Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: black "blank" screen upon boot up

13 Jan 2012   #11
texaswolf

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Go to the download link and download PartedMagic as a boot CD ISO. Then burn the ISO to a disc. Put the CD/DVD into your laptop and see if you can boot into PartedMagic.

Plug in a drive to backup your data to. There is a drive icon that says Mount on the desktop of PartedMagic. Mount your drive you want to get the data off of, then mount the drive you want to copy the data to by right clicking that icon and choosing the drive to mount. You'll have to open each folder/drive to find the right drives and copy the folders you want to the backup drive.

so question becomes, if i already have stuff on my back up external, would it delete it?

still doesnt work out when i do the button thing, so may i ask when i unplug from wall do i leave the power cord connected to it or not? tried both but thought i should still ask.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Jan 2012   #12
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 
Backup Files Using PartedMagic

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by texaswolf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Go to the download link and download PartedMagic as a boot CD ISO. Then burn the ISO to a disc. Put the CD/DVD into your laptop and see if you can boot into PartedMagic.

Plug in a drive to backup your data to. There is a drive icon that says Mount on the desktop of PartedMagic. Mount your drive you want to get the data off of, then mount the drive you want to copy the data to by right clicking that icon and choosing the drive to mount. You'll have to open each folder/drive to find the right drives and copy the folders you want to the backup drive.

so question becomes, if i already have stuff on my back up external, would it delete it?

still doesnt work out when i do the button thing, so may i ask when i unplug from wall do i leave the power cord connected to it or not? tried both but thought i should still ask.
As long as no power is being supplied to the machine, there should be no problems. And if you already have backup data on your external drive, it is safe as long as you are careful during the backup process. I'll give an example of how to backup the data for you to follow so you can see a set of careful instructions.
  1. Plug in your backup external drive
  2. Turn on the computer with the PartedMagic boot CD in the machine
  3. Start PartedMagic (See Image 1)
  4. On the desktop, single click the icon with the words Mount Devices below it (See Image 2)
  5. After you click, you see a similar layout to that in Image 3; make note of media/sda1 and media/sdb1 and which is your windows disk and which is the external disk. Yours may not be sda1 and sdb1 but sda1 and sdc1 or a different combination, so just make note of what letter each is (a,b,c,etc.)
  6. After clicking mount for your two drives, it will look similar to Image 4. Your drives are now mounted. My Windows drive is sda1 and my external is sdb1. I will now open those folders and copy files across.
  7. Copying will proceed with images 5-12 and steps are:
    • Close out the Mount - gtk window
    • Image 5. Open the folder containing your drive you want to copy from (in my case, sda1)
    • Image 6. Right click the folder you want to copy (I chose Documents and Settings as this is my Windows XP Users folder)
    • Image 6. Click Copy
    • Image 7. Click the green up arrow to proceed back to the parent folder to open the external drive
    • Image 8. Open the folder containing your external drive you want to copy to (in my case, sdb1)
    • Image 9. Right click in an empty (white) area on the external drive
    • Image 10. Click Paste.
    • Image 11. You should see it prepare to copy.
    • Image 12. And then it will copy the files over.
Image 1.
black "blank" screen upon boot up-partedmagic1.jpg
Image 2.
black "blank" screen upon boot up-partedmagic2.jpg
Image 3.
black "blank" screen upon boot up-partedmagic3.jpg
Image 4.
black "blank" screen upon boot up-partedmagic4.jpg
Image 5.
black "blank" screen upon boot up-partedmagic5.jpg
Image 6.
black "blank" screen upon boot up-partedmagic6.jpg
Image 7.
black "blank" screen upon boot up-partedmagic7.jpg
Image 8.
black "blank" screen upon boot up-partedmagic8.jpg
Image 9.
black "blank" screen upon boot up-partedmagic9.jpg
Image 10.
black "blank" screen upon boot up-partedmagic10.jpg
Image 11.
black "blank" screen upon boot up-partedmagic11.jpg
Image 12.
black "blank" screen upon boot up-partedmagic12.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2012   #13
texaswolf

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

ok, thank you for the walkthrough it helped, but you are going to love this news.

i dont know how but as i was working on pulling my info, what ever is on my comp activated again, and started apparently "eating" info, my entire music collection was gone by the time i moved from my photos to my music, got most of my videos before it ate 2 folders, and now i cant even get the toshiba boot up... i think the hard drive is completely gone... so im guessing new hard drive but how do i get windows 7 back on my comp?

to give an idea of how fast that thing ate, i got all of 20Gb off of my comp, and i had about 80Gb in total
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jan 2012   #14
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by texaswolf View Post
ok, thank you for the walkthrough it helped, but you are going to love this news.

i dont know how but as i was working on pulling my info, what ever is on my comp activated again, and started apparently "eating" info, my entire music collection was gone by the time i moved from my photos to my music, got most of my videos before it ate 2 folders, and now i cant even get the toshiba boot up... i think the hard drive is completely gone... so im guessing new hard drive but how do i get windows 7 back on my comp?

to give an idea of how fast that thing ate, i got all of 20Gb off of my comp, and i had about 80Gb in total
Ouch. You think it was a virus or you just have a bad drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2012   #15
texaswolf

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post

Ouch. You think it was a virus or you just have a bad drive?

the hard drive is showing as passing by the partedmagic, i was able to boot it up again as far as from cd checking the files seeing if it was hiding them or something

either way, do you think its possible to whipe the hard drive and use it again, or just have to get a new one?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jan 2012   #16
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by texaswolf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post

Ouch. You think it was a virus or you just have a bad drive?

the hard drive is showing as passing by the partedmagic, i was able to boot it up again as far as from cd checking the files seeing if it was hiding them or something

either way, do you think its possible to whipe the hard drive and use it again, or just have to get a new one?
It depends on the damage. It is worth trying to wipe it. You can Clean Install Windows 7 using a Windows 7 DVD that has the same version that the laptop came with and use your key on the sticker attached to your computer. To get an official DVD ISO to burn to a DVD, just search Google for: windows 7 sp1 integrated iso offical direct download link
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2012   #17
writhziden

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Did clean install recover your drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 black "blank" screen upon boot up




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Black screen with "loading cursor" and no login screen on Boot.
Hello everyone, First of all, I will divide my statement by sections so it would be easier to read. Section 1: The problem - description of it. Section 2: How I manage the problem. Section 3: Things and methods that I have tried - all unsuccessfully. Section 4: My own findings to help with...
General Discussion
Boot: "Starting Windows" then stops with black screen & active cursor
Windows 7, after "Starting Windows" stops with a black screen and mouse cursor. 1. I turned on my desktop PC after more than 3 weeks of non use, it was in its package/box. It booted nicely to the desktop but suddenly showed a BSOD and turned off. I turned it on again and it showed a message...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD turned into "Black screen of death" -cannot boot into BIOS.
Dear everybody, I have a Asus G73JW laptop with 2 x 500gb HDD, both has two partitions; Win7 ultimate; 64 bit; Nvidia geforce GTX460M, 1,5gb; CPU: :Intel Core i7 - 740QM, 1,73 GHz; Ram = 8GB; EAX advanced HD 5.0; THX trustudio Security: AVG antivirus with windows firewall on at all...
BSOD Help and Support
New Computer - "Black Screen" - Fan "Ramps Up"
Hello All, I just received a brand new computer a few days ago from CyberPower PC. I've attached the specs below. That being said, I noticed a problem when I was "in a game" and within an hr, the fan revved up, and the computer shut down to black screen (monitor read "no input"). Thinking...
General Discussion
Lenovo Ideapad Y560 "black screen in boot up after windows 7 logo"
I need help and suggestions on what to do with this black screen crisis. Mine is a little different that others. so sorry if this is a repeated thread. ive looked everywhere, and no one has the issue when they have dual boot. laptop description: I have dual boot on my laptop with windows 7...
General Discussion
Upon boot I get a flashing Black screen which says "MBR 1: _"
Hey guys, I think I have messed this up quite a bit! But here goes from the beginning! I had linux and windows on dual boot with grub as the bootloader. I then as a complete pillock decided to get rid of ubuntu by formatting/deleting that partition from within windows :cry: . Now next time I...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App