Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: MSPaint Lockup (Vista Version on 7) ApphangB1


30 Mar 2012   #1

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
MSPaint Lockup (Vista Version on 7) ApphangB1

I'm an avid user of MS Paint, and though I found the 7 version of Paint to be somewhat lacking, I managed to replace it with my previous vista paint from my original laptop. It has been this way for months, and has run perfectly stable up until the 20th, when it started locking up.

I've tried deleting the registry keys already and nothing seems to have worked so far.

The only correlation I can find is that it seems to lock after I "save as," sometimes immedietely.

Here's what the Reliability Monitor has to say about it:

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: mspaint.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918ead
Hang Signature: d020
Hang Type: 16384
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: d020418fe7c77d3a9c60076615d14ead
Additional Hang Signature 2: 6065
Additional Hang Signature 3: 6065ca1b358c11ed262ee2eb2692d738
Additional Hang Signature 4: 8ad3
Additional Hang Signature 5: 8ad34443d034f76cdff17dfb6bc98114
Additional Hang Signature 6: 6300
Additional Hang Signature 7: 630022042f617865db49f51d6d8e1ae2

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Mar 2012   #2
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:


Click Start Menu

Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
Expand Custom Views
Click Administrative Events
Right click Administrative Events
Save all Events in Custom View As...
Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the .zip file here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2012   #3

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Alrighty, here you go.

In the meantime I've used the command prompt's error scan to reset paint back to the windows 7 version which, while wonky for me, is manageable. Though I have a backup of vistapaint in case you find out, and can show me how to fix what's wrong.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Mar 2012   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
Alrighty, here you go.

In the meantime I've used the command prompt's error scan to reset paint back to the windows 7 version which, while wonky for me, is manageable. Though I have a backup of vistapaint in case you find out, and can show me how to fix what's wrong.
Hundreds and hundreds of "BonJour" serivce errors. I would disable (or remove) at least to test.

The other (and I have personal experience with this gem) is the HP Connection Manager. I ALWAYS scrape the HP bloatware first.

No "errors" relating to paint.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2012   #5

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Hundreds and hundreds of "BonJour" serivce errors. I would disable (or remove) at least to test.

The other (and I have personal experience with this gem) is the HP Connection Manager. I ALWAYS scrape the HP bloatware first.

No "errors" relating to paint.
Apparently BonJour screw-ups are extremely common and nothing to worry about from what I've read. I need it to run iTunes and a few other programs anyways.

I have uninstalled the connection manager. Perhaps that program was the reason my browsers (and everything else that isn't skype) would occasionally just stop connecting to the internet when I'm on campus. Is it okay to remove some of the other HP crap as well, like support assistant?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2012   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Hundreds and hundreds of "BonJour" serivce errors. I would disable (or remove) at least to test.

The other (and I have personal experience with this gem) is the HP Connection Manager. I ALWAYS scrape the HP bloatware first.

No "errors" relating to paint.
Apparently BonJour screw-ups are extremely common and nothing to worry about from what I've read. I need it to run iTunes and a few other programs anyways.

I have uninstalled the connection manager. Perhaps that program was the reason my browsers (and everything else that isn't skype) would occasionally just stop connecting to the internet when I'm on campus. Is it okay to remove some of the other HP crap as well, like support assistant?
it is hard to determine what the actual problem is from just the event viewer logs. BonJour was listed as a type 1 error, but I suspect the issue was connection Mgr.

I hate HP bloatware
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #7

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

After removing some of HP's bloatware I downgraded paint to the Vista version again and tried it out, but I'm still having the same problem. Is there another way to find out what's going on?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #8

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
After removing some of HP's bloatware I downgraded paint to the Vista version again and tried it out, but I'm still having the same problem. Is there another way to find out what's going on?
Again it is a combination of things and we need the newest DMPS. Does seem to be a lot of trouble to go through for mspaint. Your call of course.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #9

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Again it is a combination of things and we need the newest DMPS. Does seem to be a lot of trouble to go through for mspaint. Your call of course.
Maybe for most people it's not really important, but it's one of my most used programs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #10

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheZman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Again it is a combination of things and we need the newest DMPS. Does seem to be a lot of trouble to go through for mspaint. Your call of course.
Maybe for most people it's not really important, but it's one of my most used programs.
If your hardware support you should be able to run it in a virtual machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 MSPaint Lockup (Vista Version on 7) ApphangB1




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: MSPaint Lockup (Vista Version on 7) ApphangB1
Thread Forum
Serious error on mspaint (transparency) Software
Solved Need to know version of vista without being able to turn PC on Backup and Restore
Solved possible to exit mspaint without prompt to save? General Discussion
Solved Should I install Vista or 7 version drivers? Drivers
Vista trial version Software
Easy Upgrade Windows Vista Any Version to Any Version 7 Installation & Setup
Any version XP or Vista to Win 7 Pro General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33