Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Custom Build PC Random BSOD sometimes

11 Apr 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Custom Build PC Random BSOD sometimes

Hello, My friend has a Custom Built computer (1Y old) and now he has problems his computer crashing with the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE message. I hope someone can help us finding the problem any help is appreciated.

Thanks In Advance.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Apr 2012   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GianniDPC View Post
Hello, My friend has a Custom Built computer (1Y old) and now he has problems his computer crashing with the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE message. I hope someone can help us finding the problem any help is appreciated.

Thanks In Advance.
Before we can get to the underlying issue (Probably USB) There is a driver that needs to be updated or removed. Yours is from 2005

Asacpi.sys

The pre 2009 version of this driver is a known BSOD cause.
Quote:
Please visit this link: Asus tek computer inc. -support- drivers and download p7p55d le

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P7P55D LE
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P5K-VM

Scroll down to the utilities category, then scroll down to the "atk0110 driver for windowsxp/vista/windows 7 32&64-bit" (it's about the 12th item down).

Download and install it.

Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers to check and make sure that the asacpi.sys file is date stamped from 2009 or 2010 (not before).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GianniDPC View Post
Hello, My friend has a Custom Built computer (1Y old) and now he has problems his computer crashing with the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE message. I hope someone can help us finding the problem any help is appreciated.

Thanks In Advance.
Before we can get to the underlying issue (Probably USB) There is a driver that needs to be updated or removed. Yours is from 2005

Asacpi.sys

The pre 2009 version of this driver is a known BSOD cause.
Quote:
Please visit this link: Asus tek computer inc. -support- drivers and download p7p55d le

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P7P55D LE
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P5K-VM

Scroll down to the utilities category, then scroll down to the "atk0110 driver for windowsxp/vista/windows 7 32&64-bit" (it's about the 12th item down).

Download and install it.

Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers to check and make sure that the asacpi.sys file is date stamped from 2009 or 2010 (not before).
Ok installed it ASACPI.sys is dated from 2009 now. he will test now if it still crashes ...

thanks for your help !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Apr 2012   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GianniDPC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GianniDPC View Post
Hello, My friend has a Custom Built computer (1Y old) and now he has problems his computer crashing with the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE message. I hope someone can help us finding the problem any help is appreciated.

Thanks In Advance.
Before we can get to the underlying issue (Probably USB) There is a driver that needs to be updated or removed. Yours is from 2005

Asacpi.sys

The pre 2009 version of this driver is a known BSOD cause.
Quote:
Please visit this link: Asus tek computer inc. -support- drivers and download p7p55d le

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P7P55D LE
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P5K-VM

Scroll down to the utilities category, then scroll down to the "atk0110 driver for windowsxp/vista/windows 7 32&64-bit" (it's about the 12th item down).

Download and install it.

Go to c:\windows\system32\drivers to check and make sure that the asacpi.sys file is date stamped from 2009 or 2010 (not before).
Ok installed it ASACPI.sys is dated from 2009 now. he will test now if it still crashes ...

thanks for your help !
My pleasure and good luck. If you do continue to crash please upload the DMPS if available.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

My friend got the BSOD again after a while now
Can you help us further please ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2012   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Code:
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.


Loading Dump File [D:\Kingston\BSODDmpFiles\GianniDPC\042312-18423-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*C:\SymCache*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is: 
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (12 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 7601.17790.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.120305-1505
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`03618000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`0385c650
Debug session time: Mon Apr 23 10:18:32.792 2012 (UTC - 6:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:28:01.242
Loading Kernel Symbols
...............................................................
................................................................
................................................................
..........
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
........
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7A, {20, ffffffffc000009d, fffffa8008d4a078, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+505f0 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

4: kd> !analyze -v
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a)
The requested page of kernel data could not be read in.  Typically caused by
a bad block in the paging file or disk controller error. Also see
KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.
If the error status is 0xC000000E, 0xC000009C, 0xC000009D or 0xC0000185,
it means the disk subsystem has experienced a failure.
If the error status is 0xC000009A, then it means the request failed because
a filesystem failed to make forward progress.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000020, lock type that was held (value 1,2,3, or PTE address)
Arg2: ffffffffc000009d, error status (normally i/o status code)
Arg3: fffffa8008d4a078, current process (virtual address for lock type 3, or PTE)
Arg4: 0000000000000000, virtual address that could not be in-paged (or PTE contents if arg1 is a PTE address)

Debugging Details:
------------------


ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000009d - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED

DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x7a_c000009d

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME:  System

CURRENT_IRQL:  1

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff80003688d5c to fffff80003694c80

STACK_TEXT:  
fffff880`039b0818 fffff800`03688d5c : 00000000`0000007a 00000000`00000020 ffffffff`c000009d fffffa80`08d4a078 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff880`039b0820 fffff800`0367dc87 : fffffa80`08d4a010 00000000`c000009d 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`08d4a0a8 : nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+0x505f0
fffff880`039b08e0 fffff800`036876d7 : fffffa80`06d3d040 fffffa80`06d3d090 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!IopCompletePageWrite+0x57
fffff880`039b0910 fffff800`0368a8cd : fffffa80`06d3d040 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiDeliverApc+0x1c7
fffff880`039b0990 fffff800`036971da : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000103`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiCommitThreadWait+0x3dd
fffff880`039b0a20 fffff800`03625d9f : fffffa80`00000002 fffff880`039b0d20 fffffa80`00000001 00000000`00000013 : nt!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0x272
fffff880`039b0ce0 fffff800`0392efda : fffffa80`06d3d040 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000080 00000000`00000001 : nt!MiModifiedPageWriter+0xcf
fffff880`039b0d40 fffff800`036859c6 : fffff880`009b2180 fffffa80`06d3d040 fffff880`009bd1c0 00000000`00000000 : nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x5a
fffff880`039b0d80 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KxStartSystemThread+0x16


STACK_COMMAND:  kb

FOLLOWUP_IP: 
nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+505f0
fffff800`03688d5c cc              int     3

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  1

SYMBOL_NAME:  nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+505f0

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nt

IMAGE_NAME:  ntkrnlmp.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  4f558b55

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x7a_c000009d_nt!_??_::FNODOBFM::_string_+505f0

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x7a_c000009d_nt!_??_::FNODOBFM::_string_+505f0

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
The above crash "indicates defective or loose cabling, termination, or that the controller does not see the hard disk" (Bug Check 0x7A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR). Have your friend check the cabling for the hard disk. Also, it may be a good idea to make sure other devices are not part of the termination. A hardware stripdown may be a good troubleshooting step. The steps for a stripdown can be found after this paragraph. "A virus infection can also cause this bugcheck" (Bug Check 0x7A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR). Steps for scanning for viruses follow the hardware stripdown steps.
  • Hardware stripdown:

    Strip down your system to run only the bare essentials: one RAM module, the CPU, motherboard, hard disk, graphics card (or use onboard graphics if you have it), keyboard, mouse, and monitor. See how the system behaves by running Windows for twice as long as it typically takes for you to get a crash. If it is stable, add one piece of hardware back at a time until you get crashes again. Take notes of what hardware you add and how the system responds to the hardware changes.

    As you add and remove hardware, follow these steps for ESD safety:
    1. Shut down and turn off your computer.
    2. Unplug all power supplies to the computer (AC Power then battery for laptops, AC power for desktops)
    3. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds to close the circuit and ensure all power drains from components.
    4. Make sure you are grounded by using proper grounding techniques, i.e. work on an anti-static workbench, anti-static desk, or an anti-static pad. Hold something metallic while touching it to the anti-static surface, or use an anti-static wristband to attach to the anti-static material while working.
    Once these steps have been followed, it is safe to remove and replace components within your computer.

  • Download and install Malwarebytes, update it, do not start the free trial, and then run a full scan. Also run a full scan with the preferred antivirus software already installed on the system; in this case, that appears to be Norton/Symantec.

  • Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dev Center - Hardware > Learn > Debugging > Windows Debugging > Bug Checks (Blue Screens) > Bug Check Code Reference > Bug Check 0x7A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
    Check that all the adapter cards in the computer are properly seated. Use an ink eraser or an electrical contact treatment, available at electronics supply stores, to ensure adapter card contacts are clean.

    Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device that is causing the error. You can also disable memory caching of the BIOS to try to resolve this error.

    Make sure that the latest Windows Service Pack is installed.

    If the preceding steps do not resolve the error, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing. A crack, a scratched trace, or a defective component on the motherboard can cause this error.


There is one driver that should probably be updated for the Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection:
Code:
e1y60x64	fffff880`04988000	fffff880`049d1000	Mon Aug 18 15:45:05 2008 (48a9ed61)	00051f0f		e1y60x64.sys
Intel® Driver Update Utility

Often, the update utility will say that the driver version is valid, but the user should still follow the link to the latest driver. Just because the version is valid does not mean it is up to date.


I imagine some of the steps above you already knew, but I still like to provide them for completeness and for anyone else who might have similar crashes and come across this thread. Best of luck to you and your friend!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by writhziden View Post
Code:
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.


Loading Dump File [D:\Kingston\BSODDmpFiles\GianniDPC\042312-18423-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: SRV*C:\SymCache*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is: 
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (12 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 7601.17790.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.120305-1505
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`03618000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`0385c650
Debug session time: Mon Apr 23 10:18:32.792 2012 (UTC - 6:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:28:01.242
Loading Kernel Symbols
...............................................................
................................................................
................................................................
..........
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
........
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 7A, {20, ffffffffc000009d, fffffa8008d4a078, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+505f0 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

4: kd> !analyze -v
*******************************************************************************
*                                                                             *
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
*                                                                             *
*******************************************************************************

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a)
The requested page of kernel data could not be read in.  Typically caused by
a bad block in the paging file or disk controller error. Also see
KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.
If the error status is 0xC000000E, 0xC000009C, 0xC000009D or 0xC0000185,
it means the disk subsystem has experienced a failure.
If the error status is 0xC000009A, then it means the request failed because
a filesystem failed to make forward progress.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000020, lock type that was held (value 1,2,3, or PTE address)
Arg2: ffffffffc000009d, error status (normally i/o status code)
Arg3: fffffa8008d4a078, current process (virtual address for lock type 3, or PTE)
Arg4: 0000000000000000, virtual address that could not be in-paged (or PTE contents if arg1 is a PTE address)

Debugging Details:
------------------


ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000009d - STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED

DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x7a_c000009d

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME:  System

CURRENT_IRQL:  1

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff80003688d5c to fffff80003694c80

STACK_TEXT:  
fffff880`039b0818 fffff800`03688d5c : 00000000`0000007a 00000000`00000020 ffffffff`c000009d fffffa80`08d4a078 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff880`039b0820 fffff800`0367dc87 : fffffa80`08d4a010 00000000`c000009d 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`08d4a0a8 : nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+0x505f0
fffff880`039b08e0 fffff800`036876d7 : fffffa80`06d3d040 fffffa80`06d3d090 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!IopCompletePageWrite+0x57
fffff880`039b0910 fffff800`0368a8cd : fffffa80`06d3d040 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiDeliverApc+0x1c7
fffff880`039b0990 fffff800`036971da : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000103`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiCommitThreadWait+0x3dd
fffff880`039b0a20 fffff800`03625d9f : fffffa80`00000002 fffff880`039b0d20 fffffa80`00000001 00000000`00000013 : nt!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0x272
fffff880`039b0ce0 fffff800`0392efda : fffffa80`06d3d040 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000080 00000000`00000001 : nt!MiModifiedPageWriter+0xcf
fffff880`039b0d40 fffff800`036859c6 : fffff880`009b2180 fffffa80`06d3d040 fffff880`009bd1c0 00000000`00000000 : nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x5a
fffff880`039b0d80 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KxStartSystemThread+0x16


STACK_COMMAND:  kb

FOLLOWUP_IP: 
nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+505f0
fffff800`03688d5c cc              int     3

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  1

SYMBOL_NAME:  nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+505f0

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nt

IMAGE_NAME:  ntkrnlmp.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  4f558b55

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x7a_c000009d_nt!_??_::FNODOBFM::_string_+505f0

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x7a_c000009d_nt!_??_::FNODOBFM::_string_+505f0

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
The above crash "indicates defective or loose cabling, termination, or that the controller does not see the hard disk" (Bug Check 0x7A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR). Have your friend check the cabling for the hard disk. Also, it may be a good idea to make sure other devices are not part of the termination. A hardware stripdown may be a good troubleshooting step. The steps for a stripdown can be found after this paragraph. "A virus infection can also cause this bugcheck" (Bug Check 0x7A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR). Steps for scanning for viruses follow the hardware stripdown steps.
  • Hardware stripdown:

    Strip down your system to run only the bare essentials: one RAM module, the CPU, motherboard, hard disk, graphics card (or use onboard graphics if you have it), keyboard, mouse, and monitor. See how the system behaves by running Windows for twice as long as it typically takes for you to get a crash. If it is stable, add one piece of hardware back at a time until you get crashes again. Take notes of what hardware you add and how the system responds to the hardware changes.

    As you add and remove hardware, follow these steps for ESD safety:
    1. Shut down and turn off your computer.
    2. Unplug all power supplies to the computer (AC Power then battery for laptops, AC power for desktops)
    3. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds to close the circuit and ensure all power drains from components.
    4. Make sure you are grounded by using proper grounding techniques, i.e. work on an anti-static workbench, anti-static desk, or an anti-static pad. Hold something metallic while touching it to the anti-static surface, or use an anti-static wristband to attach to the anti-static material while working.
    Once these steps have been followed, it is safe to remove and replace components within your computer.

  • Download and install Malwarebytes, update it, do not start the free trial, and then run a full scan. Also run a full scan with the preferred antivirus software already installed on the system; in this case, that appears to be Norton/Symantec.

  • Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dev Center - Hardware > Learn > Debugging > Windows Debugging > Bug Checks (Blue Screens) > Bug Check Code Reference > Bug Check 0x7A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
    Check that all the adapter cards in the computer are properly seated. Use an ink eraser or an electrical contact treatment, available at electronics supply stores, to ensure adapter card contacts are clean.

    Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device that is causing the error. You can also disable memory caching of the BIOS to try to resolve this error.

    Make sure that the latest Windows Service Pack is installed.

    If the preceding steps do not resolve the error, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing. A crack, a scratched trace, or a defective component on the motherboard can cause this error.


There is one driver that should probably be updated for the Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection:
Code:
e1y60x64	fffff880`04988000	fffff880`049d1000	Mon Aug 18 15:45:05 2008 (48a9ed61)	00051f0f		e1y60x64.sys
Intel® Driver Update Utility

Often, the update utility will say that the driver version is valid, but the user should still follow the link to the latest driver. Just because the version is valid does not mean it is up to date.


I imagine some of the steps above you already knew, but I still like to provide them for completeness and for anyone else who might have similar crashes and come across this thread. Best of luck to you and your friend!
Ok I'll try if I see him ! Thanks !!! (I want to rep+ you but I must spread some around first :/)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

No worries. Just glad to help. Keep us posted on how things go after you talk to him and he has had a chance to go through the steps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Custom Build PC Random BSOD sometimes





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Custom Build PC Random BSOD sometimes
Thread Forum
Solved Random BSOD on new custom build & clean install of Win 7 Pro 64 BSOD Help and Support
Solved Random BSODs on new custom build with AMD A8 APU BSOD Help and Support
Solved Random crash on Win7 Ultimate x64 after starting custom build desktop BSOD Help and Support
Solved New custom build experiencing random freezes PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Custom build, Random BSOD, ntoskrnl.exe, dxgmms1.sys BSOD Help and Support
New custom build system. 60+ clean installs. Always random BSODs. BSOD Help and Support
BSOD on custom build BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33