Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows fails to load (BSODs) once a day on first startup attempt


12 Apr 2012   #21

win7 pro 64bit
 
 

Left the computer on as I slept last night with verifier running (All drivers selected).

This mornig when I woke the computer started as though it was a fresh restart (not just resume) and there was a message that windows recovered from a unexpected shutdown:

Quote:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF880014651ED
BCP3: FFFFF88003EB0848
BCP4: FFFFF88003EB00A0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\041212-74100-01.dmp
C:\Users\scott\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-128170-0.sysdata.xml
Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows
If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
I have attatched the .dmp and .xml files. I should ask, is the .xml file any help to you or do you prefer just the .dmp?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Apr 2012   #22

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alkoh View Post
Left the computer on as I slept last night with verifier running (All drivers selected).

This mornig when I woke the computer started as though it was a fresh restart (not just resume) and there was a message that windows recovered from a unexpected shutdown:

Quote:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF880014651ED
BCP3: FFFFF88003EB0848
BCP4: FFFFF88003EB00A0
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\041212-74100-01.dmp
C:\Users\scott\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-128170-0.sysdata.xml
Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows
If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
I have attatched the .dmp and .xml files. I should ask, is the .xml file any help to you or do you prefer just the .dmp?
Just the DMPS are fine.

Still doesnt appear to be enabled. Please check "all drivers" in verifier. It may slow the computer down a bit but...

Please run a system file check

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2012   #23

win7 pro 64bit
 
 

Verifier is, without a doubt, running and ALL drivers are selected. Those are the options I choose when setting it up, if I go in to show current settings that is what it shows. I can also tell by how much it slows down the computer when all 150ish drivers are being verified. Also, at any time I can type verifier /query and it shows the same as I posted earlier So I am unsure what else I can do there. I Just ran sfc /scannow 3 times in a row with no results
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Apr 2012   #24

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alkoh View Post
Verifier is, without a doubt, running and ALL drivers are selected. Those are the options I choose when setting it up, if I go in to show current settings that is what it shows. I can also tell by how much it slows down the computer when all 150ish drivers are being verified. Also, at any time I can type verifier /query and it shows the same as I posted earlier So I am unsure what else I can do there. I Just ran sfc /scannow 3 times in a row with no results
It may be enabled but it is an "iffy" proposition as it said in the instructions and it only says "verified" when it find a misbehaving driver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2012   #25

win7 pro 64bit
 
 

Hopefully this dmp may help. Most of the dmps I have atatched have been from BSOD's when the computer carshes sitting idel for some time. The one I have today was from the morning start-up process which normally does not seem to generate a dmp file. This may be the first one here.




This mornings start-up process:
  • 1st start-up attempt - Before BIOS loaded, just black screen with cursor, manually restarted computer
  • 2nd start-up attempt - As Windows logo loaded, process stopped and computer auto restarted
  • 3rd start-up attempt - As windows logo loaded, computer flashed Blue screen message too fast for me to see and auto restarted
  • 4th start-up attempt - Same as 3rd
  • 5th start-up attempt - same as 3rd
  • 6th start-up attempt - Windows loaded as normal where a message was displayed that windows had BSOD'd
Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 24
BCP1: 00000000001904FB
BCP2: FFFFF880009A9078
BCP3: FFFFF880009A88D0
BCP4: FFFFF88001351EBE
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\041312-80917-01.dmp
C:\Users\scott\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-132944-0.sysdata.xml
Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows
If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
As I mentioned, these morning star-up issues was the main thing that has me trying to fix this computer but they rarely seem to record a dmp file. I had checked that verifier was runniong when the computer was shutdown and checked that verifier was runnging the moment it started.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2012   #26

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

This one crash was caused by memory_Corruption. It is not unheard of for memory to crash when cold which is why when running memtest we ask for 6-8 passes to check it cold and then heat and stress it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2012   #27

win7 pro 64bit
 
 

so should I leave the computer off for a few hours then run 6-8 memtests? Or is there a better method to accomplish this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2012   #28

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alkoh View Post
so should I leave the computer off for a few hours then run 6-8 memtests? Or is there a better method to accomplish this?
Two ideas here.

1-memtest

Allow it to cool for a couple of hours. Boot from the Memtest CD/USB. if the errors are RAM related and happen only first boot, the first memtest pass should be gruesome.

Retest warm.


2-verifier

If memtest passes the issue is probably a driver. Leave verifier running and let the computer cool for a couple of a=hours as above. Then run it till it crashes.

Repeat warm.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2012   #29

win7 pro 64bit
 
 

Success! It is funny to be so happy about finding a failure!

As per your "cold" memtest recommendation, I left the computer off and the case open last night to make sure the memory is nice and cold. This morning I booted straight into Memtest before doing anything else. Right away memtest failed every single test all the way to 37000 fails where it then began passing everything and not a single fail after that. Basically, it failed constantly for the first 30 seconds or so and then had no further issues.

I suppose the assumption is that it fails until it warms up, then operates fine when warm. That explains why I BSOD only in the mornings repeatability until the memory warms up then starts fine. Also explains why the only other time it BSOD's is after long idle periods.

So, the next question is probably obvious, but I would still like to ask. Obviously I will need to replace my RAM sticks...are there any other items that these "cold crashes" could be due to?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2012   #30

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alkoh View Post
Success! It is funny to be so happy about finding a failure!

As per your "cold" memtest recommendation, I left the computer off and the case open last night to make sure the memory is nice and cold. This morning I booted straight into Memtest before doing anything else. Right away memtest failed every single test all the way to 37000 fails where it then began passing everything and not a single fail after that. Basically, it failed constantly for the first 30 seconds or so and then had no further issues.

I suppose the assumption is that it fails until it warms up, then operates fine when warm. That explains why I BSOD only in the mornings repeatability until the memory warms up then starts fine. Also explains why the only other time it BSOD's is after long idle periods.

So, the next question is probably obvious, but I would still like to ask. Obviously I will need to replace my RAM sticks...are there any other items that these "cold crashes" could be due to?
Memtest tests both the ram and the slot it is in. Now that you have determined the problem is there you can take a known good stick and test it (cold) in each mobo slot. If all the slot have no problems with a known good stick its the ram, if a particular slot errors it may be the mobo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows fails to load (BSODs) once a day on first startup attempt




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows fails to load (BSODs) once a day on first startup attempt
Thread Forum
Windows 7, desktop GUI fails to display correctly, after high load General Discussion
Solved Windows fails to boot, startup repair fails to fix General Discussion
Windows 7 Recovery fails to load interface Backup and Restore
Compaq Presario CQ60 Laptop Fails to load Windows, and more General Discussion
Solved Windows 7 fails to load completely General Discussion
Windows 7 fails to load when Projector is attached BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33