Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BSOD after 1 hour of playing games

19 Mar 2012   #1
dumkid

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
BSOD after 1 hour of playing games

I'm having this problem of BSOD ever since I bought this custom built computer in Jan 2010. Once I've played more than 1 hour of game, either online or not, it's very likely to have BSOD sooner or later. Today, I experienced this 3 times!! I've ran Driver Update and it says "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controller" is not up to date but I couldn't find any update for it, so I tried disable it then I can play more than 6 hours. However, after I left the computer for 3 hours and came back with BSOD again. Before I try the disable, I have error code of "Driver IRQL not less or equal", but for the last BSOD this didn't should up. Here's my computer info:

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 2.67GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00GB (3.00GB usable)
NVIDIA GeforceGT 240 version 296.10

Let me know if you need additional information. Thank you very much.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Mar 2012   #2
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Avast can be a contributing cause of BSOD'S .
Please remove and replace with Microsoft Security Essentials AT LEAST TO TEST

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear5.exe

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2012   #3
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 


These crashes were caused by memory corruption/exception (`c0000005) (probably a driver).
Please run these tw o tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.


* If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
In other words STOP!!!

* If you have raid update its Driver.




Memtest.
Quote:
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.

If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+



Driver verifier

Quote:
Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Special Pool", "Force Pending I/O Requests" and "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.
If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Mar 2012   #4
dumkid

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Avast can be a contributing cause of BSOD'S .
Please remove and replace with Microsoft Security Essentials AT LEAST TO TEST

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear5.exe

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows
I just changed from AVG to avast yesterday....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2012   #5
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Our recommendation still holds.
You can choose to follow it, or not!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2012   #6
dumkid

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post

These crashes were caused by memory corruption/exception (`c0000005) (probably a driver).
Please run these tw o tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.


* If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
In other words STOP!!!

* If you have raid update its Driver.




Memtest.
Quote:
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.

If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+



Driver verifier

Quote:
Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Special Pool", "Force Pending I/O Requests" and "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.
If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
Thanks for your information but I don't understand the memtest part. after i run the computer with the cd and errors will come out, then how do i test? how to determine it's "good one"?

and how do i find out if i'm overclocking anything????

sorry, i really don't know much about computers...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2012   #7
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Re Memtest. Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Also read carefully / refer the link provided
RAM - Test with Memtest86+

As you don't know what overclocking is you are probably NOT doing it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2012   #8
dumkid

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

hi there, i've tried memtest and ran for 9 passes but still no error. then i tried driver verifier, and it crushed before i can get in windows but it didn't show "Driver IRQL not less or equal" like before.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2012   #9
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dumkid View Post
hi there, i've tried memtest and ran for 9 passes but still no error. then i tried driver verifier, and it crushed before i can get in windows but it didn't show "Driver IRQL not less or equal" like before.



Still memory corruption, not verifier enabled, and Avast is still installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2012   #10
dumkid

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dumkid View Post
hi there, i've tried memtest and ran for 9 passes but still no error. then i tried driver verifier, and it crushed before i can get in windows but it didn't show "Driver IRQL not less or equal" like before.



Still memory corruption, not verifier enabled, and Avast is still installed.
I've uninstalled avast and try to install Microsoft security essentials but it says i still have other antivirus and antispyware program in which i have no idea about.... what should i do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BSOD after 1 hour of playing games




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD playing games for about an hour
i will attach my system information and other information regarding the problem in a zip folder, hi, i have been getting BSOD for a few weeks now the error code is kernel data inpage and stop code 0x0000007A i have checked RAM and there is no problem i have checked my hard drive and there...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD whilst playing various games. Also happens when not playing games
Hello all, I've been having a few problems with my laptop since I bought it. The problem mainly occurs when I'm playing a game (usually xcom: enemy unknown or deus ex HR at the moment) but has occurred when I'm browsing the internet (albeit far less often). The BSODs appear to be random but I'm...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD playing gta4 and L4D2 and every hour or so
hi, Apologies if im not doing this right. Lately ive been getting frequent bsods usually when playing games like L4D2 and Gta or every hour. Here is what i get when my pc restarts: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3 Locale ID: 4105 ...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD after 1 hour while playing diablo3 or any other game
as you can see in the topic i get Blue Screen after 1hours (approximately) i have tried reinstalling windows 7, updated the latest firmware on my SSD, updated all other hardwares aswell. i have checked the graphic card and cpu since i thought i could've been heat/temp problem but it isn't. so...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD playing Battlefield 3 after approx 1 hour (other games fine)
Hi, Battlefield 3 crashes regulary with BSOD after playing for a while. Checked CPU Temps with CoreTemp - around 38C Checked GPU with MSI Afterburner - around 60C. Windows 7 Home 64-bit / Asus P5QLD Pro / 4GB RAM / Gefore 560 Ti / SB 5.1 VX. I have attached the dump files required by the...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App