPod to my computer and suddendly it turned black. I tested transfering files from a USB Flashdrive to my laptopa and boom! I got the black screen. It always happens when I transfer something from a USB device.
Could be a short in your system due to your USB devices... Have you done a clean install now and are still having the same problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2012   #26

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by djpabz23 View Post
hmmm... I was transfering some stuff from my iPod to my computer and suddendly it turned black. I tested transfering files from a USB Flashdrive to my laptopa and boom! I got the black screen. It always happens when I transfer something from a USB device.
Could be a short in your system due to your USB devices... Have you done a clean install now and are still having the same problem?
by clean install do you mean clean startup?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2012   #27

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by djpabz23 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by djpabz23 View Post
hmmm... I was transfering some stuff from my iPod to my computer and suddendly it turned black. I tested transfering files from a USB Flashdrive to my laptopa and boom! I got the black screen. It always happens when I transfer something from a USB device.
Could be a short in your system due to your USB devices... Have you done a clean install now and are still having the same problem?
by clean install do you mean clean startup?
No, I meant clean install, but I just remembered you had said you did that and were still having the same problems after formatting and installing. Have you tried the following steps previously?

Note: backup any files if you are using a RAID controller of any kind.
1. Go into your BIOS and load default settings to clear the CMOS memory (this will reset your RAID configuration resulting in loss of data, so if you have RAID and want to proceed from step 3, that is fine).
2. Save Settings and exit the BIOS.
3. Shut down and turn off the computer.
4. Unplug the computer from the wall or surge protector (then remove the battery if it is a laptop).
5. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds to clear the software connections between the BIOS and hardware and clear any corruption in the temporary memory. This works by closing the circuit and draining all power from components in the system.
6. (If it is a laptop, plug the battery back into the laptop and then) Plug the computer back into the wall.
7. Turn it on to reinitialize the software connections between the BIOS and hardware, and post back your results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2012   #28

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Was I suppose to get some type of message saying my connection have been reinitialized? Because I did all those steps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2012   #29

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by djpabz23 View Post
Was I suppose to get some type of message saying my connection have been reinitialized? Because I did all those steps.
No, no message shows up. It's just a step for hardware related problems. I have USB issues from time to time on my laptop that get cleared up by following those steps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2012   #30

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by djpabz23 View Post
Was I suppose to get some type of message saying my connection have been reinitialized? Because I did all those steps.
No, no message shows up. It's just a step for hardware related problems. I have USB issues from time to time on my laptop that get cleared up by following those steps.

I'll try to transfer something now, i'll report back if anything happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Laptop randomly freezes and screen turns black after




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Laptop randomly freezes and screen turns black after
Thread Forum
Desktop Wallpaper randomly turns into a Solid Black one General Discussion
My Computer Freezes randomly while hdd Light turns solid red. General Discussion
Laptop screen goes black and everything freezes BSOD Help and Support
Computer freezes and screen turns black BSOD Help and Support
BSOD but screen either freezes or goes black randomly BSOD Help and Support
Screen randomly turns black while playing games! BSOD Help and Support
PC freezes at startup or randomly black screen BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33