Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: random BSOD

20 Feb 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 
random BSOD

Is Windows 7 . . .
- x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
- the original installed OS on the system? Windows 7 Home Prernium
- an OEM or full retail version? Full Retail

- What is the age of system (hardware)? 7 Mar, 10
- What is the age of OS installation (have you re-installed the OS?) 1 or 2 months ago

My PC like to BSOD about 5 minutes after a cold start up or a long time idle and when i play some games
APB
Battlefield 3
Minecraft (lol)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Edit: What happens is my Video freezes or a black screen but the sound is still playing and if I am on skype I can still hear my friends and I can talk to them for a minute then the BSOD comes up and restarts my pc

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Feb 2012   #2
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

1. Asacpi.sys

The pre 2009 version of this driver is a known BSOD cause. Yours is dated 2005.
Quote:
Please visit this link: Asus tek computer inc. -support- drivers and download p7p55d le

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P7P55D LE
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P5K-VM

Scroll down to the utilities category, then scroll down to the "atk0110 driver for windowsxp/vista/windows 7 32&64-bit" (it's about the 12th item down).

Download and install it.

Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers to check and make sure that the asacpi.sys file is date stamped from 2009 or 2010 (notbefore).

2. Your crash indicates a stop 0x116 BSOD
Quote:

"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.

If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.

Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps
STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR troubleshooting
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2012   #3

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

DO what JMH suggests first, and in addition please update these drivers.


Also what antivirus/malware app are you using and what version?

Code:
ASACPI.sys    3/27/2005 9:30:36 PM    fffff880`046d9000    fffff880`046e1000    0x00008000    0x42476c4c                            
nvm62x64.sys    10/17/2008 4:01:06 PM    fffff880`04675000    fffff880`046d8d80    0x00063d80    0x48f8fd12                            
hamachi.sys    2/19/2009 5:36:41 AM    fffff880`047bc000    fffff880`047c7000    0x0000b000    0x499d3639
How To Find Drivers:
Quote:
- search Google for the name of the driver
- compare the Google results with what's installed on your system to figure out which device/program it belongs to
- visit the web site of the manufacturer of the hardware/program to get the latest drivers (DON'T use Windows Update or the Update driver function of Device Manager).
- if there are difficulties in locating them, post back with questions and someone will try and help you locate the appropriate program.
- - The most common drivers are listed on this page: Driver Reference Driver Reference
- - Driver manufacturer links are on this page: Drivers and Downloads
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Feb 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Downloaded and installed the ATK0110 driver, date stamped is now 20/11/2010, don't know what to do about nvm62x64.sys because my Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 48xx Series

and the antivirus/malware software is
Comodo Internet Security
Comodo Antivirus
Comodo Firewall and its up to date
Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 and its up to date
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2012   #5

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solundor View Post
Downloaded and installed the ATK0110 driver, date stamped is now 20/11/2010, don't know what to do about nvm62x64.sys because my Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 48xx Series

and the antivirus/malware software is
Comodo Internet Security
Comodo Antivirus
Comodo Firewall and its up to date
Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 and its up to date
Related to nvmfdx64.sys NVIDIA nForce Networking. Networking not graphics and needs updating

I would remove Comodo and Spybot JUST TO TEST. Replace it with Microsoft Security essentials.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2012   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

I don't know how to update my nForce Networking. I know 100% its not my Comodo and Spybot because the BSOD still happened after a fresh install of windows with only APD game and video driver installed. My pc did not crash until now and the error was, I think, atikmpag.sys and the link you give me said to uninstall Catalyst Control Center so I did.
Was this the right thing to do? I will update you if anything happens.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2012   #7

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solundor View Post
I don't know how to update my nForce Networking. I know 100% its not my Comodo and Spybot because the BSOD still happened after a fresh install of windows with only APD game and video driver installed. My pc did not crash until now and the error was, I think, atikmpag.sys and the link you give me said to uninstall Catalyst Control Center so I did.
Was this the right thing to do? I will update you if anything happens.
Let us know if you still crash and upload the DMPS if you do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

It happened again, i was just watching some youtube videos and my screen was freaking out , the BSOD said it was the atikmpag.sys but i uninstall ccc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2012   #9

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote:
"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.

If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.

Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps Let us know if you need help
STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR troubleshooting
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 random BSOD




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33