Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD playing Battlefield 3, error 0x00000124


24 Jan 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
BSOD playing Battlefield 3, error 0x00000124

Okay, everytime I play Battlefield 3 I get in max. 30 minutes a BSOD. And it ONLY happens with this game, everything else works perfectly fine without crashes or whatsoever.

This has been going on since half December, which is about a week after I updated my drivers. It first happened once or twice, where I though that it was just coincidence, but now it happens every time I try to play Battlefield 3.

Since it happened a bit after updating the drivers, I thought it was that. Today most of the drivers needed to be updated again, including the infamous Realtek sound drivers that are supposed to give problems with Battlefield 3, so I updated them hoping it would solve the problem. No dice, I still get a BSOD when playing Battlefield 3.

Dump files are in the attachment. I didn't include the perfmon HTML file since it refuses to generate a report, even when the Performance Logs & Alert service is set on manual.

System specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz
MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/05/10 19:13:52 Ver: 08.00.10
RAM: 2x 4GB from Kingston
HDD: 2x WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (1TB size)
Sound card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio, Realtek High Definition Audio
GPU card: MSI 570GTX Twin Frozr III Power Edition
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits Retail

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jan 2012   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by waveon View Post
Okay, everytime I play Battlefield 3 I get in max. 30 minutes a BSOD. And it ONLY happens with this game, everything else works perfectly fine without crashes or whatsoever.

This has been going on since half December, which is about a week after I updated my drivers. It first happened once or twice, where I though that it was just coincidence, but now it happens every time I try to play Battlefield 3.

Since it happened a bit after updating the drivers, I thought it was that. Today most of the drivers needed to be updated again, including the infamous Realtek sound drivers that are supposed to give problems with Battlefield 3, so I updated them hoping it would solve the problem. No dice, I still get a BSOD when playing Battlefield 3.

Dump files are in the attachment. I didn't include the perfmon HTML file since it refuses to generate a report, even when the Performance Logs & Alert service is set on manual.

System specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz
MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/05/10 19:13:52 Ver: 08.00.10
RAM: 2x 4GB from Kingston
HDD: 2x WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (1TB size)
Sound card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio, Realtek High Definition Audio
GPU card: MSI 570GTX Twin Frozr III Power Edition
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits Retail

Two errors both hardware related.


Your .dmp file shows a stop error of 0x124 which is a general hardware error .
Quote:
A "stop 0x124" is fundamentally different to many other types of bluescreens because it stems from a hardware complaint.

Stop 0x124 minidumps contain very little practical information, and it is therefore necessary to approach the problem as a case of hardware in an unknown state of distress
Some generic advice.

If you are overclocking STOP. Return to the default settings at least for now.
If you are running a RAID update its driver.



You can read more on this error and what to try here...
Stop 0x124 - what it means and what to try


STOP 0x101: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT troubleshtg
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

0x124:
I was aware of this stop error since I see this every time I get a BSOD. I also was aware of the thread with the info. I can't do anything with this because:
- I do not overclock anything, mainly because to prevent these kind of problems, plus my components are good enough at its default settings.
- I do not use RAID. How useful it might be, for me backing up the important files is enough for me.
- I've done every step in the thread except the clean Windows installation, and nothing works.

So yeah, the generic advice doesn't work for me this time...

0x101:
When did this stop error occur? I don't remember seeing this one.

Anyway, the main issues from the thread:
1. Bios bug. It's possible, but I've never touched it except at the very beginning when it was build together. So unless being outdated or a wrong setting causes this, I personally think this isn't the cause of the stop error.

2. Drivers. It's true that the BSOD started appearing after updating the drivers a month ago, but since I've updated it again today, I doubt this is the cause. Unless something went wrong again.

3. Hardware. I did the Furmark GPU stress test first. Although obviously slow and laggy, it went perfectly fine.
I noticed that it capped at a temperature of 60C. Now obviously this is good, at this temperature the GPU isn't blowing warm air out of the case.
However, when I play Battlefield 3, and only during this game (at least as far as I'm aware of), it DOES blow warm air out of the case. So the temperature reaches far higher than in Furmark. Perhaps I've set the graphic settings in the game too high, maybe this will help to an extend...

However, before I try that, I tried the GIMPS stress test. This one was a disaster: a few seconds after starting the stress test, I got a BSOD with a 0x101 error.
Obviously I don't know why or where it crashed, so any idea why I got an BSOD so soon after starting GIMPS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Jan 2012   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by waveon View Post
0x124:
I was aware of this stop error since I see this every time I get a BSOD. I also was aware of the thread with the info. I can't do anything with this because:
- I do not overclock anything, mainly because to prevent these kind of problems, plus my components are good enough at its default settings.
- I do not use RAID. How useful it might be, for me backing up the important files is enough for me.
- I've done every step in the thread except the clean Windows installation, and nothing works.

So yeah, the generic advice doesn't work for me this time...

0x101:
When did this stop error occur? I don't remember seeing this one.

Anyway, the main issues from the thread:
1. Bios bug. It's possible, but I've never touched it except at the very beginning when it was build together. So unless being outdated or a wrong setting causes this, I personally think this isn't the cause of the stop error.

2. Drivers. It's true that the BSOD started appearing after updating the drivers a month ago, but since I've updated it again today, I doubt this is the cause. Unless something went wrong again.

3. Hardware. I did the Furmark GPU stress test first. Although obviously slow and laggy, it went perfectly fine.
I noticed that it capped at a temperature of 60C. Now obviously this is good, at this temperature the GPU isn't blowing warm air out of the case.
However, when I play Battlefield 3, and only during this game (at least as far as I'm aware of), it DOES blow warm air out of the case. So the temperature reaches far higher than in Furmark. Perhaps I've set the graphic settings in the game too high, maybe this will help to an extend...

However, before I try that, I tried the GIMPS stress test. This one was a disaster: a few seconds after starting the stress test, I got a BSOD with a 0x101 error.
Obviously I don't know why or where it crashed, so any idea why I got an BSOD so soon after starting GIMPS?

Can you upload that DMP file for exam?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2012   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

My apologies, should have included that. New dump collection is in the attachment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2012   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by waveon View Post
My apologies, should have included that. New dump collection is in the attachment.
\\


Most recent one was a 124 and appears to have been caused by the video driver. I am doubtful that it is the problem.

Other than that it is inconclusive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Considering that Furmark (even though not completely driver related), other games or whatsoever works fine, I doubt it's the video card either.

But a 124 stop error? That's really odd, I'm 100% positive it showed a 0x101 stop error at the GIMPS crash. Did you use the 012412-22744-01.dmp file, which is the recent one? Perhaps you accidentally used the 012412-22042-01.dmp one.
I know, you most likely did use the most recent one, but you never know...

Other than that, what now? I could wait for more BSOD's and send the dump files, but my guess would be that it's pointless since most go to a 0x124 stop error.
I'll also test Battlefield 3 with low graphic settings because of the noticeable temperature difference. Who knows, perhaps that would make the difference...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2012   #8

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by waveon View Post
Considering that Furmark (even though not completely driver related), other games or whatsoever works fine, I doubt it's the video card either.

But a 124 stop error? That's really odd, I'm 100% positive it showed a 0x101 stop error at the GIMPS crash. Did you use the 012412-22744-01.dmp file, which is the recent one? Perhaps you accidentally used the 012412-22042-01.dmp one.
I know, you most likely did use the most recent one, but you never know...

Other than that, what now? I could wait for more BSOD's and send the dump files, but my guess would be that it's pointless since most go to a 0x124 stop error.
I'll also test Battlefield 3 with low graphic settings because of the noticeable temperature difference. Who knows, perhaps that would make the difference...
It doesnt really matter since you have two from the same day one with a 124 and one with a 101.

Both hardware both at a similar memory address.

I will be happy to read more but suspect you want to get back to gaming.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Well I obviously want to get back to gaming, but honestly, I prefer to have this problem solved before it turns out to be something serious.
And even then, it only happens with Battlefield 3 so far, there are plenty of other games if I really can't play this one for some reason.

Anyway, you say that both stop errors happened at the video driver? That's kind of odd, wouldn't that mean I could get a BSOD at other games or applications too? Does it say more as for why it crashed there? Perhaps it's worth a try to reinstall the nvidia drivers? Unless you meant other video drivers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by waveon View Post
Well I obviously want to get back to gaming, but honestly, I prefer to have this problem solved before it turns out to be something serious.
And even then, it only happens with Battlefield 3 so far, there are plenty of other games if I really can't play this one for some reason.

Anyway, you say that both stop errors happened at the video driver? That's kind of odd, wouldn't that mean I could get a BSOD at other games or applications too? Does it say more as for why it crashed there? Perhaps it's worth a try to reinstall the nvidia drivers? Unless you meant other video drivers.
I didnt say both "happened" "at" the video driver. I said they were both hardware related. 124 is a general hardware complaint, 101 is cpu specific.

They all seem to happen about an hour after booting (Uptime).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD playing Battlefield 3, error 0x00000124




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: BSOD playing Battlefield 3, error 0x00000124
Thread Forum
BSOD during Battlefield 3 & now randomly - error 0x00000124 BSOD Help and Support
BSOD playing Battlefield 3, error 0x00000124 BSOD Help and Support
BSOD While Playing Battlefield 3 Error BSOD Help and Support
battlefield bad company 2 bsod error 0x00000124 BSOD Help and Support
BSOD playing Battlefield 3 Error 1e BSOD Help and Support
BSOD BATTLEFIELD BC2, error 0x00000124 or 0x00000101 BSOD Help and Support
Always BSOD's in Battlefield:BC2, error 0x00000124 BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33